i gave my curve 8900 to my brother, who doesnt need data plan. but would ... BlackBerry Curve forum

fondoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A26BE1

gmail app on wifi?

Advertisement

i gave my curve 8900 to my brother, who doesnt need data plan. but would like to use the wifi to get his gmail emails. gmail app doesnt allow you to get email thru wifi. is there a email client that works on wifi?
    Upgraded the BlackBerry Curve to BlackBerry Bold 12/1/08.

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    i think the best bet would be to just use the browser...
    i see RED...

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Browser for gmail on wifi. As far as I know there's no other way with gmail and wifi.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

PIN/ID
    ask me
    i read once of a third party app for email on bbs... you may want to search for that... id give you a link but i dont know what its called... this was weeks ago...
    i see RED...

khanection no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hey guys, i signed up for this forum just to give you this response. i just got an 8900 and was disappointed that i could not use apps with WiFi unlike the iPhone. However, i signed up for data plan from my carrier for 1-2 days... downloaded and started using the gmail app. i then canceled the data plan and now i can use those installed apps with wifi... wuhu. HTH.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    i find that quite intriguing... i have tried using the gmail app on just wifi, and it didnt work for me...
    i see RED...

turtleturtle no está en línea Stack level 1

Updates

Hello,

Has anyone else tried what the above poster mentioned. I would like to use gmail without a data plan, but do not mind paying for one month. Thanks

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by turtleturtle View Post
    Hello,

Has anyone else tried what the above poster mentioned. I would like to use gmail without a data plan, but do not mind paying for one month. Thanks
    Only thing I can think of is perhaps when he signed up for the data plan, a specific service book(s) was/were pushed to his device and after cancelling, they remained on the device. I haven't tried this on my device yet, but I will later today and get back with you.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

fondoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A26BE1
    I've tried this. Once you've reboot the 8900 the gmail app will stop working
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.282 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

turtleturtle no está en línea Stack level 1
    Oh well I thought there would be a way around this silly rule. Why does google design there apps not to use wifi, of all companies you would think they would be liberal about this.

I guess I would have to use opera mini. Does anyone use opera on wifi with gmail. How is the interface, is it simple to send and read messages. Of course you would have to logon everytime right?

Thanks

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Yeah, you'd have to login to use it as without a data plan, you won't have push, so you'd have to 'pull'. Facebook won't work on a Wi-Fi connection either, as is the case with a few others out there.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

khanection no está en línea Stack level 1

Prorated data plan

Fondoo,

i just learned you are quite right about rebooting killing this glamorous glitch. However, please note that T-Mobile data plan is prorated. You can sign up for a day and then cancel. You would pay for just that day... So if you don't reboot often this may work if you really want the gmail app to work.

Thanks!

jriano no está en línea Stack level 1

You can use Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, IMs and more

I have a Blackberry withouth a data plan and I found apps for almost everying, apps that work over Wi-Fi.
    The best is they are free.
    I wrote a post in my blog with the details and links to download the apps.
    http://juanriano.com/2010/05/free-bl...un-over-wi-fi/