Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is my first post here and I am a new Blackberry user convert from ... BlackBerry Curve forum

brikuda no está en línea Stack level 1

Gmail App and BIS...Need some direction

Advertisement

This is my first post here and I am a new Blackberry user convert from Treo. One of the main reasons I bought a BB was for the push email function. I am also a big fan of gmail and am currently using the gmail app for my small businesses primary email server/host.

I downloaded the gmail app onto my BB and quickly noticed that I do not get an alert when a new mail is sent to my gmail account. However, I want to keep the gmail app on the phone because i like the functionality of the gmail app and the things it allows me to do.

My question is this, if I use BIS to add my gmail account to my phone so I get live alerts, what are the drawbacks I will get from having both the gmail app and the BIS pulling my gmail at the same time? I read in some earlier posts where it says I will get the mail that I send out via gmail back to me through the BIS linked account unless I set up a filter. How can I set this filter up?

Essentially I am looking for the ability to get my gmail account email updated with an alert live (ie via push) but at the same time have the option to utilize the gmail app functionality on my phone. There are times when i want to use my email in a sense as text messaging, getting messages instantly and sending them right back, and i want this to appear to come from my gmail account. At the same time, there are other times, when i will want to send mail through the gmail app because the timing is not as important. Any suggestions???

Thanks!

jgirly2 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: Gmail App and BIS...Need some direction

The only to set up filter/s, is through your gmail account via computer.

Hope this helps.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

You could use both, get Gmail pushed to you with BIS for live push. You can start the gmail app whenever you want, It doesn't have to be running all the time unless you want it to. The app is more of a poll/pull every so often minutes.

akosnitzky no está en línea Stack level 3

To address your third paragraph, to avoid getting your messages sent back to you, go into your BIS Settings.

Create a filter, with the rule that anything sent with your gmail account in the "from field" , click do not forward to handheld.

brikuda no está en línea Stack level 1

so what, if any, changes would I need to make in my gmail settings? I just set up the account with BIS and set up a filter in my BIS settings.

Also, how can I change the settings on my gmail app on my BB to avoid it from automatically checking for mail?

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

You won't have to make any changes to your gmail account settings. You also don't have to worry about the gmail app on your phone checking for mail. It will not do anything to the account until you open it and access messages using the app.

I have two separate gmail accounts pushing to my phone thru BIS, and I use one of them with the Gmail App as well. Works just fine for me.

Good luck, and welcome to the stacks.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

Tking4 no está en línea Stack level 1

Any idea how to get gmail to poll your pop email accounts more often? Sometime I don't get my email pushed from gmail for 20 minutes +.thanks

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

You could always forward your gmail (using a filter on Gmail) to your *.blackberry.net carrier address for BIS. The carrier address is push. The downside is you'd lose reconciliation of deletes (but with 2800MB+ quota, who cares?)
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4

johel no está en línea Stack level 1

What does BIS means and how I change the settings...sorry for the dumb question

andyni no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    256302E0

Quote Originally Posted by johel
    BIS stands for Blackberry Internet Service.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    -
    And what settings do you want to change?

Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional

Quote Originally Posted by akosnitzky
    To address your third paragraph, to avoid getting your messages sent back to you, go into your BIS Settings.

Create a filter, with the rule that anything sent with your gmail account in the "from field" , click do not forward to handheld.
    Thanks, I'm a Noob w/BB as well and thanks for this answer...

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional

Well, if you have AT&T Service, you can find BIS here: https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular

iridemybike no está en línea Stack Professional

Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu
    You won't have to make any changes to your gmail account settings. You also don't have to worry about the gmail app on your phone checking for mail. It will not do anything to the account until you open it and access messages using the app.

I have two separate gmail accounts pushing to my phone thru BIS, and I use one of them with the Gmail App as well. Works just fine for me.

Good luck, and welcome to the stacks.
    I'm doing the same thing and it works just fine for me too. 2 pushed gmail accounts and using the gmail app with one of them as well. I haven't had any problems since I started this a month and a half ago.

Tucker

johel no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    -
    And what settings do you want to change?

Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~
    thanks for the replies....I want to create a filter to avoid getting the email confirmation back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast