Hi!!! Ive had a line of Windows based PDA's over the years and as im ... BlackBerry Curve forum

mic8310 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    25588d8d

Getting a 8310 tomorrow!

Advertisement

Hi!!! Ive had a line of Windows based PDA's over the years and as im due for an upgrade ive decided to go for a BB Ive had a good read of this site but cant seem to find any comparison between windows/BB. I was a bit dissapointed to find i couldnt install tomtom on a BB but im with vodafone and they do their own satnav so at least thats one less thing to worry about!!

anyway, im looking forward to getting it, im hoping it does everything i want it to do!! im more of a gadget man than a business man!

cheers

mic

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Well welcome to the good side ....

and Welcome to pinstack, don't hesitate to search the forums for answers etc. and if you have questions feel free to ask!

Enjoy!
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

pegb856 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    A Colata
    Ahhh 8310.. Great choice, wonderful device. So much more stable than WM Devices or Palms.

Welcome to Pinstack!

potthoff no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Gotta love the 8310. I love mine. Welcome to the stacks!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Hello mic8310 and welcome to Pinstack! There may be a few comparisons re: Blackberry vs. Windows on Pinstack but honestly, we at Pinstack are so convinced that BB's are superior to the competition, it wouldn't be a very objective comparison.

You will find that a number of Pinstack member previously owned other-than BB devices - you may see comments verifying that fact as you read and post in Pinstack.

Here are a few comparisons you could take a look at:

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_archives/apr05/wmvsrim.aspx

http://searchmobilecomputing.techtar...220209,00.html

http://tech.propeller.com/story/2008...omment/1658126

I wish you success with your new 8310 and happy times as a member of Pinstack.

Again, welcome to the stacks!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

SanaTizer no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249e3b2f
    Congratulations mic8310 and welcome to Pinstack. I was a WM user for a few years. I was never too keen on the scroll wheel thing on the 8700's, but when the Curve was released.... .

I have been very happy with it and I'm sure you will to. Although there are a few things I miss from WM. The auto profile settings from your calendar would be the biggest, but what that misses on, EVERYTHING is much better. No more daily reboots (sometimes 3 times) to get a feature to work on WM.

I use Mapquest Navigator for the TomTom replacement, although I don't like the monthly charge, the maps are more accurate than having to locate the current map from TomTom and loading that on your device.

PinStack's has been THE best place for questions about any Blackberry issue I've had. You have made a good choice and you will not be disappointed.

dilipc no está en línea Stack level 3
    I plan on upgrading from a 8800 to a 8310 today or tomorrow. Anyone has any ideas if I shouldn't? Grateful for any advise.
    Further, how do I just transfer the user data, and not programs, if I do upgrade? Is "Advanced" in backup the only way?

BigHulkDiese no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22BF6200
    The best way is to sync your 8800 with your desktop (Calendar, contacts, memos, etc. with Outlook) Then when you get the curve, just sync with the desktop manager again and pull all the info back from outlook.

Einherjer no está en línea Stack level 5
    Welcome! Main differences? Push email on the blackberry and you can't modify excel/word attachements. No push mail on WM and you can modify excel/word files. The rim OS is much more stable and easier to use.

dilipc no está en línea Stack level 3
    Ok, I took the plunge! I'm writing this with my 8310, successfully synced with my uset data from my old 8800. Yay, I'm loving it!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Welcome! Main differences? Push email on the blackberry and you can't modify excel/word attachements. No push mail on WM and you can modify excel/word files. The rim OS is much more stable and easier to use.
    Agree completely on the OS Stability vs WM.

As far as modify Office docs, the forthcoming 4.5 OS upgrade will include "Documents To Go" which will allow you to read Word, Excel, and Powerpoint docs. Unfortunately, (at least on the OS package I have) the Docs to Go is the "free" Standard package. If you want the ability to Create New or Edit, you'll have to upgrade (Read: Purchase) to the "Premium" edition of Docs to Go.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

TheRiddler no está en línea Stack level 5
    Never a WM user but a former Palm user (I know, I know...admitting your problem is the first step). BB user now and the reason you see so little doing comparisons is because, quite simply, there is no comparison. Embrace the BB and never look back because it ain't that pretty back there (unless you are like Shakira and well, that is another story). I used to use Docs to Go and was never really a big fan. Yeah it sounds neat to get the docs on your device but I always found it rather frustrating to resize and scroll around to follow a doc that way.

Congrats and good luck. There are a lot of great folks here that will help you with any question you may have. I am not one of them though...I am just like a distant cousin who is a big smart a$$ that the family hopes will not show up for the holidays.