Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here's some dirt that's sure to heat up the iPhone debates over the next 20 ... BlackBerry Curve forum

billytickets no está en línea Stack level 2

from engadget many reason why the curve is better than the iphone

Advertisement

Here's some dirt that's sure to heat up the iPhone debates over the next 20 days. According to alleged scans from the "iPhone Sales Training Workbook," we're seeing a vast array of features that we were already fully aware of, but here's the skinny on what you may have not known until now:
    • No one-touch dialing (two touches at a minimum)
    • Vibrate mode is included
    • Voice dialing is not mentioned as a feature, though it's not specifically excluded either
    • Users can have a voice conversation whilst browsing the web "when WiFi access is available"
    • iPhone users will not be able to conduct IM conversations with instant messaging users
    • Emailing videos and pictures are a go, MMS is not supported
    • MEdia Mail won't be used for ringtone and answertone downloads
    • MEdia Net, MobiTV, and Cellular Video are (unsurprisingly) not available for the iPhone
    • iTunes will sync iPhone with the Address Book on Macs or Outlook/Outlook Expess on PCs
    • No GPS or TeleNav support, sorry Google hopefuls
    I cannot believe that a consumer driven phone like the iphone will not have the ability to send MMS

but Jobs has shown with the Ipod he like to be able to upsell you after 6-12 months so i guess alot of these missing features will be on later models...notice everything the Iphone cant do the Curve can do now! except for wifi
    Last edited by I7oobie; 06-26-2007 at 03:16 PM.
    my phones
    7130e Sprint
    N93 Nokia Tmobile
    8300 Curve ATT

http://nokiberry.blogspot.com/
    my little blog on phones

http://tixxalert.blogspot.com
    my little blog about NY Theater

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: from engadget many reason why the curve is better than the iphone

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I am totally confused about the instant messaging feature. Are they releasing it with the software and crippling it or not including it at all? I posted this question in another thread and never got a definitive answer. I have no interest in the iPhone but confused.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~iphone's touch screen keyboard sucks, it must be hard to type on those.

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

My guess is they are not including any IM software initially. I would guess that web-based IM will work initially, until some developer releases a iPhone specific chat application.

Actually, I think it will be 3 keypresses to speed dial. 1. to unlock iPhone (slide), 2. to select phone app, 3. to select speed dial choice. Not the end of the world.

Personally I think virtual keyboards suck and I see that as its biggest negative. You try to IM someone one-handed while driving down the highway at 80. (no sir, I've never done that, no sir, I would never think of doing that, just being hypothetical)

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

Quote Originally Posted by flash24
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~iphone's touch screen keyboard sucks, it must be hard to type on those.
    I actually think it's pretty innovative and forward thinking of Apple... I'm a Mac user and love the GUI that they continue to develop and present to customers for all of their stock (Macs, iPod....), however, from functionality perspective... I'm digging my Curve -

It's the perfect blend of fun and function to me... I would love to play with an iPhone for a week or two.. but, after not being able to access my corporate email, having few options for 3rd party apps, not having easy & open IM avaialability - I'll pass

At least until a model 1 to 2 years from now adds some of those dire necessities.

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

jloverg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

if they wait 2 years to release the second model you will be with a Blackberry my friend because you will have more than what they have again but Iphone if they give me 1 for free i will sale i wont go to cingular for thenm i am not into the keyboard too

exilio no está en línea Stack level 2

This is why I am waiting for iPhone v2. They will have time to learn from their mistakes, lower the price, increase the features and make a better overall phone. For now, the Curve is GREAT!

gruv15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2404AE69

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~By the time iPhone 2 makes it to the masses. RIM will have a phone that will do wifi,gps, and hopefully a full browser. No worries for me jumping ship. Keep the new advanced Berries coming. Thanks for the great devices RIM.

jwlussow no está en línea Stack level 3

RIM does make great phones but they do not support any OS but Windows. That will be a problem for them unless they get their noses out of Bill Gates butt.

The iPhone has IM it doesn't support MMS at this time. IM works fine. You just can't send multimedia with the instant message.

Jeff Han's multi touch has been proven and will last. Does anybody pay attention to anything but FUD? This is the first consumer use of an incredible technology that will be seen everywhere within a few years. There are company's using Jeff Han's invention to replace the entire keyboard on laptops. This isn't your father's toch screen!

Wow, I amazed at the people that will bad mouth a product that they have never seen or used and the fact that it gets criticized for not allowing POP email and doesn't have security, and doesn't have SMS and doesn't talk to other networks and....just goes to prove that the "masses are asses". Last time I checked it does support POP and it does have security and it does have SMS and it does allow calls to other networks. Please do us a favor and don't buy one but please leave your lies and FUD at the door. I can't help it if you can't look into the future and imagine the changes the industry are about to go through. It's just some new technologies and ways of doing business. The changes that this brings will be huge. Someday BB will be offering a multi touch screen and you will be there talking about how great it is...don't you find that funny?

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by jwlussow
    This is the first consumer use of an incredible technology that will be seen everywhere within a few years.
    This is not true.

The iPhone is very late to the touchscreen party. The Prada and Samsung phones are two that come to mind. They are already in use and doing very well.

While I believe there is a place for the iPhone as a novelty entertainment device, it will be in that sector only.

I am a very long standing, loyal Apple customer that enjoys using their notebook computers, iPods, etc. As a businessman I also understand target marketing. This is something that Apple does quite well, and yet the limiting factor for them is that they tend to define very narrow markets. Thus they have a very small percentage of market share in most of their product lines save perhaps the iPod.

The mobile cell phone business has more than enough room for devices for different target markets. The iPhone will certainly be a success in the narrow market they have set for themselves.

DiscoStatus no está en línea Stack level 1

iphone is going to be the biggest disappointment to most people just the fact that its all touch screen... the wow factor is there but I have found out that touch screen on most phones are only good for easy navigation. I can see the iphone not selling that well for that reason only.

sigmamason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22BFEE32

It will have initial success at launch, however, I suspect that return rates will be high from the "business/consumer" crowd. I mean those people like me that want a PDA type device with some level of fun built in.
    No push mail limits our chances of doing work on the road, touch screen keypad similar to early Palm models sucks in terms of reliabilty but will be a big hit to the young crowd that are extremely mac devoted and think that i-tap is great...

At the end of the day, devices like blackberrys, treos and other qwerty devices (regardless of OS) will dominate the landscape of the business minded user as email accessibility, and ability to use job-related programs are far more important...
    We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight!!

Quote Originally Posted by archer6
    This is not true.

The iPhone is very late to the touchscreen party. The Prada and Samsung phones are two that come to mind. They are already in use and doing very well.

While I believe there is a place for the iPhone as a novelty entertainment device, it will be in that sector only.

I am a very long standing, loyal Apple customer that enjoys using their notebook computers, iPods, etc. As a businessman I also understand target marketing. This is something that Apple does quite well, and yet the limiting factor for them is that they tend to define very narrow markets. Thus they have a very small percentage of market share in most of their product lines save perhaps the iPod.

The mobile cell phone business has more than enough room for devices for different target markets. The iPhone will certainly be a success in the narrow market they have set for themselves.
    The screen used on the iPhone was created by Jeff Han. It was first demoed last year. No one has ever used this before. Comparing a 1982 Yugo to a 2007 Corvette might work for you but this is new technology, even if it has an old name.

It is amazing how many people here have stated that the touch screen sucks...even staed as fact...but NO ONE here has used it. I saw a demo of the technology and believe me, you have never used the multi touch screen.

engaget had a post that said the iPhone can only make calls to other cell phones on the AT&T network!!! How many of you believed that one?

If you are going to state a fact about the iPhone, please let us know when and where you used one.

I guess FUD is FUD.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmamason
    It will have initial success at launch, however, I suspect that return rates will be high from the "business/consumer" crowd. I mean those people like me that want a PDA type device with some level of fun built in.
    No push mail limits our chances of doing work on the road, touch screen keypad similar to early Palm models sucks in terms of reliabilty but will be a big hit to the young crowd that are extremely mac devoted and think that i-tap is great...

At the end of the day, devices like blackberrys, treos and other qwerty devices (regardless of OS) will dominate the landscape of the business minded user as email accessibility, and ability to use job-related programs are far more important...
    Again, where do you see it has no push email? FUD. It does and it also supports POP and IMAP (same people said there was no POP support). The multi touch screen has not been used in a consumer device yet but you already know it sucks. Amazing!!!

Please let us know who will win the world series in 2009 so I can save up to bet on it now.

WOW, the masses are asses.....

Comparing the year old Multi Touch screen to the old touch screen is very funny. Since a car is a car you should be happy trading that 2007 BMW or Corvette for that 1980s Yugo. They are the same thing, right?

FUD FUD FUD keep going, only a few days left....

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by jwlussow
    Again, where do you see it has no push email? FUD. It does and it also supports POP and IMAP (same people said there was no POP support).
    The only push email currently supported is Yahoo Mail (though I would guess that Gmail would be coming soon since they seem to have such a close partnership). Same applies to wireless calendar & contacts sync, Yahoo Mail. So if you use Yahoo for your mail, calendar, and contacts... you are golden! Otherwise, better start learning how to use the Yahoo sync tools to synchronize your Outlook manually whenever you need an update (yahoo's tool doesn't support timed updated).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast