Just passing on some FYI, which you may already know, with the 8310 and download ... BlackBerry Curve forum

FlightMedic1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23F25AA2

Thumbs up FREE GPS Navigation with 8310 & Google

Advertisement

Just passing on some FYI, which you may already know, with the 8310 and download the new version of google maps onto your phone you get free navigation instead of paying for it with telenav. It works very well and is very accurate from what I have done with it so far!
    Last edited by FlightMedic1; 12-21-2007 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Missed a word

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: FREE GPS with 8310 & Google

If you like that, take a look at the list of software in my (somewhat out of date) Mini Version Tracker software list (link in sig). There are several apps listed with GPS noted - most of which are free!
    JerryD

MaryBethLowell no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: FREE GPS Navigation with 8310 & Google

Quote Originally Posted by FlightMedic1 View Post
    Just passing on some FYI, which you may already know, with the 8310 and download the new version of google maps onto your phone you get free navigation instead of paying for it with telenav. It works very well and is very accurate from what I have done with it so far!
    FlightMedic1: Mary Beth from TeleNav here - just to clarify for those that aren't familiar with our service - it's very different than Google Maps. Using TeleNav GPS Navigator on your 8310 is essentially just like having a GPS device like Garmin or Tom Tom. It provides turn-by-turn voice and on-screen directions with 3D maps. Google Maps is a static map application - it's essentially just like using Google Maps or Mapquest online. You will need to read the written directions on the screen or look at the map - it won't automatically navigate you or reroute you if you miss a turn.

Hope this helps explain the difference between the two. As an aside, TeleNav also has a free application on the 8310 called TeleNav Maps - it is similar to Google or BlackBerry Maps.

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~but telenav is very out of date. I used it when I had nextel and one of the interstates that run thru my state has the old mile marks still in the system. I emailed telenav about it and they said it does take time when info changes. Only problem those mile marks changed over 10 years ago.

armus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31833E7E

TelNav has its uses especially if you're in a new city or have no sense of direction. Me, I'm too cheap to pay for something that a little work (if you call clicking and searching, work) can accomplish. I was with TelNav for almost a year, I might have used it 12 times in that year. Half the time I couldn't use it because of pairing problems with the puck or no service in the area. That's something no one tells you, without cell phone service you can't get a map or anything. I'm in a half-rural environment so frequently was SOL. I can't see paying for that.

Skier87 no está en línea Stack level 3

some will download the entire route immediately, as well as surrounding roads, so that you can continue using it without cell provider service... even if you go off course... i think mapquest navigator is one of the ones with this feature.

tafaghodi no está en línea Stack level 3

This is not free gps. Google maps uses cell towers to estimate where you are. There is no gps involved

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Here's my take, based on my rather extensive experience with several forms of GPS over the last eight years. My experienced began with built in GPS systems in the various new MBZ cars I bought each year since year 2000. As I drive 70k per year & replace the car with a new one each year.
    I currently have built in true GPS in a few of my 2008 cars, such as my new LS460 Lexus, BMW 7 series, etc. 99% of all these auto companies use the very same vendor for the map data, & that company is NAVTECH.

So the point is that hardware aside, everyone uses this same source for the actual mapping data. Therefore it's only as good as the age of the data supplied. That's why NAVTECH offers annual updates in the form of new DVD's (for sale to the car owners) for those auto makers that use DVD based systems.

In terms of operation, the database of maps reside in the cars DVD system. Then there is an antenna or "puck" mounted on the roof to send & receive data from the satellites as to the location of the car as it travels along the road. Thus this part of the system is only as good as the hardware provided and how it is implemented. Due to the high cost of that equipment it was only available in high end luxury vehicles years ago, but now as most of you are aware of "trickle down" has reduced the costs & it is widely available in Honda's & Toyota's to name a few.

Now moving on to handheld units, no matter if it's a dedicated GPS device or a BlackBerry the basics are the same.

This is where the confusion lies for those people who are unfamiliar with true GPS systems vs mapping variants like Google maps & others which are NOT GPS but rather alternatives that do not use the GPS satellites to locate the device.

In the case of Google Maps, they use a system known as triangleation which locates your BlackBerry via the cell phone signal & it's approximate position between towers. This will never be as accurate as the true GPS (Global Positioning System) using satellites, however it's improving & since it does not require satellites & the related transponder in the phone, Google maps will work in nearly any phone.

Hopefully this offers clarification for those of you new to the varous forms of navigation.

~via Red BB 8310 (wap.pinstack.com)~

J-Reyez no está en línea Stack level 1

how do u do that ? download it to ur phone?

bonebox no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    This is where the confusion lies for those people who are unfamiliar with true GPS systems vs mapping variants like Google maps & others which are NOT GPS but rather alternatives that do not use the GPS satellites to locate the device.

In the case of Google Maps, they use a system known as triangleation which locates your BlackBerry via the cell phone signal & it's approximate position between towers. This will never be as accurate as the true GPS (Global Positioning System) using satellites, however it's improving & since it does not require satellites & the related transponder in the phone, Google maps will work in nearly any phone.

Hopefully this offers clarification for those of you new to the varous forms of navigation.

~via Red BB 8310 (wap.pinstack.com)~
    That's not entirely true. Newer versions of Google Maps do offer true GPS via satellites IF your BlackBerry has a GPS antennae via a puck or built in. Otherwise, yes it will default to cell tower triangulation.
    Last edited by bonebox; 01-08-2008 at 05:10 PM.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by bonebox View Post
    That's not entirely true. Newer versions of Google Maps do offer true GPS via satellites IF your BlackBerry has a GPS antennae via a puck or built in. Otherwise, yes it will default to cell tower triangulation.
    You are correct. Perhaps I did not word my post clearly, as I was addressing the issue of Google Maps being usable on any phone without having to have built in GPS.

As far as those phones that do have GPS, such as my 8310, it simply works even better as the location is pinpointed much closer and the time it takes to "find" your location is much faster.

Thanks for bringing that up.
    Cheers....