I am using an 8830 from Sprint, OS is 4.5.0.131 Google Maps is not using ... BlackBerry Curve forum

eettinger no está en línea Stack level 1

Force Google Maps to use GPS

Advertisement

I am using an 8830 from Sprint, OS is 4.5.0.131

Google Maps is not using the internal GPS chip and relying solely on the cell tower triangulation method.

I installed GMaps and used it before I had activated the GPS chip. In the GMaps options, there is no way I can see to force it to use the GPS chip.

I have tried un-and-reinstalling GMaps, but it didn't work.

Anyone know a way to get GMaps to use the GPS chip?
    BlackBerry8330m/4.5.0.131 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

preacher2b no está en línea Stack level 1

Post Google BUG!

GMaps has a bug. It is not compatible with the "8330m" or the "8830m". They are aware of this and have not fixed it - it has been several months with no fix.

Search for:

Sprint Blackberry 8330 internal GPS is not working with Google maps 3.0.2

I cannot link yet.

stixx no está en línea Stack level 2
    well I have google maps on my 8330 from sprint, and it uses the gps. What you may have to do is go into applications and manually set it up for google. The first time I installed it, it automatically used the gps and had to wipe phone and reinstall my programs and it wouldn't use gps but after messing around with the app settings everything is fine.

stixx:
    do you have a "8330" or "8330m" There is a difference. I have both (mine, my wife's). On the "8330" GMaps works like it should, using the internal GPS, whereas on the "8330m" GMaps only cell tower triangulation is operational (there is also an option for external GPS).

I did notice that within Options>Advanced>Applications>Google Maps 3.0.2 "Description: Maps, directions, local business listings, and more. (dc=gorganic)" [This is the "8330m"]

cf. "Description: Maps, directions, local business listings, and more. (dc=PackWeb)" [This is the "8330"]

P.S. Both are from Sprint.

--Edit--
    I see that PackWeb and gorganic are both available for GMaps to Download. I have uninstalled gorganic and am going to attempt to install PackWeb. I'll post to inform on results.
    Last edited by preacher2b; 09-28-2009 at 01:27 PM.

Still No Go

After changing the application to PackWeb, "8330m" still does not use GPS, only triangulation.

stixx no está en línea Stack level 2
    sorry didn't respond sooner but you didn't say if you looked into changing G Maps properties settings if anything hit me up 31b1ef59

automan69 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Try this to see if it works. Just remember everytime you do a battery pull you have to do this steps again.The first step is to go to options and scroll down for status and click on it. Now you just type TEST and a pop up window will show you Device Self test Application. This is where you click your tracker ball and a pop up windown show. Click on start then you will see a list, scroll down to GPS and click on the box. It will put a checkmark. Then scroll down and click RUN. This will open up and window, you should see GPS idle, click on this and click start fix. It could take up to 2 minutes to find your Gps fix. Don't worrier if it says time out just go to startfix again.Now it has found your fix click trackball and click next. It will ask you to go to the next fix click yes, it will ask you did this past the test. Click yes. It will now say no more test click close. Now Hit you menu button and close. You are all done and your bbm and gm will work.These steps work on all blackberrys.
    BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126