Have you all done clean installs or did you upgrade on top of your existing ... BlackBerry Curve forum

privax no está en línea Stack level 3

For all of you Sprint/Verizon customers who upgraded to 4.5...

Advertisement

Have you all done clean installs or did you upgrade on top of your existing 4.3 o/s?

I'm trying to find out if it really makes a difference.. I did both originally at one point a few weeks ago back when I was using a beta 4.5 but I'm not sure if I want to do it again.

If I do a clean install and install the 4.5 from Bell will the Sprint theme still be there?

bbueding no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I upgraded from OS 4.3 to OS 4.5. I am on Verizon and used the Bell South upgrade, and yes all of my Verizon themes are still there, I did delete the vendor xml file. I don't see a lot of difference, but I have a lot more free memory.

kamelwithak no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20E127A8
    I did the upgrade and I still had the sprint theme but I think the extra memory came from the preloaded pictures I went to set a backround and the preloaded folder was empty idk if I'm the only one but other than that it works very nicely and I love the email~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

rigo88 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    35a500f3
    how did u get the sprint os i cant even get it ?

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3
    You wont find a Sprint release. Do this, press the left Alt, left Shift, and the H key. One of the first things you will see is the Vendor ID. Sprint's is 104.

All of the operators themes are included with the handheld software packages. Depending on which phone you have, you'll find a Blackberry.alx file in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\xxxx-vx.x.x.x_Px.x.x.x (x = your model, os, and platform version). If you edit this file, you can add your phone's Vender ID to any of the themes by adding a pipe | after the last vendor id listed. If you rerun the desktop manager, it will install the themes from the other companys as well. I like Verizon's Zen theme and I've always included it before I upgraded. Themes from AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, TIM, Rogers, etc are all there. You just have to add your vendor id to the theme you like and you're all set to go.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Smurf2598 no está en línea Themes Expert
    PIN/ID
    320FE245
    u know more vendor id's??
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]~~ J. SMURF <~~[/FONT]

BBThemesUnltd
    --- My Site
    Follow me on Twitter
    @JSmurfy
    @BBThemesUnltd

They're all listed in the Blackberry.alx. Each vendor has their own. All you have to do is search for the vendor theme in the Blackberry.alx, add your own vendor id and the theme will install.

privax no está en línea Stack level 3
    My question was has anyone done a clean install to 4.5?

Meaning did you format your entire phone and then install the 4.5 O/S from a seperate carrier instead of just installing on top of the existing o/s?

And what are the pros/cons by doing that?

I already know how to do the installation, and how to unlock themes.. that I've been doing for the past three years.

The people above didn't know how to unlock the other themes so that info was passed. I've done complete installs and I've done upgrades. There are no benefits at all as the entire phone is wiped during the installation process.

Upon the upgrade process this is what happens:
    1. The different databases and programs are backed up.
    2. The desktop manager issues a format command to the phone and all the data is removed.
    3. Once the JVM restarts on the phone the handheld operating system is loaded from the software package on your desktop in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\x directory.
    4. The next step is restoring the backup data (which is stored in a regular .ipd file) and the software you had prior will also be backed up if you instructed the software to do so.

In my opinion is that wiping it to the point you get a Error 507 is pointless.

mariob no está en línea Stack level 1
    from 4.3 to 4.5 what i have found the biggest difference in is the web browser it is much better pages that where all weird looking on 4.3 are much better on 4.5 i am very glad i upgraded but if the web isn't a big deal then i would stay until we get a officer release