Advertisement

how do you do that?

BigHulkDiese no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22BF6200
    Do what?

supraman753 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHulkDiese View Post
    Mine did fine. Actually feels more scratch resistant then the original paint.
    How long have you had it painted?

anyone know where the OPs at? or his email address...

darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    retired
    i have been thinking of using car paint, I think it would be tougher and more resistant than the Krylon... whatcha think?

Love the lime green, very original.... cant see the full orange image though.

BigHulkDiese no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22BF6200
    Quote Originally Posted by supraman753 View Post
    How long have you had it painted?
    Probably 3 weeks now.

thinkin about doin this myself. what kinda krylon paint... theres a bunch to choose from from the plastics section on their site..cant post a link yet

and what kinda clear coat?
    Last edited by supraman753; 08-25-2008 at 08:12 PM.

twistedwrench no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2481b1ea
    Nice work man. Quick question tho the little sticker over the screw is how they know its been open right? What do you do about that?~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

dianic no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hey pinstackers...
    I have been following this forum for quite some time now, thanks for all the valuable info to everyone. I am glad I can contribute for the first time.

I did pain mine flat black as well and boy was it gorgeous.
    however several pitfalls to watch out for.

1. Masking around the screen is tough. To make a 100% perfect result. I do wonder if a screen protector would have been the best way to do that as it is precut in that size, but you need it to stick very well on the edges, paint has a tendency to go under the corners.

2. Although paint is heavy and if you spray from the top it wont go behind the screen, the VARNISH (clear coat) WILL!! Mask both sides of the screen, the back of course needs to just be protected not perfectly masked.

3. Use satin of flat varnish. Regular varnish on flat paint will make it shiny.

4. It is quite hard to do thin layers from a distance you do need practice. And its best to do several coats and let dry very very well. Remember that the varnish seals the paint, and no matter how many hours you have left it, the paint is still alive under the varnish for several days. Do not abuse your phone for the first few days, it will be sensitive.

5. When removing the tape from the screen cut the layers of paint and varnish with a blade before lifting, or the paint will lift as well. This is a very delicate exercise as the screen is clear, the masking is not 100% on the edge so the blade could scratch your screen. Watch the corners the most.

and finally...
    DONT DROP IT AFTER!!! Mine did hold for several weeks quite nicely I have to say but unfortunately while on vacation I dropped it. OOPS. There goes all my effort. Scratched... So back to scratch we are. Also, I found that using the leather pouch was not good, although I had a new one (the old one was broken in but I seem to have lost it so got a new one from ebay) which was tighter. It did somewhat lift the paint in the areas around the screen as it would stick when I pushed it in. Perhaps had it dried more it would have been better or perhaps I should have used more layers of clear coat. I did 3 layers of paint and 2 of clear coat but the clearcoats wherent apart more than 1-2 hours. However remember in Greece it was 30odd degrees at the time that is Celcius so about 92f ambient temp, and not humid.

Good luck everyone.
    Nick

P.S. let me add to this that going with the route of lens replacement with say black for the flat black look would make things a lot easier - get rid of all this difficult masking. If I were to do it again I would go for that. Ebay is the place to look at, try searching curve lens.
    Last edited by dianic; 08-27-2008 at 07:15 AM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789