just got my first blackberry the 8330 for sprint and i have a few questions. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

aarond419 no está en línea Stack level 1

first blackberry

Advertisement

just got my first blackberry the 8330 for sprint and i have a few questions. first is there a program that i can use to hold my sms messages similar to how it looks in aim or a treo. second i tried to load a theme via DM and it wont load i have tried getting the newest version that i could find i think it is 4.7 on my desktop and then 4.3.0.127 on the device. third what are the must have programs for a bb so far the only extra thing i have downladed is opera mini. thanks in advance for all help and look forward to using my curve.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    First off I would suggest since you are new to Blackeberry uninstall the 4.7 desktop manager and go with 4.5 or 4.6. 4.7 is to buggie and causing to many issues. Next to be able to load themes via DM you will need to download and install your devices operating system to your PC. You can find it here once you have done this you can download any zip file of themes for your device and extract it onto you PC. Then open desktop manager and go into app loader then add/remove apps. Once there go to browse and navigate to the extracted file and click on the file you want to install.

I would also suggest to get the most out of you BB. After you are comfortable with your BB you might consider upgrading your OS. Sprint doesn't have an official release but you can use any carriers version as long as you follow the directions found here on the stacks.

If you do decide to do this here is a good place to start.

Welcome to PinStack and if you have any questions feel free to post and someone will always jump in and try to help. Enjoy your Blackberry and the stacks they are both an addiction and one feeds the other.
    Last edited by Lavagirl; 12-31-2008 at 02:49 AM. Reason: link fixed ;)

jake.schires no está en línea Stack level 3
    For the sms thing, there is that sort of program. I don't know the name of it and if I did I wouldn't tell you because I hated it. I've wanted that same thing that you do and the program just sucked. With the loading themes thing there will be two file types, the .cod and the .alx, you want to load the .alx. And make sure that the theme you a trying to load isn't for a 4.5 OS. For downloading programs I use Viigo, which is an rss feed thinger, the myspace app, and msn messenger. Hope all goes well with your new curve.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

thank you for the responses. i am currently tring to dl the OS now hopefully it will work.....one step at a time so far i am loving my curve and glad i didnt get the instinct thanks again for the help and i am sure that i will be asking for more in the near future.

so i figured that i would try to upgrade my BB so i can use more themes. i backed it up first so i can re add my contacts is this goin to cause problems or "downgrade" what i just did since the restore point is an older OS then what i installed after wipeing?

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by aarond419 View Post
    so i figured that i would try to upgrade my BB so i can use more themes. i backed it up first so i can re add my contacts is this goin to cause problems or "downgrade" what i just did since the restore point is an older OS then what i installed after wipeing?
    As long as you did the backup once you restore it to the 4.5 you will be fine. It will not downgrade you. Just a note if you installed without removing your media card you may have issues with rebooting if so don't freak out it is fixable.

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    To elaborate on Cowboy's excellent explanation...all of your data, including Address Book, Memo, Tasks, Blackberry Messenger, etc. are not affected by an os upgrade, and in fact, are retained during the process. Anything left out can be restored by going to a back up and selectively loading it back onto the handset. OS upgrades may enhance the appearance and features, but not preclude transference or retention P.S. Welcome to the Stacks!
    Last edited by Berryadict; 12-31-2008 at 02:46 AM.

so i tried to upgrade to 4.5 using the verizion link. i thought it was complete then check in my BB and it was only 4.3.xxx any thoughts? all i really want right now are some different themes and most of them are running under 4.5. i am goin to bed no any help when i wake will be much appreciated.

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    We'll be here for ya Aaron. Good night!

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    aarond ,
    First I hope you installed 4.5 or 4.6 for desktop manager and uninstalled the 4.7. Unless I am mistaken Verizon doesn't have a 4.5 release for the 8330. You will need to get the OS specific to your device I suggest the Alltel 4.5.0.89. Once downloaded make sure you run and install it to your PC. After it is installed go to c/program files/ common files/research in motion/app loader and delete the vendor.xml once you have done that in the same folder click the loader file found in the same folder and the upgrade should begin. Once the upgrade starts it should take about 20 minutes but can take as long as an hour. Hope this clears it up a little I am headed to work but will check in via wap on your progress. Good Luck!!

marine7896 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I have Verizon and I'm currently running 4.5.0.77, thats the latest that I could find for them. When I did my upgrade it took me about 45 minutes, it all depends on how fast the download speeds are.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by marine7896 View Post
    I have Verizon and I'm currently running 4.5.0.77, thats the latest that I could find for them. When I did my upgrade it took me about 45 minutes, it all depends on how fast the download speeds are.
    Good call marine I over looked it this morning 4.5.0.77 is the latest Verizon OS thanks for the correction. I must have still been asleep when I looked this morning.

yall are awesome got it working thanks again for all the help and support....i am sure it wont be the last time.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by aarond419 View Post
    yall are awesome got it working thanks again for all the help and support....i am sure it wont be the last time.
    Glad you got it going. Have any other questions there is always someone who will try and help.