I've noticed there are several types of applications. For instance, in the way of news, ... BlackBerry Curve forum

knightstar no está en línea Stack level 2

Feed Apps v. Link Apps

Advertisement

I've noticed there are several types of applications. For instance, in the way of news, there's the Associate Press app(great app) which gives live feeds, but there are others which are nothing more than links(like the Fox and CNN apps), which are equivalent to bookmarks(how retarded). Why do these link apps exist, am I missing something? They won't even open with the browser of your choice, instead they use the default Blackberry Browser(which is several times slower than all available browsers I've come across), then take you to the sites main page and you have to search for the news(using the Blackberry Browser) yourself, page by page, they are utterly useless applications. Anybody else care to chime in on this? Are there any other (Feed) apps out there equivalent to the Associate Press app? Is there any good way to ID those link apps before they are downloaded, or is trial and error the only option?

Here's the story on the apps: BlackBerry, which is my personal favorite smartphone of all time, is unfortunately becoming un-competitive in the marketplace. The iPhone, the Android devices, and in many ways Nokia (Symbian/MeeGo) are burying RIM alive. Unless something spectacular happens up in Canada, RIM will become another "also-ran" like it's cousin Palm. The only answer RIM has for their difficulties is two models for 2011: re-vamped Bolds. And maybe a PlayBook. And promises of better things in the future. And, btw, layoffs that started today. The facts are that fewer and fewer people are making apps for BlackBerry because it is a waste of time, as far as they are concerned. It's like investing in the Hummer. Why spend time or money on something that shows no promise?

Netflix is one example of an app that has become available for iOS, Android and even Nokia, but they will not develop one for RIM. I don't think they are alone. To connect with many of the news sources, especially live feeds that you are interested in, it may be best to look at another brand of smartphone.

knightstar no está en línea Stack level 2
    That's a shame, I liked Blackberry. I was thinking last night that it must have been rotten marketing on their part... I mean, it couldn't have been lack of ideas cause I could think of a few innovative things still left to be done in their market and making their sh*tty little browser undeletable isn't one of them. Now I guess it's time to begin looking for a new phone- I wonder which? But who really knows what the future holds, right? Mabey before I decided, Blackberry will pull out of their dive.
    Last edited by knightstar; 06-23-2011 at 08:50 AM.