My brand new 8310 has a dead pixel and it's driving me nutzo, I just ... BlackBerry Curve forum

BanhiDancer no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Exchanging 8310-will backing up work to the new one?

Advertisement

My brand new 8310 has a dead pixel and it's driving me nutzo, I just got it a few days ago so will be exchanging for a new one today, but I've spent the past few days tweaking it with apps and settings so I don't want to lose all that...

Question is, if I back up using the desktop manager will I be able to restore that backup to my new 8310 and keep all my settings, apps and such?
    Thanks in advance!

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Exchanging 8310-will backing up work to the new one?

do a backup and when you get the new BB use the switch device wizard, it should move all your stuff to the new BB

Quote Originally Posted by doughdaddy View Post
    do a backup and when you get the new BB use the switch device wizard, it should move all your stuff to the new BB
    Thanks so much for the quick reply!
    I had a look at the switch device wizard, but it looks like I need to have both devices present in order for it to work... is this not the case?

yes you do... it will read the one and then add to the other, are you going to the store or having it sent to you?

I'm going to the store in a bit here... If i start the wizard, then leave the window open until I get back, will that work? Or will it need the 1st device again?

i don't think so, it may but it would be better if you took a laptop with you, or contact the store ahead of time since most will do the transfer for you and check that they can. the last time i went and did a swap i brought my laptor and did it myself, VZW was nice enough to let me use both BB's while i did it.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Make sure you do a good backup of your device first. Then you can try the switch device wizard that way, but keep in mind that sometimes not all data is transferred over to the new device. You may need to do a restore using your backed up file from your old device.
    I've tried a device transfer several times and it was never successful for me.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Lavagirl View Post
    Make sure you do a good backup of your device first. Then you can try the switch device wizard that way, but keep in mind that sometimes not all data is transferred over to the new device. You may need to do a restore using your backed up file from your old device.
    I've tried a device transfer several times and it was never successful for me.
    that's odd because i have used both and found that all my stuff transfered better with the switch device than the backup. I had to find a couple apps again, this morning as a matter of fact (see my stupidity here: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...gent_help.html) and I am still reinstalling apps and data as I play here on the stacks.

PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Yeah, sometimes it works but for some it doesn't....I was one of the unlucky ones. Red and I have encountered this many times. At the time I was using DM 4.2. Never tried it with 4.3, although I have no new BB to try it with...this was when I switched from my 8300 to my new 8310
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

Thanks so much guys!
    I'll do a backup then leave the device wizard open and hope for the best... it won't be a total tragedy if I lose something, I'd just rather not, ya know?

I'll let ya'll know how it pans out...

PIN/ID
    AoleLava

On another note, sometimes I prefer to fresh install my apps anyway and just restore. Kind of start from fresh sort of thing.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

good luck and post back!

BB_5000 no está en línea Stack level 2

Very easy, I just upgraded from 8300 to 8310.

Use the switch device wizard, it will save all aspects of your existing operations, including settings, email accounts, respective ringtones etc etc......it's very impressive, an almost carbon copy of your existing berry.

ONLY minor backup issues were 3rd party programs and Themes (some fine, others not).

Step: plug in - backup - connect new berry - accept - bingo.....process : 10 minutes (for 6 month old 8300 with 6 heavy email accounts) and customized to the hilt!!
    Last edited by BB_5000; 01-12-2008 at 05:15 PM.

Teehee!

Okay, so I did the backup (which turned out not to be necessary, thankfully) and started the switch device wizard, then when it asked to connect the new device I just left the screen open when I left... several errands and a new bb later, I come home, plug in my new bb and viola! Everything switched over flawlessly! It looks like I never even switched. SO HAPPY!

Thanks so much for all the help, you guys rule :}

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~glad it worked out for you. We are here to help so if you need anything else just shout.