Had my berry about 3 weeks now. Never had this icon before. 1XEV. Does that ... BlackBerry Curve forum

kaktus1 no está en línea Stack level 1

EVDO question

Advertisement

Had my berry about 3 weeks now. Never had this icon before. 1XEV. Does that mean I just got EVDO? I remember reading there were two like that. Any and all help appreciated.

kenvan60 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23f4e3a6
    Kakus,
    Just found this in a search....Hope it helps!!

1xEV-DO

(EV-DO)
    Part of a family of CDMA2000 1x digital wireless standards. 1xEV-DO is a "3G" CDMA standard. EV-DO originally stood for "EVolution, Data-Only", but recently is also referred to as "EVolution, Data-Optimized".

EV-DO provides data rates over 10 times faster than 1xRTT, the previous data technology for CDMA networks.

Unlike other "1x" standards, EV-DO only addresses data - not voice. It requires a dedicated slice of spectrum, separate from voice networks using standards such as 1xRTT.

There are currently two main versions of 1xEV-DO: "Release 0" and "Revision A".

Release 0 is the original version, and the first to be widely deployed. Rel. 0 offers data rates up to 2.4 mbps, averaging 300-600 kbps in the real world. This is much faster than the 50-80 kbps typically offered by 1xRTT technology. Rel. 0 data rates are identical to 1xEV-DV Revision C.

Revision A integrates most of the faster data technology from 1xEV-DV Revision D, and improves latency. These enhancements allow features such as VoIP and video calling.

Although EV-DO does not include voice capability natively, Rev. A is fast enough to support VoIP technology at service levels equal or better to 1xRTT voice technology. This may be a future upgrade path for CDMA carriers if EV-DV development remains stalled.

In terms of data speed and general technology evolution, the closest equivalent to EVDO for GSM/WCDMA networks would be HSDPA.

1xEV-DO is based on a technology initially known as "HDR" (High Data Rate) or "HRPD" (High Rate Packet Data), developed by Qualcomm. The international standard is known as IS-856

04Taco no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by kenvan60 View Post
    There are currently two main versions of 1xEV-DO: "Release 0" and "Revision A".
    The 8330 works on Rev 0. I think the storm will be the first BB to work on the Rev A network.

kaktus1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thank you so much.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    Correct, storm will be the first rev A chipset evdo berry!

Quote Originally Posted by 04Taco View Post
    The 8330 works on Rev 0. I think the storm will be the first BB to work on the Rev A network.