I replaced an 8700g with an 8320 when it launched. I have had, luckily, almost ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne

EDGE wont work...it used to tho

Advertisement

I replaced an 8700g with an 8320 when it launched. I have had, luckily, almost no issues getting the WiFi and UMA to work. I cant seem to get data when I am between wireless points though.

The phone shows EDGE and my signal is strong... I have data services set to On, and it just wont go ('wont go' is my version of 'wont work'). My 8700g worked perfectly on the EDGE network here, and now I cant use data unless I am on a WiFi connection. I am actually on hold with TMo while I write this, but does anyone have a tip, or any idea as to why this could be happening to me? (edit: TMo said they dont see anything wrong on their end... now I am really up the creek... please help if you can.)

I didnt notice this fault because I spend most of the time with the 8320 on a WiFi network... however, since I started using AIM/Google Talk, I realized that I am always signed off when I reach a destination that has WiFi. I'm saying that the in between time doesnt get any data (even though the phone shows full EDGE connectivity). To test this theory, I turned off WiFi and am on just EDGE right now... and while I can make and receive phone calls, even register via the Host Routing Table, email, BB Msngr, AIM, and Google Talk wont work, and I cannot receive service books.
    Last edited by jzarowitz; 11-10-2007 at 04:32 PM.
    I'm a born again Androider

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: EDGE wont work...it used to tho

do you still have the 8700? can you put the sim card in it and still achieve edge? and emails and such?

im not to up-to-date on all the wifi settings...have you tried a battery pull? i hate to suggest that, but at this point, i think you should start with 'resetting' the bb ... if you still can't get data after than, then we start fresh with possibly the tcp settings?

PIN/ID
    NexsOne

thanks for the reply... the 8700g is gone... :-(

did a battery pull... didnt change anything...

resetting bb?? you mean app loader?

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

no, resetting meant the battery pull

if you have a few hours, you can certainly wipe and reload...but i don't like to suggest that except as the very last resort

PIN/ID
    NexsOne

batt pull did notta.... next?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Have you changed the pin on your account to let it know you have the new device?

Zo

PIN/ID
    NexsOne

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    Have you changed the pin on your account to let it know you have the new device?

Zo
    yes, i did that when i got the device back in september... it actually self detected and changed it for me, but i always go in and enter the IMEI too.... that all checks out

i just ended a 2-3 hour call with tmo... there is a trouble ticket with full escalation to their engineers who i dont get to talk with. i have been promised resolution by november 26th... haha, yeah right! ill believe it when i see it.

any other suggestions folks? tmo spent quite a bit of time trying to tell me that the roaming carrier that i am on could have changed their contract with tmo to exclude data, but couldnt check on that status. (tmo rep said my device registered with their computer as it should for a device with full data coverage) the carrier i use when roaming hasnt changed since march, and others out here have no issue using EDGE on their berries, so im not sure that idea has much bearing here.

PIN/ID
    NexsOne

tmo actually came through for me on this...

the state of WV doesnt have tmo coverage, and so i am constantly roaming.... this means that my mobile network coverage is provided by Cellular One DCS owned by Dobson. dobson does a really bad job at maintaining their rural cellular networks, including fixing a tower when its defunkt!

i got in the car, drove about 10 minutes, connected with a different tower, and everything came back to life... good as new! argh.... frustrating. and tmo said they will take it up with dobson...

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Glad you got it solved. Sucks that the problem lay with a roaming partner.

Zo