I have had my 8900 for about a week. I noticed in the book, that ... BlackBerry Curve forum

lola06 no está en línea Stack level 1

Dumb question about charging

Advertisement

I have had my 8900 for about a week. I noticed in the book, that the picture shows that a symbol of a red battery should show when the phone is fully charged. Is this the case? The little battery symbol on my phone has always been either totally white, or outlined in red when the phone is dead. My battery life was great the first few days, and now is terrible. I haven't done anything different with the phone to make the battery life bad, but everyday it seems to go dead a little quicker with hardly any use. So, I just wanted to be sure my phone was charging completely to begin with, since I never get that pic like in the manual. Thank you for your help guys!

Subarudude no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    who noze
    I'm not sure about all phones, but I've been told by a reliable source that if you over charge a phone, laptop (anything with a battery) for an extended time, it can diminish battery life.

I was then told that you should allow the phone to use up all battery power until it is in fact dead, this should help to bring back battery life....

of course, like I said, this is from a 'reliable' source. Not necessarily the truth if you know what I mean.

EDITED

But as a personal tip, try looking at your settings and adjusting them. (i.e. backlight too bright, auto dimming set at off(turn on), and all those other fun things...))
    Last edited by Subarudude; 02-22-2009 at 10:47 AM.
    Running the .132 OS with v3.5 Hybrid installed, working pretty nice!

Safiy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304d0ac5
    Full charge is white. Btw u can't overcharge lithium ion batteries. U can leave them attached for extended periods of time. I've charged all my phones overnight for the last 2-3 years. Never an issue.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Couldn't agree more, I plug my curve in every night and have since I bought it

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Same here. If anything i find my battery gets better overtime (go figure)

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Also it could be applications running in the background or your coverage.

As everyone else is saying, Lithium Ion batteries do not keep a memory or get overcharged. That was with old school batteries way back when.

dbenton3 no está en línea Stack level 1
    They are all correct. I read a study a year or two ago that was done at a University (I wish i could remember which one >.<) that showed that a Lithium Ion battery will, once it reaches a full charge, will automatically discharge the final 3-5% of it's battery and recharge that portion in order to avoid allowing itself to overcharge. Also, it was (i believe) the Nickle based batteries that would develop a charging memory, essentially cutting the maximum power storage potential according to how you cycled the charges. The only downside to a Lithium Ion battery from what i read is that over time it does lose maximum potential. Depending on the battery, I believe the study showed that a typical Lithium Ion battery would lose between 2-12% of its total charging capacity each year, thus resulting in the battery needing to be replaced usually after 5 years. I know this wasn't properly cited, but I hope the information helps.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Same here, I've owned over 20 BBs and let them all charge overnight and have never had any battery issues at all.

JeffNNJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    Same here, I've owned over 20 BBs and let them all charge overnight and have never had any battery issues at all.
    Just curious which was your favorite. Mine is of course my 8900 but I loved my 8700. Awesome phone.

SVT Cobra no está en línea Stack level 5
    There is no DUMB question about charging!
    That being said, how much do you charge?

drew4flt72 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post
    Also it could be applications running in the background or your coverage.
    You'd be surprise how many apps are just backed out of and not actually closed or exited properly. I did an Alt + back button and it will list the 5 apps you had open. I went back and actually closed or exited 4 of the 5 I had previously opened. I'm sure that will make a big difference....