New AT&T 8310 owner here. Had been eying them for a while as my RAZR ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Rrryan no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Does AT&T still allow tethering? How to make it work?

Advertisement

New AT&T 8310 owner here. Had been eying them for a while as my RAZR kept threatening to give up the ghost, and with the $99 specials this last weekend my resistance finally broke down. Really, really enjoying my first BB and the forum here - quite a community you've got and I've found *lots* of useful stuff already!

One thing is killing me though - for the life of me I can't seem to get the tether modem to work through USB. I'll need it infrequently - probably fewer than a dozen times a year, so the $60/mo. plan that allows tethering is not worth it. Since I need the feature so infrequently I think I could in clear conscience use it now and then, but I'm beginning to wonder if AT&T/Cingular have gotten smart and now disallow tethering without the expen$ive super-premium plan.
    I've searched this forum and others, and if you noticed Google running slow yesterday it was probably me looking around for yet another blog or forum recipe to try.

I'm trying to use: BB 8310 w/ OS 4.2.2.170, DM 4.3.0.15, AT&T unlimited data plan, WinXP SP2, US 2.0 cable. So far I have made sure:
    -ensured the BB is on and unlocked, DM is running and shows connected
    -removed and manually re-added the standard modem (to ports COM5 *and* 6 as shown in Device Manager) as a 33.6 standard modem, successfully queried the COM5 modem but COM 6 doesn't respond
    -added the +cgdcont=1,”IP”,”wap.cingular" modem init string
    -added the DUN connection, enabled hardware flow control
    -use *99# and the phone#, u: ispda@cingulargprs.com and p: CINGULAR1
    -tried both dynamic and static DNS settings

When I try to connect, 100% of the time I get a mysterious port opened message that I never saw in any of my readings, followed about 15-20 seconds later by a 692 error. No internet at all thru it ever.
    I'm completely out of ideas. Any advice, besides petitioning AT&T to allow occasional tethering for my plan? Or is there anything else to check or change? Thanks, Ryan.
    Last edited by Rrryan; 02-15-2008 at 07:43 AM.

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: Does AT&T still allow tethering? How to make it work?

at&t does allow tethering but they charge for it

I realize that, but my understanding (and correct me if I'm mistaken) was that the provider can't quite tell *how* you're accessing the network if done properly. With the expensive tethering package you have to use their "Communicator" software...

Thanks

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

i thought that also... untill i got a 450$ bill. im not sure how they can or cant tell but i wouldnt even try it if you dont have the 80$ plan for att tethering. also its pointless on the edge because it is saaalow. and for some reason when i was doing for and only did it for 3 days my bb was giving me 10-15 minute hour glasses when i wasnt tethering. had to keep resetting. battery pulls. just aggravating
    www.bbmchat.com sign up today!! come follow me at www.twitter.com/bbmchat and win free blackberry of your choice and cash 1st 1,000 members. spread the word.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

It's pretty apparent when you usage surges.

Oh....

Quote Originally Posted by NICKY88XX View Post
    i thought that also... untill i got a 450$ bill. im not sure how they can or cant tell but i wouldnt even try it if you dont have the 80$ plan for att tethering. also its pointless on the edge because it is saaalow. and for some reason when i was doing for and only did it for 3 days my bb was giving me 10-15 minute hour glasses when i wasnt tethering. had to keep resetting. battery pulls. just aggravating
    Ah. Perhaps I was mistaken then.

At least now I don't feel so bad for spending hours at not getting it to work!

Scarlett no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Tethering plan is the only way I got it to work with my pearl or curve. Worked without the plan until last fall and when I called ATT they said I had to purchase new plan. Just bought aircard for 15.00 after rebate and the plan for that will be about 10 less a month than what I pay for tethering now.