Just a thought that I have been kickiing around, but with all of the new ... BlackBerry Curve forum

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Do you have disappearing email problems??

Advertisement

Just a thought that I have been kickiing around, but with all of the new users due to the recent release of the more consumer oriented Curves, I have been reading posts with reports of problems. The one that seems to cause the most confusion and grief is the loss of texts and e-mails. This is a known problem that occurs with the BB series when the memory is running low. The ways to avoid these problems are someting that I have been thinking alot about (had some free time lately).

I believe that the problem stems from the fact that most people don't utilize their memory efficiently. The first things that should be done are to get a microSD card for the storage. Most believe that like WM devices this is available to the system, but that is not true. The reason to get this is for the storage of pictures, ringtones, MP3's and videos and that is all for now (well maybe some portable documents that you would like to have available at all times or ebooks but those discussions are reserved for the more advanced power users).
    The next thing to do is make sure that the within the camera settings that the reserved memory is set to the lowest available, and the camera is set to save the pics to the newly acquired storage card.
    Then move/save all of your added ringtones, MP3's and videos to the storage card as well. This action should free up a lot of memory.
    If you don't use many themes (I only use one custom, personalized one, yes I am boring), delete the extra themes not used.
    Remove the BB sample video as it is worhtless and takes up a good chunk of space.
    If you don't use the IM clients remove those as well.
    Remove the added unnecessary languages that are not needed as they eat up large amounts of memory.
    Make sure that the e-mail options are to save the e-mail for the amount of time that you want (on the device it is under the e-mail section and gives the option to delete after so long, which could end up using the e-mail to get deleted after set time even though it wasn't intended by the user, they just forgot to change the default time setting, I set mine to keep forever). And make sure that the DM (Desktop manager) is configured correctly in cases of conflict.

The device should also be powered off and on every few days to clear out the memory and reset to the fresh boot state (this also helps if you have memory leaks in your device and it helps the devices to reset to the towers and make sure all HRT and system settings are correct and up to date).

These have been the basics that are posted all around the net and on this site, I though I would include them as thoughts and also as a troubleshooting aide.

Now onto the part that I have recently thought of. It seems that alot of new users think that the included BB accounts (for T-o it is the @tmo.blackberry.net) are an actual e-mail account. These accounts are a small amount of storage and not meant as a storage space but a temporary holding place for forwarding to the device. I have seen it written that it is 25MB, but no one is for sure and the question then arises as to when the account is purged (daily, weekly, monthly, only when full and then overwritten as in FIFO structure)?
    I believe that many new users are trying to use this as their primary account and then when it disappears they are shocked that they have lost their e-mail or that they cannot access and read it from a normal PC. This account really shouldn't be used in such a way and probably shouldn't really be used at all if your BB is a necesary for your work as once the account is flagged by a spam sender then it is hard to get the account cleared and reset up on the BB devices.

Sorry for the length of the post and i realize most won't read through the entire ramblings of this fool, but I had some time and thought I would write this down as the thoughts might help some. These thoughts could also give users some direction when trying to locate the root of their problems.

Anyone have any further thoughts or musings on this subject, as I am just trying to help out and give back a little from what I have learned from this and other sites.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Do you have disappearing email problems??

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

I reaize that is there, but most don't and I wanted to add the thoughts on the bb email account. Thanks for adding it to the thread, as I see that the other thread on this is active again.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Thanks Squeakr.