Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Blackberry 8300 has a small crack at the upper edge of the screen. The ... BlackBerry Curve forum

dalem no está en línea Stack level 1

Disassembly of Curve for screen repair ?

Advertisement

My Blackberry 8300 has a small crack at the upper edge of the screen. The LCD is fine, and the phone works. I think that perhaps I should replace the glass before it cracks completely and causes LCD failure. I also think that as the phone does work now breaking it during disassembly and spending $300 to replace it doesn't sound good. So I'm a bit undecided on the next action.

It looks like I can get a replacement lens for $6 plus shipping from http://cnn.cn/shop/blackberry-curve-...ns-p-1778.html which seems pretty good.

A couple questions:
    Are there diassembly instructions for an 8300 posted somewhere?
    What screwdriver or screwdrivers are needed? There are T4, T6, and such mini drivers. What would I need, or is there a good place to order a set?

If anyone has done such a repair and had success (or not) I'd like to hear about it.

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Re: Disassembly of Curve for screen repair ?

i had one done on my 8703e when i had it i sent it out to be fixed $45 bucks. got it back. screen was deffinatly new. but... there was this haze on the inside of the screen. almost like a mist or fog. it annoyed me to death. i called and emailed the company i sent it to. and they said that its not warrentied. well i flipped out. and for 45 bucks im not going to take legal action. it was a while ago. i dont rem the name of the company. see if you can get it repaired under manf. warrenty.

zipped no está en línea Stack level 3

Sorry to hear your berry got squashed. Hopefully this will make it a bit better:
    http://cnn.cn/shop/blackberry-8300-c-200_365.html
    You can't beat the entire body replacement for 19.00, or just the lcd lens for 6.00.
    I would call or email them as they probably give you the instructions as well.

logic129 no está en línea Stack level 1

The 2 screws on top once the battery cover is removed requires a T5 Torx screwdriver. As for actual disassembly, I didn't want to take it apart without fear of cracking the little clips in there.

bjene no está en línea Stack level 2

Zipped,

Very cool link! I've got it bookmarked--hopefully I won't need it, but it's great to know it's there!

Bernie
    It's an interglacial period, *#%&@!

khillyer no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A6FA4C

Quote Originally Posted by bjene
    Zipped,

Very cool link! I've got it bookmarked--hopefully I won't need it, but it's great to know it's there!

Bernie
    i agree very handy! thanks ziped!

zipped no está en línea Stack level 3

No problem, I am certified for dropping phones. Always nice to know where to get parts. That link is nice because they have pretty good pricing as well.
    Doesn't ruin your day quite as much when you drop your phone, then proceed to kick it 20 feet across the cement upon retrieval.

rrrebo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240466CA

I ordered the lens replacement and a T6 last week. The site offered me T4 and T6 based on my device choice, so I hope it works! I should get it in a week or so.

MacFly69 no está en línea Stack level 2

pls let us know if you get any type of disassembly instructions. the bottom left side of my device has become loose and is beginning to squeak. i've tightened the top two screws to no avail. plus now, it's slowly affected my "r" and "t" keys......they're not as responsive as they once were. i'm hoping there's other screws back there that needs tightening that will fix these issues.

thanks and pls keep us posted.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Quote Originally Posted by zipped
    No problem, I am certified for dropping phones. Always nice to know where to get parts. That link is nice because they have pretty good pricing as well.
    Doesn't ruin your day quite as much when you drop your phone, then proceed to kick it 20 feet across the cement upon retrieval.
    Ouch!.....that must have sucked

rokinDa8703e no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31e84d1b

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

This entire thread kills me! I was told by three verizon reps that the screen couldn't just be replaced so I sent my bb of to get a new one for 50$ when I could have just researched a bit and saved myself the $, darn darn darn

klmcd30 no está en línea Stack level 1

i just took mine apart last night to replace the two rubber sides which were damaged due to dropping, the two screws on the battery compartment are just part of it, the name plate holds the cover on ever so slightly, have to be real careful not to break that, unless you are replacing it. I had to run my thumb nail down both sides to get the front face off. the name logo locks into a few holes on the bottom of the device. with the front face off, there are two more torx screws, cannot remember the size, that hold the rubber sides on. And as I recall, there are two more that hold the whole middle piece in tact. still waiting on my housing to arrive so I can replace it.
    Last edited by klmcd30; 07-11-2007 at 12:09 PM.

jim_waschura no está en línea Stack level 1

pls. send any info you may have on this repair. I have received new screen and Torx-5 screwdriver and working on next-step. Screen did not come with instructions. I'll post something once I've (successfully) completed this repair. - Jim Waschura

jim_waschura no está en línea Stack level 1

1. Power-down. Remove back cover. Take out battery. Memory modules can stay in.

2. Remove two torx screws. T5.

3. Remove name plate at bottom by space-bar. pry off with xacto knife and finger nails. Risk is blemishing edge of front cover.

4. Face downwards with speaker/camera at top

5. At about 9:30 is small latch holding left (from back) side in place. Use xacto knife to pull this away from latch and carefully pull top of left side away from case. Only pull out top about 1/4 inch. Sides do not need to be removed. Bottom (closest to you) stays attached.

6. Also pull-away right side (from back). There is no latch on this side. USB and earphone jacks appear to hold in place.

7. Turn over (face upwards)

8. Can begin to pry top (farthest from you) up away from rest of case. There are two prongs on each side attached to the top cover that extend downwards into the case. By pulling the sides away slightly, can push these prongs towards the center enough to unlatch them.

9. This allows cover to come off. Be careful. Can use prying implement, but risk is damage to cover.

10. This is the hard part - pry the damaged LCD screen off the front cover. This is glued-on really, really well - but it does come off. [Hint: For all this work, I suggest buying new front cover with LCD screen - Even change the color if you want. Probably not that much more expensive.]

11. Clean off remaining adhesive with alcohol. Let dry really, really well. Don't want moisture under the screen.

12. Apply new screen. Don't touch insides. Don't touch inside of LCD. Clean everything with canned air. Even Q-tips leave microfibers. (Ask me how I know?)

13. Reassemble in reverse order.

I'm sure this is the brute-force method and RIM has some much-better way to do this. But I did this and it did work fine.

With my regards,
    Jim Waschura

evilcaptain no está en línea Stack level 3

I found this video helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiIl19G74C0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast