I've continued to have emails, both read and unread, disappear from my Curve. Last week, ... BlackBerry Curve forum

bjene no está en línea Stack level 2

Disappearing Emails on 8300 Curve

Advertisement

I've continued to have emails, both read and unread, disappear from my Curve. Last week, I contacted AT&T tech support, who routed me to RIM, and I ended up wiping the handheld and reloading the operating system. Today, I called them back and we did a low-level format of the handheld and then reloaded all of the application software.

I tend to lose blocks of consecutive emails. I do not necessarily lose all of my previous emails, just a section that may span two or four hours...perhaps up to ten or twelve hours. I noticed this once when I had answered the phone and then went back to the inbox following the conversation and they were gone. I did have some initial concern that I had hit a series of keystrokes that highlighted and deleted a section. However, this morning, I turned the device on and watched as it sat on the desk and downloaded emails that had been sent thru the night. It was up to 23 unread emails at one point and I turned my gaze elsewhere for 30 seconds and upon return, the unread email count was at 14. I compared the emails that had just been recieved to what was in my Outlook inbox (the handheld was not connected to my computer) and noticed several of the ones that would have arrived in the early AM hours were not present. I also noted that I was missing everything from the evening before after the 4:35 PM hour. There were also a couple from earlier in the day that I remember reading that were gone. Thus, I had lost at least two "blocks" of email messages from my inbox...I do not know if this occurred at the same time or at different times, such as having one set disappear last night before I turned it off for the evening. However, this morning's occurrence definitely happened without my hands being on the QWERTY keyboard or trackball while it was sitting on my desk top. I have seen one or two other posts in regard to missing emails, but it seems to be more along the line of missing phone and text message logs. Anyone else?

RIM is going to contact me in one week to see if the format and application reload did any good.

Bernie
    It's an interglacial period, *#%&@!

VZDubtk no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Disappearing Emails on 8300 Curve

Try loading on the optus os that has fixed that issue for me so far

~via BB curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

jetsetter no está en línea Stack level 3

I read this thread with scepticism before, but I lost a block of emails last night. I'm sure I did not accidentally delete them. They were also consecutive and some even contained attached images, just poof they were gone.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I posted my original message on this thread on Friday morning and took off that afternoon for a fourteener climb. When I came back into signal range yesterday, I had a load of new messages arrive and I checked a couple, but left 17 unopened. I probably had a similar amount that had been read. I turned off my Curve last night. Just turned it on this morning and felt two "buzzes" as messages came in, then nothing. There should have been about a dozen. I clicked a button to turn the screen on and found I had two unopened messages. Both were from this morning, but the other dozen that should have been there apparently did not arrive. There were no messages from Saturday, which would have included the 17 unopened emails plus several opened ones. The only messages left from Friday were three that I had sent to my wife. All received messages were gone. I did save one message on Friday and that one was still in the saved messages folder. This is the second occurence in a row where I am sure there were no accidental keystrokes involved while it was in the holster or elsewhere.

The idea of loading the Optus OS has my attention, but I think I'm going to contact RIM support to see what help may arise for either a patch or a potential Curve switch-out, should it go to that.

Harry3334, how long has your Curve been working properly on the Optus OS?

Bernie

Update--two more incidents yesterday where they disappeared. As I was close to the AT&T wireless store, I stopped by in chance they might have some piece of info that AT&T online support or RIM support hasn't had. However, as I suspected, not too much technical knowledge in that store. They did suggest if I didn't find a quick solution that I should bring my original box and all items in before I hit the 30 day mark and just switch it out for a new one. As I only have a couple days left, I'm thinking about doing that. If the same problem is present with the new one, I can continue to play with other solutions such as switching out my email account or trying other OS.

jetsetter no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by bjene
    If the same problem is present with the new one, I can continue to play with other solutions such as switching out my email account or trying other OS.
    Ya, I have a hard time believing that switching out the curve will fix this (huge) bug, unless the one you get in trade has a more up to date firmware.

This is a pretty serious problem. I am new to BB, but am watching the culture for how software updates are announced and problems are acknowledged, and I am not too impressed so far. I hope that we'll get some release notes on newer updates.

VZDubtk no está en línea Stack level 5

it has been working great actually. i dont even get the random resets anymore which is great. pretty stable os if you ask me
    I Unlock All Mobile Devices, questions just ask

PacketRat no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID

I also had this problem but suspect the cause was out of memory issue. I was beta testing some software and every 2 days it would dump my old mail and then I would get an out of memory error in the app. Now that I have un-installed the beta app I don't have the problem anymore.
    -------
    PacketRat
    258CDFE8

AceBB no está en línea Stack level 3

Im still using the Rogers OS and there are no problems at all. If people are still experiencing issues with the new OS' give the Rogers one a shot.
    .:*~*:._.:*~*:. AceBB .:*~*:._.:*~*:.
    Everything you ought to know @ http://www.christopheraceto.com

I just noticed another problem that I didn't have before the last wipe of the Curve and the application reload: the headset that came with the unit does not work when I try to place a call! Sound comes through just as though I did not have the headset plugged into the device. I tried toggling the speakerphone on and off. Speakerphone worked fine but didn't not affect the the problem with placing a call. The headset worked fine with the media player in-between calls, so I know it isn't the headset.

This was enough to put me over the edge and I'm going to trade the phone in for a replacement. I bought it through my company discount AT&T website, so I must exchange it through them. Been on the line now with them for about 68 minutes and I hope we are getting close to done on this! Been transferred over to India and back...they handle warranty service differently when under 30 days as opposed to over 30 days. The local store won't exchange because I ordered it over the website...but looks like they should ship me another one. Once that arrives, I'll be ready for open season on software reloads and such, should the problem still raise its ugly head.

Bernie

Would you believe 2 hours and 47 minutes being transferred around AT&T in an effort to find the "correct department?" I was cut off once after a continuous phone hold of 127 minutes. My seventh help person informed me the office I really needed to speak with had closed for the evening. 9:00 PM Eastern...I guess the fact that I had initiated the initial phone call more than two hours before closing just wasn't an early enough start...

I did keep busy on my computer and another phone line...but ended up getting in trouble with my wife because I don't "show her the patience that I was exhibiting with AT&T..."

klgmd no está en línea Stack level 3

Can someone expand on the Rogers and optus? I am not familiar with either nor am I familiar with how to proceed.

eddiethebroker no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hello All....

I have also lost emails that were there earlier, I have replaced hardware, updated software, firmware and still have this problem. As all of you I have become very reliant on this little Piece of Marvel and need to be able to count on it.

I would be willing to work with anyone to try to resolve this very big bug....

I find that the support from the provider is limited and want to get you to do the standard solution for all issues and that RIM is too difficult to work with as a service provider with fees for support.

I feel we may be the only source to resolve this or pressure RIM to assist us with this matter.

Thanks for letting me rant, but I do love this device and simply want to push it to do all that it was intended to do.