Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Fantastic!!!... BlackBerry Curve forum

th577 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Dialing numbers with letters in them (like 1-800-collect)

Advertisement

Fantastic!!!

James80 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31955D4A

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Yeah I found that out a few months ago on here and I felt like a newbie lol. I was like all this time I never knew that. Before that I was wondering myself how to dial letters on a blackberry, especially qwerty.

clickmouse no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2076B7F6

this is a fabulous tip...how many numbers I didn't dial because I got frustrated trying to figure it out on my pearl...geez! I went so far as to upload a picture of a regular dial pad to my phone so I could use it for reference when I needed to...needless to say that pic can now be deleted thanks to your tip Brooke!

I've come across a collection of BB tips here and there but this is the first time I heard mention of this

kjlo5 no está en línea Stack level 2

WOW I am so excited! I had no idea I could do that. YEAH!! Brooke03 I love you too!

Blkr da Berry no está en línea Stack level 5

Man...i would always grab my home phone or my girl's phone...Thanks

neezy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2442ABB1

Holy ****! I was just getting readyo to make a thread exactly like this. On my WinMobile phone, you had to gwt a third party app and it showed the keypad thingy on the dialing screen.

svachak no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: Dialing numbers with letters in them (like 1-800-collect)

Quote Originally Posted by brooke03 View Post
    Hold down ALT while dialing the letters.
    Ok, it's probably just me - but this doesn't seem to work on mine.
    I have an 8310 from AT&T. When dialing a phone number, if I press the ALT button, the little icon that shows up in the upper right is the CAPS icon instead of the ALT icon. So, when I type a letter I don't see the corresponding number. It's probably pilot error - what am I doing wrong?

On a related note, I noticed this "problem" today when I tried to enter a conference call that requires the # to be entered after the one of the prompts. I cannot get my # to work when I'm dialing into a conference bridge (or any other IVR type service like a pager, etc).

The # is on the "Q" key on my device. If I'm dialing into a bridge, the bridge connects and directs me to enter the conference code followed by the #. If I just type "Q", I get "Q" (and an invalid key message). If I press ALT "Q", I get "Q" (and an invalid key message". If I type CAP "Q" I get "Q" (and an invalid key message). That's when I noticed that in dial-mode, it doesn't seem to matter whether I press the ALT or the CAP key - both give me the CAP icon in the upper right.

I checked the FAQ and searched on the # issue and didn't find anything. Now that I see my ALT isn't working for the conversion from Letters to Numbers as described in this thread, it's probably related.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Barb

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Interesting -- if the alt key is acting like a shift key then that would explain why the person was getting the invalid key message.

Are both of your shift keys also acting as shift keys? Does the NUM lock work?
    Last edited by takeshi; 02-08-2008 at 12:11 PM.

svachak no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    Interesting -- if the alt key is acting like a shift key then that would explain why the person was getting the invalid key message.

Are both of your shift keys also acting as shift keys? Does the NUM lock work?
    Well, my ALT key only acts as a SHIFT key when I'm dialing the phone. It's fine in Notepad.

I checked the NUM lock. It worked fine in Notepad or if I'm sitting on the main screen. But if I've started to enter the phone number and pressed the green CALL button, the NUM lock won't work.

I did find *something* that worked. Today I saved the conference bridge into my address book. Then I brought up the entry and pressed the green CALL button. When the call connected, I entered the passcode and pressed Q. The # appeared and I was able to get into the call. So, I have a temporary work around, but I really need to be able just the number dial like a normal phone. I don't want to add all conference bridges to my address book - I have too many different and one-off numbers to call into, I don't want to clutter up the address book for a ton of one-time calls or the hassle of adding and then deleting after the call.

One other thing on the topic of dialing Letters... on the AT&T Wireless forum someone suggested using the SHIFT lock for only letters when trying to dial with letters (ALT-RSHIFT). I tried that and that worked. The one thing I noticed: when you're dialing and typing the letters, it doesn't automatically convert it to numbers. You'll see the text until you press the green CALL button - then it will show the number in all digits. I didn't realize that, so for me that could've been pilot error.

Thanks,
    Barb

clickmouse no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2076B7F6

great tip BUT when I tried using it on my 8100 it took forever because when trying to type in letters using the double tap (cause its a pearl) it would always double up the letters and I'd have to go back a delete and try again it was soooo damn finicky...ugh anyone else have this prob or a solution when using this tip on a pearl?

jdchamp31 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A7ED37
    Quote Originally Posted by zipped View Post
    Here's the funny thing.
    I always have this question in the back of my head - why RIM puts two the cap buttons on the phone - when you type, you can just hold down the letter a sec longer and it will capitalize. No need really for two.

Why didn't RIM make two alt keys (L and R)?
    I say this as when I am dialing a company and have to spell the name, my fingers seem to have to play twister trying to squeeze around one finger pressing the alt key, the other hand trying to hit a,q,s, or z.

I would love to suggest to RIM to keep the left cap key (so you can do the combo alt+cap to do the num lock, or hit cap for the word selection for copies.

I would suggest the right cap key be made another alt key. Would be a ton easier when trying to hit the letters fast enough while dialing (and keep me from drivng off a cliff...) Anyone else have this issue?
    They have different uses. Alt and the left cap key locks you into numbers while alt and the right button locks you into caps.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123