Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello and thanks in advance for your help. I am having a problem with my ... BlackBerry Curve forum

slabuda no está en línea Stack level 1

Dialing From Home Screen

Advertisement

Hello and thanks in advance for your help. I am having a problem with my curve. I used to be able to start typing a contacts name when I was on the home screen and the contact list would appear...then I could select the contact from the list and choose the number I wanted to call. However, now the contact list appears empty and I can not dial contacts by name like this.

For example, if I wanted to call Tom, I used to be able to Dial "T" and all the contacts whose name began with a "T" would appear. Then if I typed "O" the list would get shorter and only display the contacts whose name begins with "TO". Now when I type "T" is says "No Addresses" under the entry field. If I go into the address book application I can verify that my contacts exist.

This seems to have happened after upgrading the software on my device, but I am not certain that this issue appeared right after upgrading...I can not say for sure.

I have verified that the "dial from home screen" option is set to "yes" and I have verified that my address book still contains all of the contact records it did before this issue began.

Please help...

Re: Dialing From Home Screen

Hi and thanks for the response. I have tried pulling the battery (force a reset), but it does not solve the problem.

If I am on the home screen and hit a letter it opens the phone / dialing screen and their is a message that says "Type a name or number to make a call". I used to be able to jump into my contact list directly from this screen...I mean I could type the first few letters of a name and get a list of contacts...then I could scroll down the list and select the contact I wanted to call.

My current phone worked this way until recently and my Pearl (previous phone) worked that way the entire time I owned it.

Any other suggestions?

c3po25 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    212D4E69

Quote Originally Posted by Caspan View Post
    OK so when you are on the home screen do you first start typing the name or do you hit the hot key for opening contacts. I have never seen the ability to start typing a name from the home screen. The dial from home screen just allows you to start dialing numbers while not in the phone application.
    actually, you can dial from home screen. go to the call screen and go to options, then go to general options and change your option on "dial from home screen" from no to yes....then save your setting....and try dialing a name from the home screen, the call screen will automatically appear with the contact list that you are typing

any thoughts on why this is not working for me?

No. Even if I go into the phone application the contacts do not appear as I type. I have a contact named Frank in my contact list and if I go into the phone application and type in "Frank" his contact record still does not appear...

PIN/ID
    212D4E69

Quote Originally Posted by slabuda View Post
    any thoughts on why this is not working for me?
    so...did it all the sudden didn't work anymore?? or did you change setting?? upgraded the OS?? etc

I did upgrade the OS last week, but I think it was working after that...I have not adjusted any of the other settings on the phone (none that I can remember adjusting)
    -------
    Right...it shows "No Address", but I can verify that the person exists in my address book.
    Last edited by slabuda; 12-13-2007 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Automerged.

hmm...that means connecting it to my PC and reseting everything, right?

PIN/ID
    212D4E69

Quote Originally Posted by slabuda View Post
    hmm...that means connecting it to my PC and reseting everything, right?
    yeah, use the DM and backup your device.....then wipe your device and reload your OS

PIN/ID
    212D4E69

Quote Originally Posted by Caspan View Post
    If it is doing that the only thing I can suggest is a device backup and wipe. Something is not acting as it should.
    I wonder if using the backup file to load the BB will cause it to do the same thing that it did previously do to it being restored from the same settings??

ok...thanks for the help.

I could actually just sync my device to my address book and then wipe the entire device...I am using the new Google Calendar program and don't mind installing it again, etc. Do you think it would be better to just wipe the device and start fresh?

PIN/ID
    212D4E69

if the above doesn't work and if you don't have a lot of stuff on your device in terms of 3rd party softwares...I would suggest to sync your device with outlook and wipe your device completely and not restoring with the back up....just simply load the OS and then connect your device to the PC and sync your BB to the outlook to get all your info back...the only thing is that you would have to re customize your profiles, ringtones, etc let us know if there's anything else we can help you with...and feel free to PIN me

I guess I am wondering if this is something I caused or if this is just a fluke...I don't want to do all the reseting and then recreate the problem by adding a program or some other customization.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast