Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ok, hear me out. Why do people say they want to put a case/cover on ... BlackBerry Curve forum

box33 no está en línea Stack level 2

Lightbulb Devils advocate here....

Advertisement

ok, hear me out.

Why do people say they want to put a case/cover on their BB's to prevent scratches/dings? What's the point?

You see, if you have a BB and cover it, it protects it from scratchs and dings....but you don't get to see the full beauty of the BB phone design. You don't get to enjoy the smooth curves and shiny "chrome" pieces. Your phone actually gains bulkiness and becomes uglier!

So, why not go with this philosophy instead:

Buy your brand new BB; keep it uncovered; enjoy it in all it's beauty. THEN....after actual use and time passes, the phone will begin to weather and become scratched.....THEN you should place a cover on it to not only protect it, but to also cover up the ugliness of the scracthes.

It's not like people really keep cell phone for long periods of time. In fact, i'm sure most of us on this site get new phones every 8 months (or around there)....so why not enjoy the beauty of the bare naked phone for 7 of those months until it does get some scratches....then place a cover on it to cover them up for a few more months until the new model of whatever BB you have comes out and you get that?

rw5579 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Devils advocate here....

Then those poor sales people would lose comissions on accessories~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

I'm all for commando

I can c your point too?

gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7

Ok I see your point.
    But see the other day I talked to this girl who asked me some questions about the pearl and music. And she asked me how I knew the phone so well, I said I had it for a year. She then showed me hers, which was the same age, and it looked like it had been droped from a mile cliff!
    She had no case, no screen protection at all.
    I on the other hand have like 3 cases and some screen protection. I use a hard case most of the time, and I think my device still looks great and has no extra bulk added.
    If I do what you recomend then after a few months I won't be able to showcase my phone at all!
    ~posted via opera mini~

Quote Originally Posted by gkg3059
    Ok I see your point.
    But see the other day I talked to this girl who asked me some questions about the pearl and music. And she asked me how I knew the phone so well, I said I had it for a year. She then showed me hers, which was the same age, and it looked like it had been droped from a mile cliff!
    She had no case, no screen protection at all.
    I on the other hand have like 3 cases and some screen protection. I use a hard case most of the time, and I think my device still looks great and has no extra bulk added.
    If I do what you recomend then after a few months I won't be able to showcase my phone at all!
    but who really "showcases" a phone? i mean, the only phone to get massive hype were people WANT to see it is the iPhone. now i know some of you stubborn people will go...."no, BB curve/pearl is cool...people want to see it"........no, not really. get some random/casual jo-shmoe to stop in the streat and ask if they know what a "pearl" is? then as if they know what an iPhone is? they will most likely know what an iPhone is because of the hype/adversising.

So, i find it hard to believe that people want to check out other peoples phones all the time....unless it's an iPhone that has some ground-breaking mechanics to it like the touch screen or visual voice mail or coverflow or the "pinch" a photo to zoom/unzoom techinque. In all honesty, a BB is just a regualar phone with nothing super unique about it.

Anyway, I just never understood why we put covers on our pretty phones just to protect them from scratches....then in 8 months buy an updated BB to replace it.......thus, we never got to really enjoy our last shiney phone because we were too scared to just use it.

Hey, i'm guilty of it too, so i'm not ragging on anyone. I just created the post for us to think about because i'm contimplating taking the skin off my BB now so i can enjoy it's beauty while i have it and if it gets scratched bad enough to where it's a sore sight, then i'll put the cover on and it'll still look pretty because the cover hides not only the scratches, but the rest of the design as well. I plan on getting an upgraded BB anyway when they release the next version in 8 months, so what's the harm!

oh well.....food for thought.

amigo no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32C401AE

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Upgrade every 8 months? Must be nice to have money. I get a new phone every 2 years unless my phone breaks.

furtive no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7a47e9f3

I abuse the hell out of my phones so covers are necessary. It's that simple.

bcbbanga4l no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    24ac973e

well there is this new clib and case that just came out thats see through and not bulky at all i understand your point about showing off your phone casue im all about that lol but i need something to hold on to it while its not inuse.. dont wanna put it in my pocket get it scratched or lint in the track ball and what not. and it needs to look fly on my hip lol i have a pouch now but that covers it. keeps it safe tho

Quote Originally Posted by furtive
    I abuse the hell out of my phones so covers are necessary. It's that simple.
    sounds like you need to treat your expensive items with more care. i can see little kids treating a $400 phone with abuse, but a grown-up....hmmmm, maybe you should evaluate how you handle your expensive items.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

2 reasons LINT and DUST

if you keep BB's in your pocket both will occur. Dust under your screen and lint in your trackball. The trackball will malfunction.

If that last comment was a jab toward furtive please refrain from public flaming, we play nice at Pinstack

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

That's how I've always seen it. I always used the case the phone came with but with the pearl and the curve they don't come with a case/holster that hooks on your belt so I then I invested in one case and one skin. Depending on what I'm doing that day will determine if I use th skin. The case or nothing. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I like to keep my phones 100% protected. Then when the new BB's come out, I sell my current one (still in mint condition) that's only a few months old and get the new one. It's a vicious cycle. And I only get to enjoy my phone bareback for a day or two at the most.

ajs3898 no está en línea Stack level 3

thank you reddog187 for replying to that...i hate bullies, especially ones who hide behind there computer monitors.

plain and simple, i use a case. if my bb drops, it has a better chance of surviving. and if i'm wrestling with a suspect, i cant call a "time-out" so i can take my bb out of my pocket. im protected by a kevlar vest, its protected by a case, same difference. i wear the vest for the "what ifs?" and i use a case for the same reason.

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

I like cases. therefore, I buy them. I like how they look. and I too like to recycle my bbs by selling them after a while, and it's a real plus to be able to say "in mint condition." plus I live in fear of dropping my bb on the cement or, god forbid, in the toilet. a case offers some protection.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

I use a case so when i want to go "commando" it doesn't look like a trainwreck. Sometimes i put it in the ruberized case sometimes not, but always travels in it's holster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast