Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ok... so I dropped my 3 month old Curve in water earlier today!!! My god, ... BlackBerry Curve forum

crystalized no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME

Question Desperate trackball issue!!!

Advertisement

Ok... so I dropped my 3 month old Curve in water earlier today!!! My god, sooooo pissed about that. Anyway, I had a friend repair it a few hrs ago and the phone actually works and stays on, where-as before I was getting the dreaded "RED LIGHT" failure!

Anyway... NEW Issue.... TRACKBALL!!!
    It does NOT scroll up or down, just side to side.

~ Did a battery pull
    ~ Cleaned trackball with alcohol
    ~ Cleaned trackball & area around with a pressurized air can
    ~ Applied pressure to the trackball
    ~ Disassembled the trackball itself and cleaned underneath it and below it.

STILL NOTHING!!!

I did order a new trackball *a black one*... BUT is their any OTHER FIX?!?!?!
    I need my CURVE BACK!!!
    Last edited by crystalized; 04-16-2009 at 02:58 AM.

thechadj no está en línea Stack level 4
    have you pulled the track balll out? The silver retaining ring is easily and gently pryed out of the device and then the track ball can be removed. Try this out. MAybe with some dry time the ball will renew its usefullness. i cant see something major damaged with the ball due to moisture.
    Be a little patient and see what happens. If no go still the new track ball should remedy your issue.
    breath and relax.
    best regards
    cHAd
    P I N S T A C K E R F O R L I F E!

PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    I have pulled the trackball and casing out and cleaned underneath and around it and still nothing! Ugh... sooo frustrating!!! Phone is USELESS w/o it. I was beginning to wonder if issues with the motherboard would affect this.

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    You said you have a curve right? When you look in the hole where the track ball once sat there is a copper circle inside of it on the board inside. Do you notice any where or tear? Also when you put the trackball in did you make sure the metal tab on the underside of the trackball is pointed upwards toward the screen?

PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    BES Noob - yes, i checked for these things. The copper circle is there, and that and that inside area has been cleaned. Checked the metal tab for pointing upwards also.

Still nothing...

PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    Actually I just looked now and the copper piece doesn't stick very well... not sure how this is to be in...

PIN/ID
    just ask
    If you were local I could hook you up with a trackball I have a bunch of them but I highly doubt you live in the Portland area. Somehow I also have this bad feeling that it may not be the trackball that is causing that issue either. How does the trackball roll currently? Is it smooth and consistent or a little rough?

PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    I already ordered a new one anyway, it rolls smooth and great side to side just NO UP AND DOWN at all...

What else do u think would be causing the issue?
    I had a friend who's an electronic tech, tear the phone down in it's entirety (all the way to the motherboard) and go thru it. He fixed the "RED LED" fail error earlier when it wasn't booting at all... the rest of the phone seems to opperate fine now, just now this trackball issue...
    Last edited by crystalized; 04-16-2009 at 03:22 AM.

PIN/ID
    just ask
    You don't need to take apart the phone to fix the red led failure. As for the trackball issue. Its hard to say from my experience I don't like to condemn parts unless I know for 100% sure that the part is broken. That is why I have a bunch of phones so I always have extra parts. All I can say is if you have a friend that has a 8300, 8100, or 8800 series phone I would ask them if you could borrow their trackball for a few minutes to see if it is really an issue with the trackball. I don't like making assumptions.

PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    Thanks for the input... my friend that took the phone apart, tried a couple different trackballs... the other 2 he tried, were from bad phones so wasn't sure if they were even good, but all the same issue.

If ya know... what else would cause the trackball to do this?

jasonring no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    be kind
    This may sound stupid and overly simple.... But the onlytime I had the trouble you have, I had the trackball in 90 degrees the wrong direction. Good luck to ya.
    Last edited by jasonring; 04-16-2009 at 03:51 AM.

PIN/ID
    just ask
    I hate to say this as I figured that may be the issue. That copper circle we were talking about earlier. How much wear do you see on it? Do you see any wear marks that make the circle look worn out? Out of my experiences you don't run into trackballs with the same issue over and over again. I'm thinking it might be the board.

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    Check out this information Put that thing in a bag of rice for 24hrs after you affect the trackball procedures via the link.
    Last edited by Berryadict; 04-16-2009 at 03:49 AM.

PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    The trackball will only go in two ways because of the white clips on 2 sides... the trackball will only fit with these white clips on the left and right side, not up and down. So the only 2 ways that are left for the track ball are right side up and upside down... both of which do not solve the problem. I could be wrong and will look again at this, but tried this also... Thanks tho! =)

PIN/ID
    just ask
    Now did you get a chance and compare your trackball with the other ones that you used earlier? Did they all look the same?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast