Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by Amigotek I think Doughdaddy might be headed the direction we need to ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    I think Doughdaddy might be headed the direction we need to head now. Is this comp your personal comp or a company comp connected to a network?

Zo
    Me too - I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't think of it. That's what makes teamwork so great - different folks think of different things. We KNEW it was on his p-c b/c it show'd in add/remove pgms.

Collie,

Did you find it?
    Is the mystery solved? Please post.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Collie no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by doughdaddy View Post
    Collie,
    Even though it should not be, check that it is not hidden. Go to My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View (tab) > check "Show Hidden Files" and also uncheck "Hide Extensions for known files" and "Hide Protected Operating System Files".

If it is in Add/Remove Programs, then it has to be on the PC or it would not show. Also, when installing the app or trying to run it make sure you are logged into the PC with admin rights. If you are logging in with a general account with out admin rights, you may not be allowed access to the app.

The direct access to the app is: C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\DesktopMgr.exe
    If you do not see that check the settings I mentioned above. Once you do find it, right click > Send To > Desktop (create shortcut) to add it to the desktop.
    I know it must be on my PC, hence the topic title Yes, I am logged as Administrator (the only user on this computer). Concerning your suggestions, I think the best way to reply is to share a printscreen with you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    I think Doughdaddy might be headed the direction we need to head now. Is this comp your personal comp or a company comp connected to a network?
    It's irrelevant, I have the same issue both on company comp connected to a network (which I administrate) and on my personal laptop at home. I tried to install the app on another company laptop, just out of curiosity, but the same thing happens. So it must be some bug in that specific app version, I see no other solution.

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Collie,

Did you find it?
    Is the mystery solved? Please post.
    Sorry, I was away for the Easter weekend and my data transfer is too expensive to use BB to access forums

Thanks for the tips, guys. I was hoping that someone had the same issue and that there was some one-click solution to the problem. I guess that it'll remain a mystery and that I'll end up downloading some more app versions until I find one that can communicate with my BB and be able to run more than once

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro
    Your screen shot shows your running the 4.2 version. Uninstall that and try the 4.3 version to see what happens.

Your screen shot shows your running the 4.2 version. Uninstall that and try the 4.3 version to see what happens.
    As I wrote before - 4.3 version doesn't work for me. I had it installed, it recognized the phone and I could sync between phone and Outlook, but I couldn't add or remove apps.

But yes, the 4.3 version was accessible through all the usual ways (Start menu, Program files, shortcuts)...

Did you try installing everything in an order? Uninstall everything, (DM, OS) and install 4.3 first, then install the OS. Before you do that, take a look through the registry entries and make sure they are there and permissions are correct. Here are the entries:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT>>RIMDeviceManager.DeviceManager and see if the following two folders exsist under it: CLSID and CurVer then check HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT>>RIMDeviceManager.DeviceManager. 1 for the following folder in it: CLSID
    Make sure you have ownership of the entries, set them that way if you don't. Even as admin you don't always get ownership.

If everything is there and correct, unistall the apps, make sure the reg entries are gone (remove if still existant) and reboot. Reinstall the DM (4.3) first, sync the device, install the OS and re-sync. Attempt to add remove an app or theme. One last thing, are you running your carriers OS? If not, you did delete the vendor.alx file correct? (just covering bases).

Thanks, I didn't think of checking the registry (silly me). I'll try uninstalling, cleaning the registry and reinstalling everything. Something must've stuck in there.

By OS you mean operating system on my BB? If so, I didn't reinstall it, I still have the one that was initially installed by my carrier (Vipnet, Vodafone partner in Croatia). It seems to work really fine for now so I'm reluctant to change it.

Thanks dd!

Quote Originally Posted by Collie View Post
    Thanks, I didn't think of checking the registry (silly me). I'll try uninstalling, cleaning the registry and reinstalling everything. Something must've stuck in there.

By OS you mean operating system on my BB? If so, I didn't reinstall it, I still have the one that was initially installed by my carrier (Vipnet, Vodafone partner in Croatia). It seems to work really fine for now so I'm reluctant to change it.

Thanks dd!
    Yes, by OS I mean the BB OS. After installing the DM 4.3, install the BB OS onto the PC. If you did not reinstall that then you will get the "No apps for this device found" message. Follow my directions above and let me know how that works out. You can also take the opportunity to update the BB OS to a newer version. If you want to walk through that after this let us know.

Yes, by OS I mean the BB OS. After installing the DM 4.3, install the BB OS onto the PC. If you did not reinstall that then you will get the "No apps for this device found" message. Follow my directions above and let me know how that works out. You can also take the opportunity to update the BB OS to a newer version. If you want to walk through that after this let us know.

OK, I tried sweeping up the registry and re-installing a 4.2.2 version of DM and still the same thing happens. OK, at least I had the opportunity to update my BB a little bit on that first&only run of DM

So I guess I'll have to install the OS on my PC. Thanks for the offer, but I'm sure that a walkthrough for that can be found somewhere on this forum, right?

Concerning BB OS updating, I'm not so confident about it because, as I said, it works really fine. Don't fix it if it ain't broken, they say. Not to mention that specific OS for my carrier can't be found anywhere - if that matters anyway. But I'm really rather lost with the subject and it'll obviously take some research.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote from Collie: Concerning BB OS updating, I'm not so confident about it because, as I said, it works really fine. Don't fix it if it ain't broken, they say. Not to mention that specific OS for my carrier can't be found anywhere - if that matters anyway. But I'm really rather lost with the subject and it'll obviously take some research.

Collie,

You can run any carrier's OS on your phone as long as it is for YOUR SPECIFIC device. You only have to download it to your p-c, delete the vendor's file BEFORE you install it on your handheld. If you want more info on that post back here. It looks like you've got your hands full dealing with your DM problems for now.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by Collie View Post
    Not to mention that specific OS for my carrier can't be found anywhere - if that matters anyway. But I'm really rather lost with the subject and it'll obviously take some research.
    Piece of cake, as they say:
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...8C0EAA45DD167A

Sorry for reviving the topic after a week (I was on a trip) just to say that the installation went smoothly and everything works all right thanks to doughdaddy's advices

It looks like that DM I downloaded was faulty (although a mystery remains - where was that software? - and it's bugging me, but only a tad )

Thanks, people

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12