Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

After a few versions of software I have installed and received that "something something no ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Collie no está en línea Stack level 2

Desktop Software - where is it?

Advertisement

After a few versions of software I have installed and received that "something something no programs for your handheld available something something" error - I'm sure you know what I mean - I managed to find a working version of Desktop Software (BlackBerry v4.2.2) which I downloaded from my carrier's website.

Now, I install it and I can do everything - I can sync, add&remove apps from my BB and it seems OK. But, after I exit the program i can't run it again because I can't find it on my PC There are no shortcuts to it, there is no mention of it in Program files... I tried on my office PC and on my laptop, but the same thing happens. It is installed because I see it in Add&remove programs window in Control Panel, but I can't locate it anywhere. I tried re-installing it several times, hoping that it will ask me about the folder where it'll install, but no. It runs for the first time after installation, and after I close it I can say good bye to it. If I want to change something on my BB, I need to uninstall it, install it from scratch and perform whatever I want to perform, which is pretty annoying.

Anyone had similar experience?

saukrateaz no está en línea Stack level 3
    Wow, that's crazy, you have 1 time use software. Don't let microsoft hear about this or they'll get ideas. I've not heard of that happening before. You may want to check your virus scanner though in case its being hijacked when you install it. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by saukrateaz View Post
    Wow, that's crazy, you have 1 time use software. Don't let microsoft hear about this or they'll get ideas.
    ROFL

I've not heard of that happening before. You may want to check your virus scanner though in case its being hijacked when you install it. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Nah, my systems are clean - corporate PC is checked regularly, and on my laptop at home I have a squeaky fresh LastXP installation.

download desktop manager 4.3 you get it from blackberry.com thats the latest.

heres a link: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/service.../req_4dot3.jsp
    "When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world."
    -George Washington Carver

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    download desktop manager 4.3 you get it from blackberry.com thats the latest.

heres a link: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/service.../req_4dot3.jsp
    Be aware that 4.3 DM may not help the problem - I'm running 4.2.2 DM and it's fine. I think you need to find your current DM before you move to another. Downloading 4.3 and installing takes a chunk of time you may not have right now.

I assume that when you look in start: all programs (or whatever) you have looked in a 'blackberry" folder for it.

Have you done a start: search for "desktop m" to try to locate it?

If you reinstall it, notice and write down exactly WHERE it's being installed.

Any of that help?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Be aware that 4.3 DM may not help the problem - I'm running 4.2.2 DM and it's fine. I think you need to find your current DM before you move to another. Downloading 4.3 and installing takes a chunk of time you may not have right now.
    That 4.3 version doesn't work for me. It recognizes the phone, and I can sync, but I can't add or remove apps. 4.2.2 works like a charm. Each time I reinstall it

I assume that when you look in start: all programs (or whatever) you have looked in a 'blackberry" folder for it.

Have you done a start: search for "desktop m" to try to locate it?

If you reinstall it, notice and write down exactly WHERE it's being installed.

Any of that help?
    Unfortunately no. There's no such folder in Start menu, nor in Program Files folder, nor on my HDD. I searched both manually and through Windows integrated search tool, and nothing. The only appearance of Blackberry software on my drive is in Program Files/Common Files, I have a RIM folder in there where is Blackberry.alx and one more file. And it can be seen in Control panel/Add&Remove programs too. Really amazing

And yeah, I would write down where it installed if I ever saw that information in the installation process.

Probably my provider (Vipnet, Croatian Vodafone affiliate) provided me with some
    defective software.

4.3 didn't work for me either. I could never get a clean install - tried many times. Went back to 4.2.2 and stayed there.

On my system the Desktop Manager is in C:\Documents and Setting\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Blackberry and C:\Documents and Setting\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup (because I have it start with every reboot - that's an install option I think.)

I'm Win XP Prof - I don't know if that helps. It's got to be there somewhere - you say you see it in Add & Remove Pgms of the control panel - I'm stumped.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

OutsideLookinIn no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    XxxXXxxX
    Is it recommended to upgrade from 4.2 to 4.3? If I upgrade my desktop software to 4.3, do I also need to upgrade my handset software? Does anybody know if HTML email viewer is included in the 4.3 OS or not? Thanks!

DM 4.3 works like a champ. If you have issues with installing it, install the latest Device software onto your pc.
    "When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world."
    -George Washington Carver

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Check the following path :

Program Files\Research In Motion

See if that path exists on your comp. The actual name for desktop manager's program is DesktopMgr.exe

Zo

DM 4.3 works like a champ. If you have issues with installing it, install the latest Device software onto your pc.
    I've had the latest OS for quite a while and had it when trying to install 4.3 - thanks but that's not my problem...and I never figured out what is. I tried it every way but upside down and gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post

See if that path exists on your comp. The actual name for desktop manager's program is DesktopMgr.exe

Zo
    Thanks Zo,

I was pointing him to my start menu which wouldn't have worked for collie - my stupid mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post

See if that path exists on your comp.
    Nope, that was actually the first thing I was looking for after I installed it.

I was pointing him to my start menu which wouldn't have worked for collie - my stupid mistake.
    No, it was not a mistake - if I were in your shoes I would've pointed me in the same direction because I would assume that someone who can't locate the software installed on his computer is a complete noobie

Collie,

How about going here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

and pick the version of DM that you want - for starters the version you are currently triying to use might be the one to pick but it doesn't matter - and download it. When you install, there should be a pause somewhere early in the install process that says where it's going to install. I think it will give you options to place an icon on your desktop, etc.

See if you can install it and learn WHERE it's going. Let me know if that helps.

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro
    Collie,
    Even though it should not be, check that it is not hidden. Go to My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View (tab) > check "Show Hidden Files" and also uncheck "Hide Extensions for known files" and "Hide Protected Operating System Files".

If it is in Add/Remove Programs, then it has to be on the PC or it would not show. Also, when installing the app or trying to run it make sure you are logged into the PC with admin rights. If you are logging in with a general account with out admin rights, you may not be allowed access to the app.

The direct access to the app is: C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\DesktopMgr.exe
    If you do not see that check the settings I mentioned above. Once you do find it, right click > Send To > Desktop (create shortcut) to add it to the desktop.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    I think Doughdaddy might be headed the direction we need to head now. Is this comp your personal comp or a company comp connected to a network?

Zo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast