Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have XP and a Sprint Curve 8330. I am running DM Version 4.6.0.17. Everything ... BlackBerry Curve forum

dmd31842 no está en línea Stack level 2

Desktop Manager

Advertisement

I have XP and a Sprint Curve 8330. I am running DM Version 4.6.0.17. Everything seems to be working fine. However, since it is available, should I download Version 4.7? Thanks

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    It is realy your choice. The first release of 4.7 was a little buggy for some but since the latest release update it seems to be much better. I have been using it for a few months with no issues. Its not something you have to do but if you want to I would say go for it.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Thanks. So if I choose to, I can just download 4.7 and it will install over the old version or do I have to uninstall the old and then install the new? Thanks for the quick reply!

dubie76 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I have an 8330 on Sprint as well. I have DM 4.7 and it works just fine. The new version will go over the old version, but my personal oppinion is to uninstall the old one. Just my two cents.
    Sprint Tour 9630
    OS 5.0.0.230 (Leaked)

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I'd recommend a compete uninstall prior to downloading the newer DM. There are instructions on how to do so in the Technical Support link in my signature. There's also a link to get the new DM, too.

You will most likely lose any OS's you have on your PC when you do the uninstall of DM, so keep that in mind.

Cheers,
    Roger

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Good call, rogro. I should have mentioned that.

"OS's"???

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    OS= Operating System.

Now you are really confusing me (sorry!). Why would uninstalling DM affect my Windows OS? Am I not getting something? Again, I apologize for this but......

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Sorry for not being clearer. Usually when we talk about OS on here we mean the Blackberry OS. To do a lot of things with your Blackberry you need to have it installed to your PC as well as your device.

What Rogro was referring to is that if you uninstall DM then sometimes it will also automatically uninstall the Blackberry OS from your PC. Hope this clears it up.
    Last edited by moderncowboy; 06-14-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Clarification

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I'll interject here that moderncowboydoesnt mean your OS on your BB will suddenly disappear if you ininstall DM. He means that any OS you have saved to your PC that you ran the .exe file for will not be available.

I'm assuming the .exe files will still be there just that DM won't have them loaded.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Actually, Ted, yes the Operating System will be uninstalled right along with the Desktop Manager. Don't know why this is, but it has happened to me whenever I've uninstalled Desktop Manager. Guess I should do some research and find out why this happens, but you need to be aware of it for reference.

ted
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Dead set your Device's OS went? How does that work?

I'm just gonna make sure we're still talking about the OS loaded to the Device goes if you uninstall DM? Like I'm running 4.5.0.124 and if I uninstall DM the next time I connect my BB up it'll go?

Or are we talking about if I have 4.5.0.124 (having run the .exe file) installed on my PC then THAT'll go?

The second situation there makes sense, but the first one doesn't. Just wanna make sure I'm describing that correctly. Thanks RoGro!
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........

It sounds like your second one is what they are talking about here. I think I am staying with the version of DM I have - maybe the old saying "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" is still good advice!

ted
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I think you're right dmd (if it ain't broke don't fix it that is)
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast