I had a lot of pictures and I decided to organize them, but since Roxio ... BlackBerry Curve forum

riff_raff no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    26853B59

Deleted BBThumbs.dat, Curve now Restarting

Advertisement

I had a lot of pictures and I decided to organize them, but since Roxio is so slow and I can't use Mass Storage mode because my computer doesn't pick up my Curve (running 4.5) without the Desktop Manager on, I slipped the 2g memory card in a spare Pearl that was still on 4.2, and proceeded to organize my pics in Mass Storage mode... set up up some new folders, moved some pics around and came across something called BBThumbs.dat- didn't recognize it and figured it might be something that didn't download properly and deleted it. Slipped the memory card back in the Curve, and now it restarting on me. Slipped the card back in the Pearl, works fine. Slipped it in another Curve running 4.5, and it's restarting too.
    I've seen other threads saying to delete that file, but it seems my problems started when I did delete it. What I'd like to ask is 1) Am I on the right track? Is there something else I'm missing or overlooking? 2) Where can I get that file? I looked in the recycle bin without much luck. Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by riff_raff; 05-03-2009 at 08:50 PM.

jrhorner71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    @5K
    Bbthumbs.dat is safe to delete that won't cause your problem. It sounds as if the pearl did a format of the card for 4.2 without wiping out your pictures. But that's in a new field for me never been on 4.2. Maybe an older stack can help out here about that. But bbthumbs.dat works the same way as thumbs.dat does for windows pictures. They are safe to delete.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

PIN/ID
    26853B59
    Well, the card was originally used on a Pearl with 4.2, and when I got the Curve I just slipped it in and it worked fine, even after I upgraded to 4.5. This Curve was actually very stable until this morning, and once I took the card out it worked fine again. It's only restarting when the memory card is in.

PIN/ID
    @5K
    What version of 4.5 you have?

PIN/ID
    26853B59
    Thanks for responding- It's running 4.5.0.81 East Asia, and the problem's been cleared up and it's back to ultra-stable performance again! I noticed that while it was restarting on its own every couple of minutes without me doing anything to it, whenever I tried to open a folder containing downloaded wallpaper in view thumbnails mode, it would crash instantly. If I tried to open in view list mode, no problem, I could even look at the images one by one or in a slideshow. But anything involving pulling them up as thumbnails and the Curve crashed. So I slipped the card back in the 4.2 Pearl and connected it to my laptop, and when I opened the wallpaper folder I found 8 little red x's. I deleted the those files, slipped the card back into the Curve, and everyting is back to normal- it hasn't crashed once since then. Apparently those files got corrupted somehow, and were affecting the entire operation. Looking back, that happened to be the folder where I deleted the BBThumbs.dat file to begin with, so I strongly suspect that deleting it was not entirely harmless and that may very be the root of the problem. Either way, in the future, if I come across another BBthumbs.dat file, I'll probably err on the side of caution and just leave it alone. I really hope this helps somebody...

SVT Cobra no está en línea Stack level 5
    Usually ANY **thumbs.dat, on BB, Windows, etc...
    always replaces itself when rebooted.
    That way if you do have a corrupt .dat file or the (DB) database file is too large and slowing down your system, it will self correct.
    As in Windows, if you are showing the incorrect Icon for some files or folders, delete the DB.dat files, then reboot and all fixed.
    "Nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical Humans." (Spock)

BBqwest no está en línea Stack level 3
    When I moved my micro SDcard from my pearl to my curve it would not let my curve access most of my pics. I never saw that file and I deleted the old pics. Nothing else ever seemed to be a problem. Its definetally the formating the pearl does.

PIN/ID
    @5K
    And don't froget the pearl and curve have different screen resolutions also so that can affect it as well

noidea24 no está en línea Stack level 1
    ok, you are all wrong, bbthumbs.dat is a thumbnail organizer, when you had it your 4.5 it was updated to a 4.5 .dat file, the minute you slipped it into the 4.2 and deleted the .dat file, it replaced it with a 4.2 .dat file. what you have to do is place the micro sd into a card reader, delete all .dat files in all folders then place back into the 4.5 and it will update to new .dat files.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by noidea24 View Post
    ok, you are all wrong, bbthumbs.dat is a thumbnail organizer, when you had it your 4.5 it was updated to a 4.5 .dat file, the minute you slipped it into the 4.2 and deleted the .dat file, it replaced it with a 4.2 .dat file. what you have to do is place the micro sd into a card reader, delete all .dat files in all folders then place back into the 4.5 and it will update to new .dat files.
    Thanks for sharing this information. and welcome to PinStack!