Ok, here's my deal. I have a T-Mobile 8900, which they unlocked for me. I ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Splitz no está en línea Stack level 3

Default Dialing Area Codes

Advertisement

Ok, here's my deal.

I have a T-Mobile 8900, which they unlocked for me.

I am currently working on a 1 year contract out in Saudi Arabia, and have got a SIM card with a KSA number.

The 8900, however, when I try to call my boss from my contacts, it's automatically trying to put a "1" in front of the number and I can't call out from the contacts section.

However, if I manually type the number, it doesn't put the additional "1", and the call goes through.

I've been searching around the phone menus for an option of removing the "1" that is added, but no luck.

Anybody else notice this? Is there something I'm missing?

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    Press the Green phone key>Menu>Options>Smart Dialing>First option should be country code.

Quote Originally Posted by BES Noob View Post
    Press the Green phone key>Menu>Options>Smart Dialing>First option should be country code.
    Holy crap! THANKS!

Now if I can get these wankers to get BIS setup properly, I'll be even happier.

PIN/ID
    just ask
    You're welcome. If I may ask what is going on with your BIS setup?

Quote Originally Posted by BES Noob View Post
    You're welcome. If I may ask what is going on with your BIS setup?
    Here's the story.

I've been over in KSA for 3 months now. 3 weeks ago, the cell company (STC or Saudi Telecom) were advertising BIS for SAR99/month ($26/month).

1. Went to local store clerk who didn't speak English obviously, called a translator "BIS not available in the Southern Province yet". Hmm...ok, never heard of that being an issue yet. However, I know somebody in Riyahd that went to a STC store, and they said it was Kingdom wide. This was 3 days after I was told it was "not available".

2. 2 weeks later went to a different store, and got somebody that spoke English. "Needs special SIM card, can only do it between 10a-Noon". Hmm...ok, never heard of that either. Said he would call, and never did. Since when does a BB and BIS require a "special SIM card"? Dude was full of crap.

3. He never called...spoke to a co-worker that bought a BB locally (and got screwed on the price, but whatever), and was able to activate his BIS plan over the phone, and had it working in 10 minutes (but used an already fully activated SIM card). And didnt' need a special SIM card...LOL.

4. Today, went and got a post paid SIM card. Called up STC (using their stupid numbers.
    4.1. CSR #1 said - "Need to pay SAR900, goto ATM machine and pay then call back". This is wrong, it's a post paid account, and why that much anyway? Called back, got another dude.
    4.2. CSR #2 said - "Cannot add it yet, SIM card not fully activated, wait 2-4 hours for full activation of the SIM". No mention of have to pay SAR900??

Wonder what CSR 4.3 will say tomorrow morning. I'm learning that you HAVE to have patience when dealing with the population of Saudi Arabia. Not sure if it's laziness, inability, ignorance, or just don't know.

Amazing huh??

Quick update:

Finally got BIS to work, and didn't need the wankers at CSR. Finally got access to the proper phone menu's and was able to order/activate BIS through there.

Few minutes later...BAM, got EDGE and all apps log in.

Woohoo!!

Been a long 2 months without BIS.

PIN/ID
    just ask
    Congrats glad to hear your BIS is working. I couldn't imagine not living on the EDGE....