Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm a blackberry curve 8300 user, and recently my company has wanted to get us ... BlackBerry Curve forum

smoothresult no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    26DD2EBF

Data Plan

Advertisement

I'm a blackberry curve 8300 user, and recently my company has wanted to get us smart phones. They have
    decided to get us all Blackjacks, which I told them I was highly against. If I buy a blackberry on my own, would I be able to use the sim card out of the blackjack for use in the blackberry?

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

Re: Data Plan

You can use the SIM card from another GSM phone with no issue... as long as the SIM is from the same network - people take ATT SIMs and use them in many different types of phones/devices, as long as they are on the same network...

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

PIN/ID
    26DD2EBF

My company phone and my personal phone will be on AT&T. I sure do appreciate the help.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

You may have problems though if their reason for getting the devices was to utilize exchange mail service, as the data plan won't be fully compatible with the BB and you won't get the e-mail like they want you to. If they are getting you BlackJack's be forewarned that is the singlle worst device I have evere owned, now I can't comment on the BlackJack II, which could be better. I went through 6 in a 3 month period as the device was crap and wouldn't ring, vibrate, missed e-mails, and the kicker was that all of them would just drop off of the system for no reason and when they did complete a call the sound quality was junk. I usually like Samsunugs and tried ti like this one, but it was a no go for me, and my entire company got rid of them too as their were too many problems. Just a heads up, and I hope you get a BlackJack II, ifyou can't get a BB.

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

first off, if they want you to get the Blackjack for email... that might be a problem... but i may have a solution for ya

Secondly, if you get your phone unlocked from AT&T then you can use any and all SIM cards with the phone just select the right network and off you go!

heres what i would try: get the phone (BB) unlocked from AT&T (Just tell them you are probably going overseas and would like to be able to use a prepaid SIM over there or may be you have one from your company...its ok for you to lie here... i give you permission.. haha) once you get it unlocked then pop in the new SIM card and you are off and running... i would assume that the company would be willing to put a BB plan of some sort on your bill and i bet you it will cost the exact same to them since you are buying the hardware. this is where good notation skills will pay off big.

Plan B: Have the BlackJack forward all your calls to to your BB and use your own BIS to get your e-mails from work... as long as it is not a secured server you should be fine. I bet you that your IT guy has a BB and he might be able to help you.

If they plan on Broadcasting a Calendar event to the BlackJack it may be a problem but i dont think that may be the case.

Hope that helps and good luck!

This is exactly what I was getting at, just didn't go as in depth, as I know that the BlackJack can handle exchange service without any add ons (so it will sync calendar, contacts, and email without a problem). The problem becomes when the server is locked as my company won't allow the autoforwarding of the mail, as we host an exchange server and they want security and control. I didn't offer the adding add on feature as the BB data add on is more expensive than the service for the BlackJack so that is why the companies get it, that and the ability to natively sync with exchange without the need of hosting or finding someone to host the BES server (and that is an expensive proposition).

PIN/ID
    26DD2EBF

When I talked with the manager of the IT department about getting all of us a blackberry his response was, they had the server set up for Windows mobile and he did not have support for a blackberry such as the BES. So he flat out said that if we did get the blackberry, he would not support it what so ever. He also said that if we had a problem with the blackberry and brought it to him he would throw it in the trash. Kind of harsh don't you think. So if we do get the blackjack you think I might have a problem with the server that they are using if I got a blackberry and used the sim card.

Sounds like you might have a problem then, it depends on the settings and permissions that they have set up for the server ( I know my company block them). If you do try this it sounds like you are on your own, and it sounds like the company won't add the BB data on as they will probably consult with IT and this person is unwilliing to bend it sounds like. I would see if they would give you something other than the BlackJack as that is that device that needs to be thrown in the trash. I would ask for the tilt if I were you.

PIN/ID
    Ask

well then it looks like your company is a Windows Based company... Sorry man. I hope that some day they come to their senses.

i will be honest in that i dont know a whole alot about Exchange but i do know that my school uses it for our e-mail and i have had no problem getting my email to my BB.

on another note, you dont need the IT guy anyway, you have PinStack!

but hey to be safe you might as well stay with the BlackJack and start wearing Cargo Pants at the office to carry all your communication devices.... haha

Nothing wrong with Windows based, you have to be something and the two major players are either Lotus Notes or Windows Exchange (and I would take exchange any day over Lotus) although there iis also a UNIX based but that is something else. BES is just a conduit software for delivering the email (as is BIS which is a web based conduit without the calendar and contact hooks) so you would be surprised to find that most of the large players talking about their BES are really running either Exchange or Lotus to feed the conduit of BES (hence the added expense and maintenance involved, which lots don't want to administer as Exchange has all of the conduits natively, that and the expense, but BES does have better security).

PIN/ID
    26DD2EBF

Also when I spoke with the manager from IT I found out that 5 people in upper management had a blackberry. I then asked him if any of those people had any problems with them and he said no. I thought was kinda funny. He told me the only problem that they had is when they would have to change their password once a month on the BIS they would have to delete their e-mail and re-enter. I think this would solely because they didn't know how to use edit feature.LOL.. He did tell me that they were not getting any support from him. I had forgot about this part, so that does give me a ray of hope. As soon as the blackjacks arrive, i'm going to try the sim card in my personal blackberry and see if that works. I already get my company e-mail pushed to me on my personal blackberry off of BIS.

Now you tell us on the last bit about already getting the email pushed to your BB, as that changes most of what we have said and been speculating about this entire time. f you have it working now, you should be good then, just make sure that the new card gets the BB data plan added to it. You could always just keep everything as you have it right now and just autoforward your calls to your personal phone and no one would be the wiser. This was you would still have the ability to use your phone without big brother monitoring your calls and uasge, cause in this day and age they all do.

PIN/ID
    26DD2EBF

Could I go to the AT&T store and get a fairly good deal on another blackberry, if I told them the deal, or should I get an unlocked blackberry off of e-bay?

PIN/ID
    Ask

Question: i always thought that if you switch SIM cards then you carry the features of the new card with you which would mean that you would need to get a BB plan on the sim card. or does it follow your PIN number assigned to your BB... i dont know but i could see this as a problem if you just simply switch the cards.

edit: oh now you tell us.... just get the calls forwarded... that is if you dont mind having all your business calls use up your personal minutes...
    Last edited by JCG3; 02-16-2008 at 11:50 AM.

The only good deal they would give you is if you signed a contract. I would either try the for sale section here, ebay, or craigslist. Or just forward to your personal like I suggested, this way you don't have to carry 2 devices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast