Hi folks, I'm thinking of upgrading from my old Pearl to a Curve so I ... BlackBerry Curve forum

scootersdaddy no está en línea Stack level 2

Curve Wifi Router Question

Advertisement

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of upgrading from my old Pearl to a Curve so I can get the qwerty keyboard and wifi capabilities. I'm on tmo.

I'm totally ignorant about the wifi aspect though...I read that you have to have a tmo hotspot wifi router but that seems like it can't be right...currently we already have a wifi network in my house. I've got a Linksys 2.4ghz 802.11g router right now. Will the Curve pick up a signal off of that or do I have to somehow install an additional piece of equipment?

Also, are folks happy with the wifi function on the Curve? Can you get similar speeds to a regular computer or is it still a bit slower?

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    Hey, welcome to Pinstack!

I've also got the 8320 with T-Mo and the Hotspot@Home service. I'm using a router from the local telephone company, and it works just fine. I've heard of the Curve having some issues with certain types of routers, hopefully another stacker can give more info there.

I recently downloaded an app to my 8320 that measures data speeds. On the wifi connection, it said I was getting 70 kb/s. In case anyone's wondering about that app, the info is here.
    Proof of absence is not absence of proof.

Thanks for the welcome and the reply.

So, do you have to sign up for the HotSpot Home service to get the wifi capability? Like I said, I'm a total newbie here..I just don't want to go in there and have them sell me something I don't need.

The wifi capability is a phone feature, not a network feature. You do not have to sign up for the service to use the wifi. This could be handy if you live in an area with poor network reception, it would be like having a small antenna in your house. You won't get charged for using the wifi, and any calls made while you're on wifi will come out of your monthly minutes.

Feel free to ask any other questions, we were all newbies once!

hagop37 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    244BE076
    Hi there. I have 2 Curves on T-Mo and the Hotspot calling, it's awesome.

Your Curve will be able to connect to your router and browse the internet at fast speeds, but unless you have the "@Home Hotspot" feature added to your plan, you won't be able to make phone calls through your router, only browse. This is the beauty of the Hotspot calling.

And once you add that feature, you can make calls through any wifi routers, ie. starbucks, mcdonalds, barnes and nobles, your friends house, etc.

You'll be able to make calls through the wifi, but unless you have the H@H service, the calls will come out of your monthly minutes.

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    I have an 8320 and the TMO branded Linksys router. Wi-fi browsing is amazing for me!! it's nearly as fast as sitting in front of the computer. Calls are clear. I can wander about 100' from my router and still use Wi-fi/UMA with no issues.

I live in an area where TMO has weak service, and the service that I have is GPRS only. Having the Wi-fi makes all the difference in the world!

I don't pay the $10/mo for the HotSpot@Home thing as most of my calls are to/from those that are MyFaves.

Thanks folks, I really appreciate your insights. Very helpful. I'll have to take a look at how many minutes I use per month and figure out if the hot spot deal would serve me better than the 1000 minutes I have now. Maybe I can drop down a level in plan and add the hot spot deal and come out better since almost all of my calls are from home.

coverdac no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2158058d
    I use the wifi service with the 9.99 plan and with my works wireless and at home I use maybe 100 mins a month. A great service to have if your always near a wifi router, any router will work.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

cadillacz713 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2438f811
    Wifi is really cool I like it I don't pay for the hotspot thing because 75 percent of the people I talk to have tmobile so I use mobile to mobile ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~