Hey all, I love my curve. I love it so much I left multiple Nokia ... BlackBerry Curve forum

HyperM3 no está en línea Stack level 3

Curve vs. HTC Touch Cruise

Advertisement

Hey all,

I love my curve. I love it so much I left multiple Nokia N-series for it. There is nothing that can compare to the way the BB system handles all the functions. Its fast, reliable(mostly) and has tons of hacks.

That being said, Im itching for a new phone. HTC seems to have a HUGE following and all the reviews Ive read show people who praise build quality(something not found on BB's).

Im really interested in the new Touch Cruise device but am wary of the WM6 operating system. Has anyone switched from one to the other and can you explain the pros and cons of either?

Im not trying to compare input as Im sure the full keyboard on the Curve will dominate the touch screen of the HTC. Im mostly concerned with ease of use for the OS.

Thanks in advance.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

Re: Curve vs. HTC Touch Cruise

Now I haven't played with that device in particular but I'm very familiar with windows mobile. I know htc is very excited about there devices and they are doing over the next year with that being said the touch devices from htc are prwtty neat. The only thing I can say about windows mobile 6 is that its somewhat like having a vista for your smart phone. Its pretty secure. They gotten pull email down to every 5minutes and it now supports yahoo gmail hotmail aol and outlook. Most versions of windows 6 will have a version of excel word built inside. But its still windows mobile and that's very buggy. The touch screen on the htc touch devices are very similiar to the iphone. I played with one of the touch phones feom overseas and it was awesome. I know there is one out by sprint and there are 2more to be released in the states by q2 next year.

Compared to the blackberry devices especially I think there are some nice features but I think that blackberry is far superior with the over all quality of there products. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thanks for your honest opinion.

jhowle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3115EE05

RIM has been able to make signifigant improvements over the years to the BB OS without having to rebiuld it from the ground up unlike windows mobile.
    Looking for new buddies. Add me pin# 3115EE05

kitakaingram no está en línea Stack level 1
    I used the HTC Touch,and Dash extensively over the last six months,and now I'm back to using a Blackberry.The bugginess of Windows mobile and battery life was unbearable.

E3BK no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    JUST ASK

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by kitakaingram View Post
    I used the HTC Touch,and Dash extensively over the last six months,and now I'm back to using a Blackberry.The bugginess of Windows mobile and battery life was unbearable.
    This is why I have a T-Mobile MDA (HTC Wizard) sitting on my desk right now...with no SIM, since I moved it into my Curve.

There are modded versions of WM6 I can load into the MDA. It's pretty, it's slick...and in the end, it's a toy compared to a BB. I also get a kick out of playing with a iPhone every time I stop in an Apple store. But in the end, it also feels like a very slick, pretty toy - but despite all the coolness, it's just not as usable for everyday tasks like whipping the phone out of its holster and making a quick call (or answering a call). No question that it's impressive and "neat", but I find that it just doesn't have that perfect blend of pure functionality and understated elegance, along with an incredibly straight forward UI, that BB has. I think iPhones are cool - but I just don't myself using one as the one device I carry with me all day. So far, devices like the Touch have the same problem for me, compounded by the fact that they're Windows Mobile devices.

E3BK no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    JUST ASK

I also left a long line of Nokias for my Curve and as much as I loved my E70, I don't think I could go back to it permanently. Though I do swap SIMs when I need to make myself stay off email when I go out.

I've also had a chance to play with the HTC and I was pretty impressed. I didn't spend a lot of time with it but it was pretty cool. But I have to say that windows mobile is a big turn off for me. it has wow factor though. If given the choice, I'd keep my Curve.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

It does seem that the curve is the best of all worlds. I guess Ive got the boredom bug and I really shouldnt let it get to me. The phone does do everything I need it to. I just like to have the "new" thing.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

I've used WM devices (2003se, 5, and 6, smartphone and full PPC versions of each) and I must say that although I loved the abiltity to customize the software and the today screen, after using a BB it is just too buggy and unstable. I ahve had numerous devices and must say that with the WM versions I found that that implementation wasn't as refined (and the sound quality was subpar) as well as the battery life suffered greatly. One of the great things was that with an exchange server the e-mail was true push and there are quite a few out there that offer free hosted exchange server accounts (so the entire address book, calendar, and mail boxes are sync'd) something I miss as I don't yet have exchange, so I can't run my own BES server to get the accomplishment.
    All in all they are both great systems and it is all in what you need. I do miss the fiddling from time to time that could be done to the system (don't miss the need to do it as I want it as more of an option than a requirement), but I don't miss the lock ups and the random reboots or the required daily resets that I experienced. I think that the BB would be the perfect device if there was more offered software (WM has tons and alot that are free), the memory card could be utilized fully (as a storage for the e-mail folders like can be done on WM devices), and the ability to create and edit fully all office files (excel, word, etc) without subscribed services and natively like can be done on a WM device would be the icing on the cake.

These are just my opinions and I find that the BB (although the build qualities are different) is the superior device as calls sound better, the device is easier to use and maintain for the novice user (like my wife who is technology deprived) and more stable without the OS hiccups and lockups of the WM system.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

I haven't had anything other than a BB....but I just checked out that phone, and it's not that pretty. LOL...for looks alone I will stay with the curve.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

crysti_reyes no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24B09C64
    As I write this, I have a BlackBerry Javelin and an HTC Cruise on my desk.

The 8900 Javelin is the clear winner.

The only thing that I can say the HTC Cruise has over the BlackBerry is the CoPilot Live. It's free with the Cruise and is a very very good program. Anything comparable for the BalckBerry is very expensive.

For those who don't know about CoPilot, its a navigational software like Tom Tom, and like Tom Tom, the device actually speaks the instructions.

Upgrades to CoPilot are very pricey if you plan on traveling outside the US, however, the upgrade is a one time charge...the maps and data are saved to the MicroSD card.

The BlackBerry has many more functions that are superior, as Johnnyxedge said. It's usability is great, and the amount of apps available for it are amazing. Point being that the Curve is a device that you can live off of.

On the other hand, the HTC requires an adapter for use with a 3.5 mm jack, while the 8900 does not.

Out of experience, its a hard battle on the photo quality. Both the 8900 and the 2009 Touch Cruise offer a 3.2 MP camera. Sample photos are included.

I still say the 8900 is the better phone due to useability and the amount of apps available for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images