Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Same here TotalMem is 54919168. IIRC my Pearl had as TotalMem round ... BlackBerry Curve forum

peterthill no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    281860C8

Re: Curve Memory File Total

Advertisement

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Same here TotalMem is 54919168.
    IIRC my Pearl had as TotalMem round 64MB.

Seems that the 8310 has less mem than any other BB.

Perhaps RIM take out an mem-chip to free space in the housing for the GPS.

My 2ct
    Peter

tiger123sw no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24207ab3

My 8320 has 52953088 total I think the diferance from the 8100 to the 8320 is WI FI

quillhill no está en línea Stack level 3

Deleting apps and removing extra crap didn't help me, it was deleting all the excess email and text messages from the phone that freed up a bunch of memory, now my BB is running more quickly.

I don't need to keep every text message I've received in the past month. I don't know what made me think I do. Or the e-mail. I realized yesterday I had 450 deleted messages in my work e-mail that I hadn't totally cleared. Plus I had another 500 e-mails in my work inbox. Imagine how much crap my BB has on it since I have my work e-mail pushed to it.

Anyway, that's my experience. I'm at about 15MB of free space and that seems to be just fine.
    Thanks to my 'Berry, I'm only an e-mail away.
    Or you could just go see me at myspace.com/quillhill

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

Just so you know the device memory is usually 64mbs of built in memory. The memory of course going to be less and that's because of all the preinstalled applications. The newer devices with more features are going to run less memory because more memory is being needed for these applications to be loaded and to run. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    281860C8
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyxedge View Post
    Just so you know the device memory is usually 64mbs of built in memory. The memory of course going to be less and that's because of all the preinstalled applications. The newer devices with more features are going to run less memory because more memory is being needed for these applications to be loaded and to run. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    But if the devices have 64MBs installed why are those 64MBs not shown as the total Memory?

Peter

PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    Quote Originally Posted by peterthill View Post
    But if the devices have 64MBs installed why are those 64MBs not shown as the total Memory?

Peter
    the same reason why if you put a 1gb memory card in your device you actually don't have 1gb of memory available. Its less memory available just like with the blackberry internal memory.

PIN/ID
    281860C8

I don't think so. Cause the different sizes of HDDs or MemCards are mathmatic errors. If a manufacture has a 2GB Card they count with 2 * 1000MB. But a GB has 1024MB.

And the internal mem of the BB is like a RAM-Module in your PC. If you buy a 64MB Module you have the 64MBs Perhaps two or thre MB more. And not 54MBs in a 64MB Module.

Peter

PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    I don't think so. Cause the different sizes of HDDs or MemCards are mathmatic errors. If a manufacture has a 2GB Card they count with 2 * 1000MB. But a GB has 1024MB.

And the internal mem of the BB is like a RAM-Module in your PC. If you buy a 64MB Module you have the 64MBs Perhaps two or thre MB more. And not 54MBs in a 64MB Module.

Peter
    Ah. Youy make an excellent point. Definately didntnk about that. You're totally right. Hmmm. I'm not sure then. I was also taught that it was like an sd card even though I knew it was rom. And I was always assurred that was the case. Hmmmm I'm not to sure.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Why are you guys discussing this? I'm pretty sure jonny is right on this one. With the additional applications you starting file free is going to be lower

acrimsontide no está en línea Stack level 2

I would think it's just like the hard drive on a computer. If you buy a computer with a 40g hard drive and the computer has any preinstalled software, you do not still have 40g of available space.

PIN/ID
    281860C8
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post

Why are you guys discussing this? I'm pretty sure jonny is right on this one. With the additional applications you starting file free is going to be lower
    Were not discussing about the free Mem. Were discussing about the total Mem. The devices should have 64MB of total Mem. But if you check this with alt-shift-h or alt-eace you'll have round 55 Mem total.

That's all.

Peter

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Were not discussing about the free Mem. Were discussing about the total Mem. The devices should have 64MB of total Mem. But if you check this with alt-shift-h or alt-eace you'll have round 55 Mem total.

That's all.

Peter
    I understand that...but with the additional applications you don't think they take up any space? I believe that ever since the curve came out it's been like that even with 8300 models

PIN/ID
    281860C8
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post
    I understand that...but with the additional applications you don't think they take up any space? I believe that ever since the curve came out it's been like that even with 8300 models
    Sure the apps need space. That's a fact.

But welcome to my maths101 (Sorry for the little sarcasm). But I hope you understand:

64 MB of total Mem minus
    9 MB of additional Programs =
    55 MB of free Mem. Right? I think so. Maths Basic should be the same in US as here in GER

Adding more and more apps etc will lower the free mem.

But let us go back to the first thing:

The 55 MBs are not the total Mem this is free Mem after installing some (I guess preinstalled or something) apps.

To get this discussion to an end IMHO it shold be shown so:

Total Mem: 64MB
    Basic Apps: 9MB
    Free Mem for your stuff: 55MB
    Used Mem: 35MB*
    Free Mem: 20MB*

* as an example

I think you know what I want to say. The term 'Total Mem' is only the 'Free Mem for your apps'

Peter

P.S.: Sorry again for the sarcasm

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

The bb has 64 mb total memory. After the os install and preinstalled apps that takes away from the total. The amount of USER memory will be lower because of the os and apps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12