Results 1 to 12 of 12

I just got my Curve last night, and noted the File Total is 52953088, this ... BlackBerry Curve forum

  1. #1
    pda.teck's Avatar
    pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Posts
    1,252

    Curve memory Below 64 MB

    Advertisement



    I just got my Curve last night, and noted the File Total is 52953088, this is a little lower then the stated 64 the device is supposed to have, Anyone know why?? I have looked at a further 4 devices and they are all the same. Just wondering where the rest of the memory is, Possibly tied up due to WIFI?
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

  2. #2
    BusterJames's Avatar
    BusterJames no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    PIN/ID
    2422753A
    Posts
    170

    Re: Curve memory Below 64 MB

    The file total I believe is the memory being used by the OS and applications installed, above it there should be a file free number which is available memory.

  3. #3
    jscottbarnes's Avatar
    jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    No-More
    Posts
    1,273

    Re: Curve memory Below 64 MB

    No matter how much memory is pre-installed on any device...some of it will be used as noted above... for the stock applications, OS etc...

    64MB doesn't mean 64MB available for end user usage...


    ------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD



  4. #4
    pda.teck's Avatar
    pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Curve memory Below 64 MB

    File Total should be all available memory, A Pearl Lists 64356352.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

  5. #5
    pda.teck's Avatar
    pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Curve memory Below 64 MB

    Quote Originally Posted by jscottbarnes View Post
    No matter how much memory is pre-installed on any device...some of it will be used as noted above... for the stock applications, OS etc...

    64MB doesn't mean 64MB available for end user usage...

    But 64mb should be the amount the device starts with. I am currenty on hold with RIM and hope to have an answer from them
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

  6. #6
    pda.teck's Avatar
    pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Curve memory Below 64 MB

    OK, I got to answer my own post LOL
    RIM States the Display shows less due to the added Radio software that is allocated for WIFI. This is by design.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

  7. #7
    BusterJames's Avatar
    BusterJames no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    PIN/ID
    2422753A
    Posts
    170

    Re: Curve memory Below 64 MB

    There is also some reserved memory for pictures taken by the camera.

  8. #8
    cliffr39's Avatar
    cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME
    Posts
    3,064

    Re: Curve memory Below 64 MB

    and I am sure that some of the loss is just like hard drive makers do (it's 100gb but really only has 93gb)... not fair but...
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

  9. #9
    pda.teck's Avatar
    pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Curve memory Below 64 MB

    Quote Originally Posted by BusterJames View Post
    There is also some reserved memory for pictures taken by the camera.

    That setting is adjustable, and I always set it to 0, I have a 2 gig card. But again, the Pearl displays is full capacity, were the Curve is not. As a Geek I felt ripped off for 12mb LOL
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

  10. #10
    Rcbjr's Avatar
    Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    Join Date
    May 2006
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Posts
    14,848

    Re: Curve memory Below 64 MB

    Quote Originally Posted by pda.teck View Post
    OK, I got to answer my own post LOL
    RIM States the Display shows less due to the added Radio software that is allocated for WIFI. This is by design.
    Quote Originally Posted by BusterJames View Post
    There is also some reserved memory for pictures taken by the camera.
    Neither of these really appear to be the reason. the 8300 does not have WiFi, and I don't think that it is possible to get it with a S/W upgrade. So if it is reserved for addressing the WiFi hardware then there is wasted memory locations included in the hardware on the 8300. And if it is reserved for memory necessary for the WiFi hardware to operate, then they are limiting my memory for something I don't have, I want to know about it. And the 8100 has a camera and lists ~ 64meg while the 8300 is much less.

    I'm still wondering what that non-available memory is reserved for.

    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

  11. #11
    HotWax's Avatar
    HotWax no está en línea BES Pro
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    146

    Re: Curve memory Below 64 MB

    These are the Stats for the different Blackberrys On our BES:
    Device/memory/OS
    7100/32mb/4.1
    7100i/64mb/4.1
    7100/32mb/4.0
    7290/32mb/4.1
    7290/32mb/4.0
    8703e/58mb/4.1
    8700/72mb/4.1
    8700/64/4.2
    8100/72/4.2
    8800/64mb/4.2
    8830/48/4.2
    8300/56mb/4.2
    8310/56mb/4.2

  12. #12
    pda.teck's Avatar
    pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Curve memory Below 64 MB

    Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr View Post
    Neither of these really appear to be the reason. the 8300 does not have WiFi, and I don't think that it is possible to get it with a S/W upgrade. So if it is reserved for addressing the WiFi hardware then there is wasted memory locations included in the hardware on the 8300. And if it is reserved for memory necessary for the WiFi hardware to operate, then they are limiting my memory for something I don't have, I want to know about it. And the 8100 has a camera and lists ~ 64meg while the 8300 is much less.

    I'm still wondering what that non-available memory is reserved for.

    Rcbjr.
    The TMO 8320 Does have WIFI. This is what I have Running v4.2.2.180.
    RIM says it is reserved for Radio fuctions, so the lack of WIFI on yours if the memory is the same is al the more wierd. I WANT that other 12 mb back ! LOL
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •