I picked up 2 identical units from the same store at the same time yesterday, ... BlackBerry Curve forum

kobari no está en línea Stack level 1

Curve definitely has quality control issues!!!

Advertisement

I picked up 2 identical units from the same store at the same time yesterday, both of which were manufactured in Mexico and they were both in sealed boxes...

But, one turned out to be good, while the either one has a few issues:

1. Good One was on "edge" network right from the beginning, the other was on GSM all day, then after a charge it went to "EDGE" (notice the capital letters).

2. You hit the browser icon on the good one, it brings up the browser, you hit media.net, you see that media page. The other one: you hit the browser icon, and you see media.net. You hit media.net, you see media.net??? Checked settings, both had same settings (home page, etc.).

3. Visited one site with non-english CHARSET/ENCODING, the good one showed the characters properly, the other ignored the charset???

4. I charged the units in the afternoon, pulled of the charger cables for 8 hours, the good one had 5 battery/power bars, the other one 4 bars???

Althought these are minor issues, it is quite bad and frightening to see such differences on units with factory sealed boxes??? And, these are the initial things I recognized, have no idea what else is going on. But, the bad one is going back for sure...

Am I being too skeptical here?
    Last edited by kobari; 06-24-2007 at 02:55 PM.

BestWitted no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: Curve definitely has quality control issues!!!

I was wondering about that as well. When I hit the Browser I retrieve the same exact information as when I hit Media Net. Wonder if anything else is experiencing this.

greggov no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24047dae

i experience that too on a new one. it was easily solved by launching the browser (either one) then going to general properties, and making sure the first choice (Default Browser) says Internet Browser. mine said media net at first. that solved the problem for me

Well, probably the fix is simple, but how can 2 units have different settings out of the box is what buffles me.

And, loosing one bar out of 5 for battery life after just 8 hours of standby time is quite absurd too... According to specs, standby time for this phone is 408 hours...

greggov no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24047dae

I'm not entirely sure, but perhaps it is the way it is provisioned? As in, the order you register it on the network and then send service books? Again, just a guess. I had three set up in the store and one I did myself. The one I did myself was the one where MediaNet was the default. Coincidence? I'm not sure.

I agree there are quality control problems (i'm on my 4th unit now which appears to be perfect after several days). The first three had combinations of software errors and squeaky sides and loose faceplate. It seems RIM is getting better, since the one I have now exhibits none of those symptoms.

I've also noticed that in the beginning battery life is not that great, but for me it improves over time as it appears the battery gets conditioned. At least for me, initially, I can't put the darn thing down as I'm always playing with it, adjusting settings, etc... Time will tell just how great the battery is.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by kobari
    And, loosing one bar out of 5 for battery life after just 8 hours of standby time is quite absurd too... According to specs, standby time for this phone is 408 hours...
    -

Be advised that you will never see the published standby time on any cell phone, unless you duplicate the conditions. Which are likely to be pure standby not waiting for a phone call to come in, but waiting for someone to turn on the radio in order to make a call. It's all about looking good. With the radio on and having the screen light up, will use the battery quickly. Your doing pretty good to only loose 20% in 8 hours.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thanks for the reply...

I left the machine running at night, which was in standby mode without the screen for 8 hours. So, that is what I was surprised by. There was no screen activity, and nobody used touched the phone during that time.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Yeah, but it was checking in with the network periodically which does use the battery and the lower the signal, the more power it uses and the more often it checks. Try turning off the radio and see how much it drops under the same conditions. That's how they do it for the standby hours. Nothing that requires the processer either

Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

I picked up 2 identical units from the same store at the same time yesterday, both of which were manufactured in Mexico and they were both in sealed boxes...

4. I charged the units in the afternoon, pulled of the charger cables for 8 hours, the good one had 5 battery/power bars, the other one 4 bars???
    Check on this again... I've seen 10-15 different Curves and none of them have a 5th bar in the power/battery meter icon -

There are only 4 bars that fit perfectly inside a hollow battery lying horizontally - when charging a plug icon is left of the battery... (at least on the Verizon theme, I'm currently using and the others I've seen)

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I am so glad I am reading this... When tmo's comes out I might have to wait a lil bit before I jump on the ship

VZDubtk no está en línea Stack level 5

Mine has 5 bars. But yesterday something strange happened. When I left work it was fully charged then got home turned it off including the wireless and when I woke up it had run completely dead. Which is completely weird.
    I Unlock All Mobile Devices, questions just ask

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

But, one turned out to be good, while the either one has a few issues:
    Did you actually test both of them with the same SIM? From what I can tell any of those (aside from the battery indicator) can be provisioning-related issues.