Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello everyone, I notice that the big deal with using the 8300 as a tethered ... BlackBerry Curve forum

heartofalion no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Curve as modem for Mac?

Advertisement

Hello everyone,

I notice that the big deal with using the 8300 as a tethered modem for your laptop is that the desktop software has be installed. However (as some of you may be aware of) the Blackberry software isn't supported on Macs (the only beef I have with Blackberry). Does anyone know if it's still possible to use my Curve as a modem for my Mac Book Pro?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

vanbibbr5 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23FBDEB2

Re: Curve as modem for Mac?

You can do it through the program intellisync. The connection has to be via bluetooth. Your service provider will have the configurations for your MAC, ie. ISP, apn.

userlan667 no está en línea Stack level 2

You can use it on a Mac. Macs are the only computer that I ever use and it works perfectly on it. You have to set up your Mac to use your BB as a blutooth modem and you have to have the BB modem script and the connection information (the password, account name, and telephone number). To get all of this stuff go to www.taniwha.org.uk and look on there. It has all the connection information and the modem scripts. It should also have on there where to install the scripts at. If you have any trouble just send me a private message and I will be more then glad to help.

bperkins no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24045EE4

Thank you all so much for the replies! I'm going to research the links that you all posted and hopefully get going on using my Curve as a modem! I'm happy to see some other Mac users that have BlackBerry devices. I was VERY frustrated when I tried installing the software onto my Mac only to find out the BlackBerry desktop software only works with windows... But, I'm good to go now. Thanks again to everyone!

Just to update, I officially got my Curve to work as a modem for my Mac! So again THANK YOU!

Thanks Heartofalion, glad to know you got it working ^_^

dcMobile no está en línea Stack level 1

Best of all--AT&T at least--is that you can get away with tethering without paying the monthly fee for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dcMobile
    Best of all--AT&T at least--is that you can get away with tethering without paying the monthly fee for it.
    They have a tethering plan now but (like all the service providers) you can do it as long as you don't get caught. If you do it every now and then and don't pull that much data you probably will not get caught but if you do they will cancel your contact.

Quote Originally Posted by userlan667
    They have a tethering plan now but (like all the service providers) you can do it as long as you don't get caught. If you do it every now and then and don't pull that much data you probably will not get caught but if you do they will cancel your contact.
    I've pulled through lots of data, since I use the phone as my sole means of connecting to the internet (no dsl in my area). Typically between 10-25 mb/day.

The grand thing is, though, is that it should be virtually impossible to detect, from AT&T's side, whether the data pulled in is staying on my phone or being relayed to my PBook via Bluetooth. I even spoke to an AT&T CSR once about this, and he told me I'd need the tethering plan. Much to his surprise, I told him I've been tethering without a hitch for quite some time, and that I'm happy with the BBUnlimited (non-tethering) plan I currently have. He couldn't force me to buy anything.

What do they actually provide when you sign up for tethering, anyway? Third-party program support for connection?

Quote Originally Posted by dcMobile
    I've pulled through lots of data, since I use the phone as my sole means of connecting to the internet (no dsl in my area). Typically between 10-25 mb/day.

The grand thing is, though, is that it should be virtually impossible to detect, from AT&T's side, whether the data pulled in is staying on my phone or being relayed to my PBook via Bluetooth. I even spoke to an AT&T CSR once about this, and he told me I'd need the tethering plan. Much to his surprise, I told him I've been tethering without a hitch for quite some time, and that I'm happy with the BBUnlimited (non-tethering) plan I currently have. He couldn't force me to buy anything.

What do they actually provide when you sign up for tethering, anyway? Third-party program support for connection?
    You will not get cough with 10-25 mb/day, I am talking about someone who does 100+ MB a day or something like that. That much will put up a flag because there is no way you could pull that much in a day with just your BB.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    It seems as though the login credentials have now changed to AT&T. Anyone ekse having issues with login of late?

Its still the old Cingular login for me. Here is my connection info:

APN: wap.cingular
    Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    PASSWORD: CINGULAR1

Well I got mine working a couple of nights ago, but tried last night and it wouldn't let me on! I didn't change ANY settings from the other night and now I can't connect. It pops up with a message that's something to the effect of "Could not negotiate a connection with PPE..."
    Any tips?

Same issue here. I don't know what's going on; I did try to flip the APN to isp.cingular and that didn't make a difference. This is why I thought they were changing credentials.

I logged on the first time, got no data transmission though... disconnected and upon reconnect attempts I continued to get errors.

Upon viewing the connection log, I noticed it was reading that it was connecting through the 8100. Turns out the script for the 8300 didn't have an updated phone model, so I went into the script and changed the line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast