Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am on the verge of sending in my curve and was wondering if anyone ... BlackBerry Curve forum

barazani no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Curve - A big disappointment ?

Advertisement

I am on the verge of sending in my curve and was wondering if anyone else is sharing my experience.
    1. first curve i got had a loose power socket , and did not recharge , it was replaced by ATT next day.
    2. Battery life - i can use it all day just fine , but i find myself looking at the bars more often and put the device in standby mode just to be on the safe side , this is with a "veteran" battery, this is something i will miss ( 3 days of battery with full usage ) but i can compremise on.
    3. Reception - my edge reception keeps "vanishing" with no obvious reason , i have a 3G device that 4 bars while my curve will be in GSM mode until i "break out" into the open
    4. No data on GSM ??? - when in GSM my device data services will not work , i have both BES and Web clients and both are not working , my web messenger is dead and so is the internet. my "WINDOWS !!!!" device is actually more reliable , does that make sense ?
    I see this issues on my second curve already , and i find myself missing my 7290.
    I use BB as a work tool and always counted on its superior reliability , am i having bad luck or is this something anyone else experiences ?

evilhomer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Re: Curve - A big disappointment ?

Wow. Sounds like you may have gotten two bad ones in a row. I am having none of the issues with my device that you are having. I also launched 12 of them to our sales force and have heard no complaints. Maybe try another and see if third times really a charm. If that doesn't work you may have to go back to your old reliable.
    Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand. -Homer

HarryMonk no está en línea Stack level 2

Wow. I think you've just wandered into a seriously bad batch of handsets. The only issue I've had which is the same as yours is the GSM. When I'm at home and it switches itself to GSM (for no apparent reason since it was GPRS moments before and I haven't even got up off the couch) I can't make calls, send emails or SMS for several hours.

Fortunately, I think this is a carrier problem, since things have been fine for the last 10 days here at home.

I hope you get yours sorted out. I still think it's a great handset.

NYCrooner no está en línea Stack level 2

Tough luck of the draw. My Curve has been nothing but excellent.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Best BB yet for me... I'm sorry about your BL

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

ive had the curve since day one and its the best bb device by far i have ever had. the battery life is great on mine. im in ny la and miami all the time. never have i been off edge. its all good here. maybe you got a lemon. couple other people i know also have it and its been nothing but great. hope everything works out for you.

exilio no está en línea Stack level 2

Sorry to read about your issues, and I don't want you to think by my reply that I am not sympathetic to your plight. However, from the vast amount of positive reviews on this site, and in my own experience, I think it is misleading to label the Curve as a "big disappointment". I think you have had a bad run of luck on the device -- perhaps a bugged lot in your local store, not sure. Either way, I hope you can get it resolved and start enjoying the Curve -- I find it to be an excellent device.

Quote Originally Posted by barazani
    I am on the verge of sending in my curve and was wondering if anyone else is sharing my experience.
    1. first curve i got had a loose power socket , and did not recharge , it was replaced by ATT next day.
    1. Mine is good.

2. Battery life - i can use it all day just fine , but i find myself looking at the bars more often and put the device in standby mode just to be on the safe side , this is with a "veteran" battery, this is something i will miss ( 3 days of battery with full usage ) but i can compremise on.
    Feels the same, if not slightly better than the Pearl. And considering the weight, thinness, and larger screen of the Curve, that is pretty good.

8. Reception - my edge reception keeps "vanishing" with no obvious reason , i have a 3G device that 4 bars while my curve will be in GSM mode until i "break out" into the open
I have been meaning to post this, but my Curve is FAR, FAR, FAR better for connecting in my area. With my Pearl I would have a hard time maintaining the Edge network at home. With my Curve, I get 4-5 bars of Edge all the time.

• No data on GSM ??? - when in GSM my device data services will not work , i have both BES and Web clients and both are not working , my web messenger is dead and so is the internet. my "WINDOWS !!!!" device is actually more reliable , does that make sense ?
  • Quote Originally Posted by barazani
    I see this issues on my second curve already , and i find myself missing my 7290.
    I use BB as a work tool and always counted on its superior reliability , am i having bad luck or is this something anyone else experiences ?
    I can't comment on this since I am pretty much always in Edge mode.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

I have two Curve's. One each from Mexico, and Canada. Both have been performing nicely without any problems. My take is that you simply got a couple of defective units. Every product that is mass produced is subject to this possibility. I would keep the faith, return the unit and get a good one. The return policy and warrantly assure this. It's simply numbers, sooner or later you will get one that is just fine.

barazani no está en línea Stack level 1

thanks for all the feedback , I spoke to ATT today and i will swap my SIM card out and see if it is the SIM card that is defective , if not I'll try and opt for a 3rd unit ( maybe wait a while longer ). I needed some accurate feedback before i give up on this unit , it is by far the slickest and nicest of all BB's I’ve ever used but I need reliability and functionality more than "looks" and the comments led me to believe my initial issues are not common and might be a bad coincidence . thanks.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

1. No data on GSM ??? - when in GSM my device data services will not work
    Isn't that how it's supposed to be? unless you are receiving edge (lowercase or capitol) or gprs (lowercase or capitol) data services will not work, just voice and sms if in gsm reception.

projectzero no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by blackninja
    Isn't that how it's supposed to be? unless you are receiving edge (lowercase or capitol) or gprs (lowercase or capitol) data services will not work, just voice and sms if in gsm reception.
    GSM is just the voice network, calls and SMS should work fine. gprs or edge in lower case means it "sees" the data network but hasn't attached, and capital EDGE or GPRS means you are data attached.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

..data services will not work, just voice and sms if in gsm reception.
    Quote Originally Posted by projectzero
    GSM is just the voice network, calls and SMS should work fine.
    reworded?

AceBB no está en línea Stack level 3

gprs/edge = You have the service available.

GPRS/EDGE = You are in the process of using the service ie: transfering data.
    .:*~*:._.:*~*:. AceBB .:*~*:._.:*~*:.
    Everything you ought to know @ http://www.christopheraceto.com

projectzero no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by projectzero
    GSM is just the voice network, calls and SMS should work fine. gprs or edge in lower case means it "sees" the data network but hasn't attached, and capital EDGE or GPRS means you are data attached.
    Lower case gprs/edge will NOT get you data service. That's the difference in what we said . Lower case gprs/edge gives the same service as GSM, just voice. Just trying to clear things up.

Quote Originally Posted by AceBB
    gprs/edge = You have the service available.

GPRS/EDGE = You are in the process of using the service ie: transfering data.
    Wrong, see above. gprs/edge means it can "see" the data network, but you're not on it and can't use it. GPRS/EDGE means you're on it and it's ready to be used.
    Last edited by projectzero; 06-19-2007 at 03:14 AM.

BBpush099 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2046327c

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I am having the same issues with my device. I also think this is a carrier problem but I think the device may have involvement too. I came from tmobile which never dropped calls or had no data connection. But this phone drops calls and when browsing will loose data connection. The curve will go from full bars to no service at all. I will try to wait it out but may have to try replacing the sim card too.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast