Welcome to Rogers world (Rogers Canada, that is). I just upgraded to 5.0.0.900, their latest ... BlackBerry Curve forum

siver no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Curve 8900-Issues after upgrading to 5.0.0.900

Advertisement

Welcome to Rogers world (Rogers Canada, that is). I just upgraded to 5.0.0.900, their latest upgrade that they support and of course, there are issues. Big surprise, not! Anyway, have a few questions for my real techie support team.

1). My personalized sound profiles simply do not work. Help? I've reloaded the operating system several times (don't even ask, ) b/c of one glitch or another (probably associated with the Rogers techies, personally thinking). I've now got things working, but my customized, [personalized] sound profiles (the sole reason for continuing with a BB and not an iPhone), just don't work. Under sounds, "Normal", I can set everything and those seem to hold and continue to work, but again, nothing else I seem to do, works. It continuously reverts back to the "Normal" profile, completely ignoring all the work I've done setting up profiles.

2). After a battery pull, the menu key (after you push it) takes you to a white screen. Okay, not a biggie, b/c one can synch it and your background magically comes back. How sad am I, that I'm actually beginning to accept errors, b/c it's not that bad?

and...

3). Some third party applications simply do not work. Shazam for example. Never mind that many of the registration keys no longer work and the companies keep telling me to go to where I purchased them from and of course, "they" do not respond.

Suggestions? I'm no longer on contract with Rogers (yea!), but unfortunately, they don't want to give me anything special with respect to a new phone (unless I sign another huge committment), that other Canuck providers won't. I figured they would, b/c of my loyalty (although displaced), but again, being a Rogers client, I am wrong.

Please give me some guidance. I just might go back to the old O/S. At least there, I knew what worked and what didn't. Thanks for all your assistance.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Hey Siver.....first of all, it's good to see you back and posting! Sorry it's taken so long for anybody to answer you.

Regarding the profiles.....are your ringtones stored on the device or the media card?

Not sure what the deal is with #2. I know you said you've reloaded the OS several times, but did you do a complete OS wipe at all?

Third party apps probably don't work because you've had versions compatible with OS 4.x......you'll have to replace them with versions compatible with the new 5.x OS.

Just some suggestions to start.

Hey RogerG - somehow I ust knew it would be u that responded to my cries of despair. Thanks, .

Starting off, the ringtones are stored on my media card and I've never had any issues. Besides, a few of them play, under one profile. They just don't/won't play under the "customized" profiles, that I have set up. ...and yep, a complete wipe of the phone. A couple of times in fact.

Apparently, from reading everything I can, the "white" screen after a battery pull, is simply a glitch with this O/S (5.0.0.900), so I'm hooped until they update...remember, Canuck here, we have to wait forever. It seems Rogers has the market cornered and we, well, we play the waiting game. Their retention department isn't that great either, which really irritates me, after being a customer since the get go.

As for the third party apps, it just burns me to have to pay for the software all over again, b/c getting a hold of some of these companies, leave a lot to be desired. I just have to decide whether to call it a day and go for a new phone. I just can't decide which. Both the iPhone and the BB have their good "pulls". I'm just used to the BB and being old, it's hard to change, .

Keep your fingers crossed...I'll think of something. Until then, all my profiles will have to remain the same. Not so bad really, just frustrating b/c I'm anal, .

Well, I'm thinkin' it might be time to trade up to a new device. I have a near-new Torch (unlocked) for sale if you're interested.

I've been thinking the same thing..."movin' on up" to a new device. My only issue with the Torch is the battery issue. I know that this is a huge "complaint" with Torch users and also know that, BB is trying everything, including releasing a new model to fix this "known" issue.

So, as it stands right now, everything on my BB is working, just not the profiles. I just have to get my s**t together and make a decision.

Thanks for your offer...I have a couple of friends that are selling theirs as well, so I'm considering all options. Why are you selling?

**Edit** Sorry for the delay in responding. This is a crazy time of the year for me. Busy, like you wouldn't believe.

I have two......only need one.

Battery life can be controlled somewhat through some settings changes. It's not that bad, but definitely worse than some of the other BlackBerrys.

I'm definitely going to have to check into this further, now that I know there is a possibility of battery issues. Changing the settings around, seems like a royal pain in the butt...but we shall see.

Thanks for always responding...

It's not that much of a pain, trust me. Just a matter of adjusting things like the screen time-out, etc. I think you'd dig the Torch.

Still considering it...tried it out and had a rough time, thanks to my lovely, long, fingernails. I played with one all weekend to see if I could get the hang of it and am still thinking. You're right though, I think I do kinda dig the little unit...

Hey Roger - You're right, I do 'dig' the Torch. Hubby just purchased it for me (without telling me) on Sunday, b/c he was tired of all my bitching and moaning about the Curve and it's issues, *LOL*. Now he has to hear it all over again, even more so, b/c with it being 48 hours old, I still can't get Shazam to work on the damn thing and even worse, it's freezing after a synch with the Desktop Manager (on occasion). Hell, it just locks up for no reason at all. HELP! Pssst, it's fine after a battery pull though, *sigh*.

Yeaaaaa, I can move on to another forum topic and leave the 8900 Curve behind. Feels so good...or am I just kidding myself?