Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Older Gen Curves only allowed 2 connections/channels for downloads. The HW inside the 8900 allows ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Crucial no está en línea Stack level 2

Advertisement

Older Gen Curves only allowed 2 connections/channels for downloads. The HW inside the 8900 allows for 8 now. The new support for more channels/connections accompanied with a faster processor make the 8900 loads faster than older Gen Curves and about as fast as the 9000.

bajanbastard no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucial View Post
    Older Gen Curves only allowed 2 connections/channels for downloads. The HW inside the 8900 allows for 8 now. The new support for more channels/connections accompanied with a faster processor make the 8900 loads faster than older Gen Curves and about as fast as the 9000.
    Not doubting you. Last night i did a head to head browser speed test against a bold both on GPRS and same carrier. My 8900 SMOKED the Bold

I know it not an official test/answer but sure as hell gave me some bragging rights.
    Device history: 8100 > 8320 > 8900 & 9530. Keep crackin'

Quote Originally Posted by bajanbastard View Post
    Not doubting you. Last night i did a head to head browser speed test against a bold both on GPRS and same carrier. My 8900 SMOKED the Bold

I know it not an official test/answer but sure as hell gave me some bragging rights.
    I would not be suprised. I have never tried so see which is faster, but I believe the 8900 to be about if not as fast as the 9000.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Lol then i apologize about using a broken test.
    Any links for a good BB one ?

All i can say anyways is that with my own test : my eyes lol.
    Any BB on Edge smokes the Bold be it on facebook.com cnn.com pinstack.com any page i visit.
    What OS is your bold running. I'm on .210 and nothing comes close. I can tell a slight difference while on wi fi but not that much. Soon as the 8900 comes out for tmobile usa ill do a direct comparison.

ajamudc no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    What OS is your bold running. I'm on .210 and nothing comes close. I can tell a slight difference while on wi fi but not that much. Soon as the 8900 comes out for tmobile usa ill do a direct comparison.
    I'm on ATT running .210 on the bold and my results mirror yours. The speeds smoke my old 8820 and my wife's Curve. There is not too much difference between 3G and wifi either. However, that may be a clue about the situation. I've always felt like the thing that slows down the browser the most was the rendering of javascript. If the Javelin's browser does better in that area, I can see some pages loading faster.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    What causes the 8900 to render java better than the Bold. If anyone can give me a enlightend response would be great. I'm very intrested now.

~via Bold (wap.pinstack.com)~

drew4flt72 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Hmmm sounds like there really wasn't a reason for 3G that everybody was clamoring for....

PIN/ID
    Apple
    I beg to differ. When on the rare occasion I'm on EDGE it is noticeably slower. 3G is much better in my opion just for the fact that I can send and receive emails while on the phone. And yes there is difference in speed. My pearl or my friends curve( 4 of them) are faster or even come close to my Bold. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ajamudc no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    I beg to differ. When on the rare occasion I'm on EDGE it is noticeably slower. 3G is much better in my opion just for the fact that I can send and receive emails while on the phone. And yes there is difference in speed. My pearl or my friends curve( 4 of them) are faster or even come close to my Bold. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I agree. The Bold is much faster than the Edge BB I have used. I haven't used the Javelin, but if people are saying some pages load just as fast on it as the Bold, then the script performance could be a factor. Maybe someone with both can test pages heavy with scripts vs one without many scripts. Just an idea, could be totally off-base.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by ajamudc View Post
    I agree. The Bold is much faster than the Edge BB I have used. I haven't used the Javelin, but if people are saying some pages load just as fast on it as the Bold, then the script performance could be a factor. Maybe someone with both can test pages heavy with scripts vs one without many scripts. Just an idea, could be totally off-base.
    Can't wait until feb to try just such a test. Still I wonder, just what is it that could possibly be making the 8900 better at this.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I dont know what it is but again i promise you all, if you dont NEED to be calling and emailing at the same time, 3G is not what the big thing everybody expected.
    Dont get me wrong, you get that and you get better voice clarity over the 3G network. But for now i will gladly pass

offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    the most accurate way to test connection speed is to tether

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I guess so ... lets do a test right now.
    Ill brb.

Here are the results :

KEEP IN MIND THIS IS BLUETOOTH TETHERING SO IF YOU WANT TO COMPARE TETHERING ON THE BOLD TETHER YOU BOLD VIA BLUETOOTH

Then again, i never said tethering was faster on EDGE, i always said the Bold kills EDGE devices when it comes down to tethering.
    I was just making a point that on EDGE for ON DEVICE browsing, it works better/faster than on 3G.

Cheers
    Last edited by ranxoren; 01-10-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Once again, I'll agree with Ranxoren. The 8900 on EDGE is about(give or take) as fast as the Bold on HSPA. When people get the 8900 for themselves, they will see first hand.

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast