I just got my Curve 2 weeks. I have a great friend who bought the ... BlackBerry Curve forum

automan69 no está en línea Stack level 3

Curve 8330 Vs Pearl 8130

Advertisement

I just got my Curve 2 weeks. I have a great friend who bought the storm and give me is Curve and I'm comparing the Pearl Vs the Curve.

Lets start with the Pearl 8130 (typing) is a breeze with the Sure type.

(Sure type) Is amazing as you can Hit enter in the middle of words you are typing and most of the words are correct and actually save you time over a Full QWERTY keyboard. The keys on the Pearl are 3 x the size then the Curve.
    Great for us BIG THUMBS.

I can fire off emails, texts and BBM so quickly.

(Web Browser) The pearl is much faster open and searching on. ETC facebook. msn, Google so on and so on.

(GPS) is very quick on opening and finding my locations anywhere from 10 to 14 satellites on blackberry Maps and Google Maps.

This is what I haved noticed so far.

Now lets talk about the O so great Curve 8330.

Well the curve has No suertype and thats a real bummer for me and others, As we all know some of us can't spell worth the beans. I don't Know why RIM didn't add this to the Curve and before you say anything YES I Know there is spell check. I think thats a pain to click button then scroll to spell check. More work to do.

Suretype is a two in one Deal spell check.

The keys on the Curve are so small its hard to type fast with my Big thumbs.

(Web Browser) I have see With my own eyes that opening and searching with Curve is slugish.

(GPS) Well Should I even Go there.........lol Ok here I Go.... I have tried to get it to find my location and it takes anywhere from 10 mins to 20 mins to get a lock on me and guess what? It says within 2400 meters to 1200 meters and 4 satellites that's RIGHT 4!
    Sure don't get that with the Pearl its BANG ON!!!!!!

I have found out if you install GPSed to your curve and get it up and running it will find 4 satellites then Hit your back button,It will ask you (Do you want to have it run in the bcakground) Click YES. Then open up blackberry maps and start Gps you will now see 7 satellites WoW 7 better then 4! Hehehehe.

But to do all this is a pain to get your Location to work.

Never had to do this too my Pearl.

Well I,ve heard a lot of ppl saying the Pearl is a Ladies phone, I think Not with the keys bigger that's A MANS PHONE.

I think if a Blackberry is having smaller key's what do you think THAT phone is FOR???....LMAO
    Now the more I think and type about it I will go back to my beloved PEARL.

Sincerly......

Automan69

Let me know what you think, Do you agree or Disagree with me.
    Wouldn't it be nice if when ever we messed up our live we could simply press ' Ctrl Alt Delete' and start all over??

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    So let's put all this in perspective.

What operating system is running on each device?

As I mentioned in my Blog entry, phones are an extremely personal thing. I for one can't stand smartype or predictive smartype. I like to punch a key one time for the letter I want.

The curve keyboard is just fine for people with big thumbs. The raised edges make key selections extremely easy. Take it from me. I am not small. I have trucker hands with chubby fingers.

As for GPS. I am amazed the GPS on your 8130 is so great. I have had very little luck with the GPS on any CDMA device. Of course that is just my bad luck. If you have OS 4.5.0.77 on the curve, the GPS should be working fine. Mine wouldn't work worth a darn until I put on OS 4.5.

In order to be completely unbiased, and even help you get the most out of the Curve we need to know what we are comparing.....

Start with Operating Systems....

What is on the Pearl
    What is on the Curve

From there we can make comparisons and do some fine tuning. There will never be a solution for the keyboard preference as, keyboard preference is just that a PREFERENCE.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

curve247 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    I have used both. I used my pearl for about 6 months and then got a curve and used it for about 6 months. Now I am back to my pearl. I dont really see a difference in performance between the two. The man difference is the form factor. SureType vs full keyboard. I went back to my pearl cause I need a change (6 month itch) and I am traveling for the next month and a half and I wanted a smaller phone to carry.

I think it all comes down to personal choice.
    "T-Dub"
    T- Mo: BB 9700, 8900, 8220
    Sprint: BB 8330, 8830, 8130, 8703, 7250

But there's a beautiful view of the end of the world from the pier.....

automan69 no está en línea Stack level 3
    The Gps always worked great. I have done a lot of Os upgrades with my Pearl.
    The Os on my pearl is 4.5.0.131

The Gps on my Curve just stinks, I had .77 then now .131
    The Os on my Curve is 4.5.0.131

Yes the keys are a preference on what you like. I do agree with you Sirthinks.

The more satellites your phone receive, the better Accuracy of finding you.

Well I guess you can get lemons with blackberries and my is one of them.

I don't see the raised edges on my Curve. Hold it to the light and look at eye level, there are no raised edges. They are all level. Yes the one side of the keys are shaved off but that does not raised the edges on the other side.

Not trying to be picking here, Just what I see.

I have tried both phones in the same here area with the same signal strength and the Pearl leaves the Curve behind. I Know that the Curve is newer then the Pearl it should KICK AZZ!!! but sadly i don't see that.

I hope the new Curve 8900 is better then the old one I Just have to wait till my carrier gets it.
    Wouldn't it be nice if when ever we messed up our live we could simply press ' Ctrl Alt Delete' and start all over??

LordSauron no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have had a Pearl for almost a year, and I had recently gotten a Curve, I find in terms of fast typing the Pearl is alot easier since the keys are bigger. Although the Curve is better with the web browser since it can be HTML and the emails as well. And the speakerphone on the Curve is better since it is bigger. But for the most part they are the same phone with a few minor differences.

Rizzleman716 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21C680E5
    Yes the phones have very few differences as far as performance go. I find that many people have problems with their Pearl opposed to the Curve. Just my observation.. And also the Curve is what I believe the best device out there of the older devices.. Or the curve line at least
    T-Mobile Pearl 8100>T-Mobile Curve 8320>T-Mobile Curve 8900>T-Mobile Bold 8900

lsu4lif3 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    personally i tried them each and i am sold on my curve, sorry pearl lovers
    Never give up...you can always make a difference

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by automan69 View Post
    I hope the new Curve 8900 is better then the old one I Just have to wait till my carrier gets it.
    They are night and day. Aside from fact that the 8900 has a huge processor and a ton of onboard memory, the size and weight are amazing.

The screen resolution will make your jaw drop.

There will be no question which device is faster..... The 8900 will smoke the 8130 any day of the week!
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Going from a curve to a pearl, i find i can type pretty much as fast on the pearl, cus it still takes time to click the ball on the correct word, cus its rarely the first choice... and I hate having to switch from suretype to multitap all the time for email address and passwords.

Couple of noticeable differences, On the pearl you have to use menu and select mode, to copy and paste, on the curve you could just hold down the alt key and start highlighting... this doesnt work the same on the pearl.

And with the sure type you have to be pressing enter twice if you want to insert a return or to send a message on bbm, which i guess I am getting used to but sometimes forget..
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

toomuchgame441 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30457A4C
    I definitel prefer a curve, I tried different friend's pearls and the typing was a big no no for me.
    via smartphone~

PIN/ID
    Ask
    yupp i like the full qwerty keyboard sorry

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    I've had both, and the Curve with full qwerty and larger screen among other reasons does it for me~via smartphone~

PIN/ID
    Ask
    nice choice man, its a great device

CMKelley no está en línea Stack level 2
    pearl suuucks

FreekinSweet no está en línea Stack level 1
    I own both these phones in terms of performace the pearl kicks butt the biggest drawback is the onboard memory which is why I upgraded to the curve...and we are talkin about the 8330 not the 8900...
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~