Results 1 to 11 of 11

Just renewed my contract from a 8120 to the 8310 - decided not to wait ... BlackBerry Curve forum

  1. #1
    theuprightman24's Avatar
    theuprightman24 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    90

    Thumbs up Curve 8310 first impressions & quetions

    Advertisement



    Just renewed my contract from a 8120 to the 8310 - decided not to wait for the Bold, thinking it could be a bit pricey, the size, the javelin looks sweet and of the when when when when when will it be released........

    Even though I liked the 8120 I never used the WI-FI, would of preferred GPS - but suretype was getting on my nerves - its not bad I just felt a little restricted when typing - a little annoying.

    So here I an Curve 8310.

    First impression - yeah its a wicked little machine, not relly that much bigger than the pearls, really looking forward to O/S 4.5.

    I do have a few issues which I would like opinion on:

    1) the '0' kind of feels sticky - certainly not like the other keys -- so should I send it back or is this the norm and should feel lucky its only one key - aware the key pad is similar design to the 8100 rather than tee 8120.?

    2) My 1GB micro SD card from the 8120 does not seem to work in the 8310 - as far as I can tell it should?

    3) Anyone got any news on the release date for O/S 4.5 on O2 UK - which I understand brings video recording capibilities?

    4) I don't know what I don't know ..... so any other input is welcome.

    Thanks fellow stackers.

  2. #2
    theuprightman24's Avatar
    theuprightman24 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    90
    I just tried cleaning the SD card and noticed on the connectors, in the phone, three of them look red on the tips - might be why its not working??

    Can I upgrade the O/S 4.5 now or is itbest to wait for O2s version?

    Thanks again

  3. #3
    orgonebox's Avatar
    orgonebox no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2
    I've been using the 4.5.052 rel 75 OS on an unlocked 8310 w/ T-Mobile and it's performed admirably well. I've noticed a few GPS anomalies, such as suggesting that I rode my bike out into the middle of a river, but otherwise the new OS is a huge improvement - no lags in app loading or during performance, such as having a GPS tracker running while using a browser, or killing a few minutes with brickbreaker (a nice way to test yr performance, which is why I surmise it is there).

    However, when upgrading, keep in mind that you might have to use the javaloader.exe program to wipe your phone clean, which means you'll have to manually reinstall all your OTA apps, and some themes may no longer work, e.g. the Surreal theme. I did re-install a theme I prefer from *********.com which was designed for 4.2.2, and it worked fine.

    As for yr SD card, I have no idea. Checked mine, and there's no red on the connectors. My card has been through a couple of phones and a wash cycle (hence one of the phones - the other simply quit on me, and t-mobile wouldn't do jack about it), and it still works fine. Maybe a q-tip and some isopropyl will solve it, if you haven't tried already.

  4. #4
    theuprightman24's Avatar
    theuprightman24 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by orgonebox View Post
    Maybe a q-tip and some isopropyl will solve it, if you haven't tried already.
    Hmm did think about that but if it doesn't work not sure how CarPhoneWareHouse will react...

    Going to take it into the store later today to check button issue and SD.

    cheers

  5. #5
    RogerG's Avatar
    RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,111
    Quote Originally Posted by orgonebox View Post
    I've been using the 4.5.052 rel 75 OS on an unlocked 8310 w/ T-Mobile and it's performed admirably well. I've noticed a few GPS anomalies, such as suggesting that I rode my bike out into the middle of a river, but otherwise the new OS is a huge improvement - no lags in app loading or during performance, such as having a GPS tracker running while using a browser, or killing a few minutes with brickbreaker (a nice way to test yr performance, which is why I surmise it is there).

    However, when upgrading, keep in mind that you might have to use the javaloader.exe program to wipe your phone clean, which means you'll have to manually reinstall all your OTA apps, and some themes may no longer work, e.g. the Surreal theme. I did re-install a theme I prefer from *********.com which was designed for 4.2.2, and it worked fine.

    As for yr SD card, I have no idea. Checked mine, and there's no red on the connectors. My card has been through a couple of phones and a wash cycle (hence one of the phones - the other simply quit on me, and t-mobile wouldn't do jack about it), and it still works fine. Maybe a q-tip and some isopropyl will solve it, if you haven't tried already.
    You shouldn't have to do a complete wipe of the phone to upgrade to a new OS. Just make sure you have the latest version of Desktop Manager which you can download from here:

    http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/

    This will allow you to back up your device, which in many cases will work to back up your 3rd party apps, but as the other poster suggests, you may have to reinstall some of them.

    The latest OS for your phone is a BETA release of 4.5.0.52. Since it is a beta, forum rules prohibit us from posting links, but if you google that release number, you'll easily find a site to download and install.

    Here are instructions to install and upgrade a new OS on your device:

    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...read.php?t=929

    Keep in mind that since this is a BETA release of the software, it is NOT recommended you do this unless you are very comfortable doing so and are willing to accept the fact that you could void the warranty on your phone if something happens with the device. There are plenty of people here at PinStack, though who can and will help you if you have issues.

    Best of luck and please post back if you have issues/questions!

    Roger

  6. #6
    chokem's Avatar
    chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Posts
    11,481
    I had a similar problem switching my 2GB card from my previous 8300 to my 8100. You shouldn't have to theoretically, but I had to reformat my card when I put it in the 8100. If you do this be sure to do a back up of your card before you reformat. Also, you may want to hook it up to your PC and defrag the card, might help.

  7. #7
    jblackfish's Avatar
    jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,116
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    .....The latest OS for your phone is a BETA release of 4.5.0.52. Since it is a beta, forum rules prohibit us from posting links, but if you google that release number, you'll easily find a site to download and install.
    You can now post an official version of 4.5 - it's here from Orange. It says .75 but it's the same version as 4.5.0.52. TIM has the release for your device.

    I upgraded from the Orange release, managed to fix a few problems and am still on it. This thread has lots of info....
    Last edited by jblackfish; 07-19-2008 at 11:42 AM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

  8. #8
    EricaJ1073's Avatar
    EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,420
    ~via BB 8120(wap.pinstack.com)~

    LOL jblack, you beat me to it. I was just gonna post this page link http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=80042

  9. #9
    jblackfish's Avatar
    jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    11,116
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    ~via BB 8120(wap.pinstack.com)~

    LOL jblack, you beat me to it. I was just gonna post this page link http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=80042
    Good Erica. Maybe you'll be around to pat him on the back when he starts crying, which is what I did most of the first day. Then I realized that with a little time and help this release looks like it's actually going to work. I'm still finding a few problems but nothing I can't either fix or live without - Flickr was my most recent casualty.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

  10. #10
    RogerG's Avatar
    RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,111
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    You can now post an official version of 4.5 - it's here from Orange. It says .75 but it's the same version as 4.5.0.52. TIM has the release for your device.

    I upgraded from the Orange release, managed to fix a few problems and am still on it. This thread has lots of info....
    Thanks, John & Erica! Couldn't remember which device there was an official release for.

    Roger

  11. #11
    theuprightman24's Avatar
    theuprightman24 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    90
    Some great info there - thanks people guess I have some reading and thonking to do!

    With regards to the other problems (keyboard and SD card) took the phone back and they exchanged it - now I have no problems.

    Thanks for all your help.

    Regards

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •