Hi - in case no one saw my earlier thread on this: I have about ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Osprey no está en línea Stack level 2

Curve 8300 Photo Problems

Advertisement

Hi - in case no one saw my earlier thread on this:

I have about 30 photos taken with my Curve. I can see them fine on the Curve itself. However I can not download or see them on a PC via Desktop Manager etc. The file extension of the pictures is jpeg.rem.

Apparently this is causing problems to other users, but I have not found a solution. I have tried removing the .rem extension - makes no difference. I tried emailing just one photo and after 10 minutes waiting, gave up. I really want to download these photos off my B'by and onto my desktop. Please let me know if you have a definite solution to this problem. Presumably Blackberry are aware, but I have had no luck in getting through to them to discuss it.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Curve 8300 Photo Problems

.REM means you've enabled content encryption. By deactivating it the phone should decrypt the pictures.

Check that its set to Disabled for Content Protection. Maybe also Content Compression applies to this, I can't really remember.. give it a try

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

The .rem extension indicates you've turned Encryption on.

KB12999 says you will need to uninstall Desktop Manager and download and install Desktop Manager 4.2 SP1 to be able to transfer the files to your computer. Roxio doesn't handle Encrypted files.

I'd also recommend that unless your IT policy requires encryption to turn it off and just use a password.

Sci-Tek - have you worked with Encryption before? I didn't recommend simply turning encryption off because I wasn't sure that turning it off wouldn't wipe out the existing files rather than just decrypt them.
    Last edited by jdellasala; 02-11-2008 at 06:53 AM.
    JerryD

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

oo, thanks jdellasala *bookmarking*

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Turning it of doesn't decrypt them. There isn't a known way to decrypt unless you email them to yourself then I believe that gets rid of the encryption.

trickie636 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20E1809D

Well, I am having the same issue, can't send any mms messages to myself or anyone else. I called ATT and of course they were of NO help! Why in the heck have a mms plan, if I can't use it?

GOSH, the lady was such a witch, acted as if it was no big deal and blamed it on being in Louisiana!

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Once again, Desktop Manager 4.2.1 (4.2 SP1) is needed to transfer encrypted files. Quote from KB12999 noted above:
    Only the the Media Manager for BlackBerry® Desktop Manager 4.2.1 will read encrypted files. Roxio® Media Manager for BlackBerry® smartphones uses USB Mass Storage and currently does not support encrypted media cards.
    Have you tried that yet?

If you have and it doesn't work, you may have done something to change your encryption key, in which case you will never be able to access the data (that's kind of the point!).
    JerryD

trickie636 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20E1809D

Ok, so me being the stupid curve/blackberry person I am, what does this mean and how do I fix/check this?

Thanks for all these replies, I will try the Desktop Manager upgrade, sounds like the only thing I haven't tried already. Will let you know if it works.

mateyzy no está en línea Stack level 1

Lightbulb Alternative solution to the jpg.rem problem

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Thanks for all these replies, I will try the Desktop Manager upgrade, sounds like the only thing I haven't tried already. Will let you know if it works.
    First begin by disabling the encryption option for your media card on the cellphone. Next create a folder on the media card and give it any name.
    Then transfer the pictures from that you have saved on your media card to the new folder you just created.
    Finally connect your phone to your computer and choose open then find the picture folder and then the folder you created will be in it with all the pictures you transfered will be in it with out the rem extension .

.rem problems & Mass Storage Mode

Thanks Mateyzy for your advice. I tried what you suggested: no problem creating another folder in Media Card and moving photos to that folder. The problem however was in trying to copy that folder onto my computer. The omputer kept asking me to activate mass storage mode before it would do anything, yet this was already activated so we had a mexican stand off ! I tried several times and gave up after that - life is too short.

mcarmstrong no está en línea Stack level 1
    This worked for me. Disconnected from computer and created the folder on the blackberry and then moved the pics to the new folder - doing that removed the .rem extension. Connected and then used Media Manager to move the pics back to their original location.

ju1ce no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24781FD9
    Quote Originally Posted by mateyzy View Post
    First begin by disabling the encryption option for your media card on the cellphone. Next create a folder on the media card and give it any name.
    Then transfer the pictures from that you have saved on your media card to the new folder you just created.
    Finally connect your phone to your computer and choose open then find the picture folder and then the folder you created will be in it with all the pictures you transfered will be in it with out the rem extension .

This works. thanx

Check out The RPZ (The Replacementz)...http://www.therpz.com