awesome battery life on the new curve! even more so today! low battery warning came ... BlackBerry Curve forum

iamgoofy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    210ca18d

Thumbs up curve 8300 battery dead or alive?

Advertisement

awesome battery life on the new curve! even more so today! low battery warning came on this afternoon and later turned off antenna,,,so i did a little "exeriment" pulled the battery out and put it back in(that was around 2pm) it is now 10:25pm and low battery again as well as turned off antenna! so i did the battery pull again! and i have good antenna signal,,but there are no bars showing "ANY" battery left! so like i said *AWSOME* battery!

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Re: curve 8300 battery dead or alive?

thanks for sharing
    great info, now if the pearl would do this????LOL
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Be advised that taking a li ion battery too for into the low charge state will cause perminant damage. Most will prevent charging after they go lower than normal but not into a state where the damage is unavoidable. Don't try to run your battery all the way down.
    iamgoofy, will your BB stil charge?

Fair warning
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

iamgoofy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    210ca18d

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    Be advised that taking a li ion battery too for into the low charge state will cause perminant damage. Most will prevent charging after they go lower than normal but not into a state where the damage is unavoidable. Don't try to run your battery all the way down.
    iamgoofy, will your BB stil charge?

Fair warning
    Rcbjr
    dont know yet! thought i would test to see just how long it will go before i have to charg it!

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

As I said Fair Warning. Well let us know how it goes. There is a reason the RIM saw fit to make the BlackBerry shut off the radio when the battery gets too low.

Rcbjr

AceBB no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ive had mine on for 2 days. 45 mins of talk, watched 2 episodes of heroes, played 35 mins of mp3 and I've been browsing and installing programs and themes. Battery is at 75%, I'm very impressed.

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

You are killing your battery. Lithium Ion batteries work best when they aren't allowed to go above 80% charge or under 20% drain. The BlackBerry Curve accounts for that, stopping charging before the peak and claiming the battery is dead when there is still juice left in it. Even the Prius does this to protect its batteries.

By pulling out the battery and re-inserting it, you are fooling this safety system and killing your battery's long-term capacity and strength. My advise is to plan on a battery replacement in the near future.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman
    . . . Lithium Ion batteries work best when they aren't allowed to go above 80% charge or under 20% drain. . . .
    What's your source for the 80% figure. I would like to review the research behind it. I deal with the reliability of Li Ion batteries (amoung other things) in military applications and that goes against everthing I've read about them.

I agree with the rest of your post, good information.

Thanks
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

What's your source for the 80% figure. I would like to review the research behind it.
    Not sure where I read that, think a series of articles about the lithium batteries on the Prius. It is possible that I have the percentages wrong, but the general idea is supposed to apply to all lithium ion batteries... best to keep them within a safe green zone and not hit either extreme.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I'll have to research that then as everything I've seen about Li Ion is that they are happiest when fully charged. Agreed you difinitely don't want to overcharge them by trying to get them above the proper voltage. But Design Voltage is 100 %.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

AceBB no está en línea Stack level 3

24 hours of pretty constant use and my battery is still at 30%. I decided to charge it anyway. The people that are experiencing a low battery in 2 days or less should get that looked at. I can easily see the phone lasting at least 3 days of regular use.

I'll have to research that then as everything I've seen about Li Ion is that they are happiest when fully charged. Agreed you difinitely don't want to overcharge them by trying to get them above the proper voltage. But Design Voltage is 100 %.
    I think what I was trying to say is that 100% charge is actually not all the battery can handle. Notice how the Curve doesn't trickle-charge the battery once its at capacity, it just turns off the plug icon and stops charging all together. But if you wired up the battery to a non-intelligent charger, you'd still be able to charge it more ('overcharge') reaching a higher theorical 100%. So if the true max capacity is higher, my point is the Curve (and any properly designed smart charger) stops at that earlier percentage before full capacity to insure maximum battery effectiveness.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

two weeks into use and beginning my 'night' with a fully charged battery and waking up to a fully charged battery...moderate usage during the day with periodical charging

also used hayden's thread here to help with battery life

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...curve_may.html