Here goes: I bought an 8320 on ebay, sold as unlocked by a reputable (500 ... BlackBerry Curve forum

digdug no está en línea Stack level 1

curious unlock situation - advice needed!

Advertisement

Here goes:

I bought an 8320 on ebay, sold as unlocked by a reputable (500 plus positive, no negatives). I bought this in anticipation of my trip here to Sri Lanka for one year and had no way to confirm unlock - so I took my gf's iphone sim and was able to use the browser and that was it.

Fastword to now where I'm in Sri Lanka and am being told by Dialog (the premier provider here) that when attempting to set-up an account, the computer responds that "the device is already registered to another provider". When I told him that I bought this unlocked he mumbled something about being onlocked only for phone and not data?

Really stuck and need this, for obvious reasons, to be resolved asap. Apparently there's a guy who unlocks phones at a local bazaar, but I'm worried he won't know what to do with a BB, as they are not common here, and might irreversably ruin it.

Any advice guys will be MUCH appreciated.

swe_tawk no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    210d17b3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ in all likelihood the units IMEI is still registered to whichever providers ur girlfriends sim is as it is the last sim to be inserted into it and connected to network, u would have to call there BB support to have it released, if it wasn't through them, you would have to get the seller of the unit to get the IMEI released from the "home" provider of the phone or his test sim providers BB support department. I had this problem when I bought mine on ebay as well.

cjcarbone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    not anym
    To check if its unlocked, go into options>advanced>SIM then type MEPD (you wont see any input, but it will bring you to a new screen)

It should say DISABLED next to all the prompts.

What the "device is registered to another provider" means that, the previous owner, and most likely not your GF, has not removed the PIN from their BIS account, and you need to contact them to have them do so.

Putting the SIM card in only registers the SIM with the network, it doesnt change the PIN and IMEI attached to the account.

digdug no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks for the tips. I will be a generic $2 SIM card here and then try what CJCarbone says. I get no such menu, and imagine a SIM will have to be inserted to attempt that.

Thanks for the help and I'll report back.

If the seller says that he never registered with AT&T (its an AT&T branded Curve), how do I go about finding which provider it is registered to? Or perhaps the "registered with another provider" means that it is in a database as locked to AT&T, and wasn't truly unlocked?

buckwild480 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2440c0aa
    Are you sure that it was brand new? Only time I've seen that is when the phones PIN was registered, to a BB account, contact BB if possible, and have them delete out the PIN profile...
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

bukzin no está en línea Stack level 2
    Not a great option but, buy another phone to get you through.