Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by RoGro Privacy and security of those being recorded. As I said earlier, ... BlackBerry Curve forum

mbranscum no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2161A8BC

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Privacy and security of those being recorded. As I said earlier, each state has its own rules about this.....some require that at least one party be aware of the fact that they are being recorded. Others have no such requirement. So how do you develop and distribute an application within those kinds of constraints?
    It is too bad that when discussions like this come up, people tend to insert their personal opinion rather than facts. As a law enforcement officer that deals with these issues, I can tell you that it is more of a RIM decision that anything else.

The Symbian phone platform has several software programs that do this quite well. Windows Professional in also capable of this as well as Palm OS devices.

The facts are only 12 US states require that ALL parties be informed of a recorded conversation. Those states are: California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. In all other states only ONE party has to consent.

Most business professionals find this useful for documenting conversations or phone orders. I use a Nokia E71 and record every conversation, automatically, in the background, so if I need to go back and reference something, I can.

More information on this subject can be found here:
    http://www.callcorder.com/phone-reco...0Laws%20(Table)
    Follow me on Twitter

Cool Smartphone User Guy

eyecon82 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    It is too bad that when discussions like this come up, people tend to insert their personal opinion rather than facts. As a law enforcement officer that deals with these issues, I can tell you that it is more of a RIM decision that anything else.

The Symbian phone platform has several software programs that do this quite well. Windows Professional in also capable of this as well as Palm OS devices.

The facts are only 12 US states require that ALL parties be informed of a recorded conversation. Those states are: California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. In all other states only ONE party has to consent.

Most business professionals find this useful for documenting conversations or phone orders. I use a Nokia E71 and record every conversation, automatically, in the background, so if I need to go back and reference something, I can.

More information on this subject can be found here:
    http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm#State%20Laws%20(Table)
    Finally! someone with actual facts comments on this instead of throwing up a smokescreen they know nothing about. This is purely RIM's decision and so much so that they prevent developers from creating any phone convo recording program.

RIM sort of reminds me of Apple...like to have minuscule control over their software and what programs get developed for them

The access to the camera flash is also hindered....this prevents any developer from creating a flashlight program that will turn on the flash without having to activate the camera or video recorder

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    What did I say that was a smokescreen? And did I ever say anything that suggested this particular issue had nothing to do with RIM?

Go easy here, fellas. And thank you for bringing some clarity to the issue, mbranscum.

BTW, go cubs!

I generally consider throwing up the legal issue a smokescreen because it sidetracks away from the real issue...that RIM doesn't allow this...who knows why.

Wasn't trying to be rough here...but if you look at any thread regarding phone recording, you will always see individuals throw out the legal issue when that has nothing to do with why RIM doesn't allow this.

Even if phone recording was 2 party consent in all 50 states, then this could still be accomplished by having a legal disclaimer just as telenav does with their GPS program and many other developers do the same...that is all

If this was possible, a developer would have been all over this. In fact, I have tried contacting several who simply said that this is just not possible because RIM doesn't allow any access to the speaker via software

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Legal disclaimers are the way to go...

Let's get an app out there people...
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Quote Originally Posted by reddrvgon View Post
    unfortunately, this is out of developers hands...it is up to RIM to allow this

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Then let's start a petetion... Freedon of speech, freedom of choice... An unrestricted mobile environment... REVOLUTION !!!

Hank061978 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Well draw it up and I'll put my name at the top. Wow guys I never thought this was such a touchy subject with my fellow stackers. I swear I didn't mean to start a riot!!! :-). Happy Stackin'

-Hank

SVT Cobra no está en línea Stack level 5

Thumbs up I Do !!

Quote Originally Posted by reddrvgon View Post
    Legal disclaimers are the way to go...

I DISCLAIM everything!
    And I recorded all of you!
    Last edited by SVT Cobra; 02-25-2009 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Added

Quote Originally Posted by Hank061978 View Post
    Well draw it up and I'll put my name at the top. Wow guys I never thought this was such a touchy subject with my fellow stackers. I swear I didn't mean to start a riot!!! :-). Happy Stackin'

-Hank
    it becomes a touchy subject when fellow stackers blindly think RIM is God...and everything they do must have a valid reason...like the legal excuse for preventing phone call recording

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12