Can anyone relate to this.....I don't feel old....just behind the times. I'm 49 yrs, bought ... BlackBerry Curve forum

alvik no está en línea Stack level 1

Considering 8310....from a phone neanderthal

Advertisement

Can anyone relate to this.....I don't feel old....just behind the times. I'm 49 yrs, bought first computer in 89 and have had several since, upgrading and learning new win/os and tools along the way. Fairly proficient.

Not so with phones. My first phone was a Moto Startac ten + years ago and I still use my current phone the same way. Never activated voice mail, never sent a text mssg. I invest/trade on Etrade and when away from office call in for live quotes.

Is the curve a good choice for me ? I think so. I'm asking for any advice users are willing to share. I've spent 10 plus hours reading this and other sites and have a few questions.

Presuming I get an 8310, I use ATT, will get BIS data plan, these are my needs...

Use a phone ...ok got that covered
    Browse the internet with few if any disconnects
    Check Yahoo Mail or Gmail once or twice a day.
    View email attachments, doc, xls, pdf...maybe I need documents to go

Do I need Opera Mini or other programs to do this?

I don't know the difference between an SSM and a Sim card......yet.

The most confusing to me is ...choosing from where and how to connect and download info. For instance, I need program G. There seems to be several ways to get it. Is there a more secure vs. less secure procedure. Handheld download vs. Desktop Mgr..... BB site Vs. ATT site for OS etc.

I'll only use a small portion of the Curve's capabilities I know. That will probably change as I use it.

Stable internet connectivity is key for me.

If you read this far, thank you. Any comments are much appreciated.

harm_dzines no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Considering 8310....from a phone neanderthal

Welcome to the stacks! I am 36 :cry: myself, just upgraded to a Curve from a Pearl, love it! But then again I was already used to the Pearl. Funny thing, we were watching home videos the other night and my wife had recorded me with our brand new Motorola back then (a good 15 years ago) it was the kind that looked like a small hand bag. IT WAS THAT BIG! It had a strap, I open up the bag and the battery was the size of a laptop now!
    Get the Curve, you'll love it!
    Last edited by harm_dzines; 10-04-2007 at 10:58 PM.

harm_dzines no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I used to use Opera mini, eventually went back to the BB browser. I have yahoo and Gmail downloaded to my Curve, but I also get any emails automatically pushed to my message inbox, I have Beamberry to view documents, BB today and Google talk and yahoo IM. I also have a 4gig media card for music/music videos/movies/pictures. I do most of my downloading of applications to my PC, then uplaod them using the desktop manager, unless of course it is only available thru OTA.
    Hope this helps!
    Last edited by harm_dzines; 10-04-2007 at 10:59 PM.

furtive no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7a47e9f3

The connection is as only as good as the service you have. If you're happy with ATT, then you'll be happy with the 8310. It's a good phone. Haven't tried to do online trading with it, so I can't speak to it.

To me, installing apps via Desktop Manager or Over the Air are just different ways of getting the same thing done. The BB browser is ok - there are things that it does that Opera doesn't and vice versa, but I'm able to do the quick stuff on it (news, sports, Google search, etc). It's an extension of my desktop, so I don't need to view anything major on it.

I've got Google mail pushed to my 8320, and it's pretty darn quick - a minute or two delay. If you didn't want that, the Google Mail client for Blackberry is pretty nice and I'd use that. Never used the Yahoo one.

Unfortunately, Documents To Go isn't out yet, and when it is, there will be a lot of happy people here.

Most places will allow you to try out the phone for 30 days. Pick one up, and if you don't like it, then take it back no questions asked. If/when you do get it and have questions, read the FAQs here and feel free to ask questions. It's how we all got started.

PIN/ID

you can access your tdameritrade account from your bb

alvik no está en línea Stack level 1

Thank you for the replies. Sometimes these forums can be a bit too technical for the beginner.

I'll be back with comments and questions when I get my 8310. I'm sold.

Looks like RIMM has plenty of ideas in the pipe and are growing mkt share.

.....this from today 10.5.07 RIMM earnings were released

Fan added that the upcoming release of the BlackBerry Unite software -- a free program that allows up to five people to share remotely share multimedia files and calendars -- could drive RIM's market penetration into the consumer sector.
    In a conference call, company officers highlighted strong sales of RIM's line of Pearl smart phones as well as the BlackBerry Curve. Both are devices that the company has targeted to the so-called "prosumer" market, meaning high-end consumers not typically picked up by RIM's strong corporate business.
    "This outperformance was driven by a strong product cycle perp as well as the diversification of our user base across multiple geographies and multiple market segments," CEO Jim Balsillie said during the call.
    According to Balsillie, more than 30% of the company's subscriber base now comes from outside the corporate environment.