New to my BB 8310 and learning my way through its capabilities... Using Bluetooth I ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Gemo no está en línea Stack level 1

Config 8310 for File Transfers

Advertisement

New to my BB 8310 and learning my way through its capabilities...

Using Bluetooth I have paired by 8310 (with Rogers) to my Dell PC (running XP) and from my PC (under Bluetooth Neighborhood\Blackberry 8310 I can 'see' the following entries;
    - Dialup Networking on BB 8310 (Not Connected)
    - Voice Gateway on BB 8310 (Connected) [Note: presuambly this means I could connect a BT Headset?]

What I'm looking to do however is be able to transfer files (eg mp3s, jpgs etc) between my PC and my BB using Bluetooth (I guess via OBEX...).

How do I set this up?

FYI -When I go to the BB Device Mngr (ver 4.2.2.10) under 'Device Connection', the 'Bluetooth Setting' check box is greyed out.

Also - on my BB under 'Manage Connections' when I click on 'Bluetooth Options' it just takes me back to the Bluetooth Enable - Paired Devices screen (showing my pairing with my PC).

There must be some way of setting up / configuring File Transfers...?

layedaway no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Config 8310 for File Transfers

make sure that your device is discoverable under bluetooth options. you have to recive the file by going into your media what ever the file is, pics, videos, ect and click recieve using bluetooth hope this helps

lew2 no está en línea Stack level 2

On the BB, go to Media, bring up the menu, and select Receive Using Bluetooth

Right-click the Bluetooth icon in the systray on your Dell (lower right corner of screen) and select "Send a File"

Follow the prompts.

To go the other direction, on the BB in Media bring up the menu, select Explore, find the file, bring up the menu, select Send Using Bluetooth.

On the PC, right-click the BT icon as above but select Receive a File.

Truth be told, it's just a lot easier to use a microSD card, plug the BB into a USB port, enable Mass Storage Mode, then use Windows Explorer to move stuff around.

Thanks for the help -

lew2 - In Media, I clicked on "Receieve Using Bluetooth" and get a "Waiting for Connection" dialog box...

Then I rt clkd my BT Icon in SysTray but I don't get a "Send a File" (only see Disable.., Quick Connect, Advanced Config, BT Set Up Wizard, and Explore MY BT Places - and none of those lead to a "Send a File")

Going the other way - I was able to actually send a (mp3) file from my BB to my PC! Yeah!

Thanks - hope you can help me figure out how to go from my PC -> BB.

P.S. As you say the best/easiest/fastest way is to connect my BB to my PC with the USB cable and then transfer files using Explorer - but wanted to make sure the BB interface is workable too.

Interesting -- I get a menu of "Add a Bluetooth Device, Show Bluetooth Devices, Send a File, Receive a File, Join a Personal Area Network, Open BT settings, Remove Bluetooth Icon".

Are you possibly running 3rd party bluetooth drivers and not the Microsoft ones? I seem to remember that Desktop Manager only works with the Microsoft drivers, but I may be wrong. I'm not able to help with how to switch the BT drivers around but info is on here or other forums, maybe search in the Bluetooth sub-forum?

Pretty sure I'm not using any special 3rd party drivers - I just loaded Desktop Mngr from the CD that came with my BB.

From Device Mngr on my Dell PC I went to Bluetooth Devices and updated the driver there - but that didn't seem to change/add anything to my rt-click selections for the BT icon in the Systray.

One thing I do notice - from the rt-click of the BT icon in Systray I select Advanced Configuration and then Local Services and see a list of 9 Services, including File Transfer which is noted as "Required" - and when I double click on File Transfer I see (under the General Tab): Start Automatically box is checked, Secure Com is checked etc.

Considering that File Trans is marked as "Required" does this mean I need to install something to get this services working???

If you see "Advanced Configuration" as a menu choice when you right-click the Bluetooth systray icon, you're using the Widcomm Bluetooth drivers -- the Microsoft drivers would show up as "Open Bluetooth Settings".

The BT drivers you're using would have been configured with the PC or when you added a bluetooth dongle -- i.e. they're unrelated to installing Desktop Manager.

As for switching from Widcomm to MS drivers, that's out of my area of expertise; I did it at one point months ago but don't remember enough to be helpful. Best to search here or on Google for instructions. I do seem to remember that to achieve Bluetooth syncing with your BB you need to be using the MS drivers and not Widcomm.

-- Lew
    Last edited by lew2; 01-30-2008 at 10:54 AM.

Good info re Widcomm vs MS drivers - might be very helpful - thanks Lew.

From my PC's (model D800) Add/Remove Programs, the Bluetooth appln s/w shows up as "Dell Bluetooth Software" - so presuambly Dell is using the Widcomm drivers ...(?)

I'll pursue further insights on the MS drivers for Bluetooth.
    Last edited by Gemo; 01-30-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Yep, Widcomm makes the drivers for pretty much everyone, chances are the Dell drivers are the Widcomm ones. It is possible to use the MS, I have them running on my D610 (Dell) using the Dell BT device.