CNET review, with video: http://reviews.cnet.com/RIM_BlackBer...?tag=pdtl-list... BlackBerry Curve forum

2-4Trippin no está en línea Stack level 3

CNET Reviews the BB Curve 8300

Advertisement

Last edited by 2-4Trippin; 05-03-2007 at 06:19 PM.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: CNET Reviews the BB Curve 8300

good read thanks!

exilio no está en línea Stack level 2

Man I hate Cnet, so full of themselves and their video reviews are too short.

Fiasco no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20D434D0

Cnet reviews are absolutely worthless. They have zero objectivity. All you get is the reviewer's personal opinion mixed in with the hype he/she was paid to talk up by the manufacturer and very little really useful information.
    Last edited by Fiasco; 05-06-2007 at 01:06 AM.
    "Be fair. Forgive. Be inspired. Inspire others."

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco
    Cnet reviews are absolutely worthless. They have zero objectivity. All you get is the reviewer's personal opinion mixed in with the hype he/she was paid to talk up by the manufacturer and very little really useful information.
    That may be the norm in your experience but did you bother to read the editors review on the page that was linked above. I found it had a lot more information about the Curve than just personal opinion. But then a review normally does depend a lot on the reviewer providing their opinion on the item. What good is just spitting out what information that is provided in the manufacture's releases

Rcbjr

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba

Good read!! I can't wait!!

Pearl_Diva no está en línea Stack level 2

I like CNET! Don't always agree with Bonnie but she's fun to watch! Read the full review then user reviews for a better perspective.

I do think CNET rates up the popular brands a bit too much, but I can also think for myself.
    Phone junkie! I've tried all types EXCEPT Blackberry! So I'm a BB Noob, please go easy on me, LOL!! I now have 3 Pearls, I guess that means I'm officially an addict?

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

I've never found their reviews to be all that useful but it's good to see the Curve getting attention...

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    I've never found their reviews to be all that useful but it's good to see the Curve getting attention...
    I'm with you 100% on this one. It's all about the exposure. The more the better. Since Cnet is such a mainstream site, even if we are less than thrilled with their work (that would be me) it's still better than nothing.

I have a friend in the publishing & advertising business and when I listen to him tell me the stories of what actually goes on behind the scenes it's absolutely amazing how corrupt things are. This is a man that has been doing this for over 20 years and is involved in all forms of advertising, TV, Print, Internet, etc. The stories are very telling.

It's this very attention, despite the individual reviewers opinion, that makes RIM and BlackBerry stronger and more popular.

I have maintained all along that one of the best benefits of the Pearl is the public attention, acceptance and sales that it has generated.

I've seen and heard of countless people that buy the Pearl and use it as a phone only. Never buying a data plan and using the device the way it was meant to be used. To which I say "who cares?" the key is sales and as long as RIM and the carriers are continuing to sell the Pearl model based on looks alone, it's a winner.

Cheers...

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl_Diva
    I do think CNET rates up the popular brands a bit too much, but I can also think for myself.
    Nice Work! Very well said...

For those like you that think for themselves, the possibilities are endless. True success comes from thinking and doing the work.

One of my favorite quotes:

"There is no problem, that can withstand the assault of sustained thinking"

JFK

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by archer6
    I've seen and heard of countless people that buy the Pearl and use it as a phone only. Never buying a data plan and using the device the way it was meant to be used. To which I say "who cares?" the key is sales and as long as RIM and the carriers are continuing to sell the Pearl model based on looks alone, it's a winner.
    A lot of people seem to have a really strong opinion that a Blackberry without a data plan is a waste. I know a lot of people that own Pearls without data plans and they're very happy with them. The fact that they are happy without the data plan speaks a lot for how RIM is headed in the right direction, IMO. They can definitely do more and shouldn't be resting on their laurels but the criticism about the lack of features in current models from some people is amusing. I guess those people have never seen a 7290 or older model (and they're not that old).

I'm definitely looking forward to the Curve being released in the US! Thanks for nabbing one early and sharing some real info with us.

2-4Trippin no está en línea Stack level 3

To the CNET disparagers in the messages above... YES! I agree! CNET has been a technical joke as a review site for the past few years. Those in the know, took whatever was spouted off on CNET, with many, many grains of salt.

But, if you read the depth of the review on the 8300, you'll find that there is real content there. It tells me that CNET is trying to improve their much maligned reviews, with new cooks.

Yes, just like a good restaurant, it's all up to to who's in the kitchen. This particular reviewer not only spoke of her like for the 8300 form factor and handling, but also her disappointment with the 2MP camera (poor auto white balance), the great support of attachment opening, even included accessories. I didn't know the 8300 would come with a case (unlike the Pearl/8800) and stereo headphones that auto-mute music when a call comes in. Hmmmm...

And... what other reviewer took the time to measure FCC radiation levels and tell us that the 8300 SAR rating may be a cause for concern?

"Hey honey... where's my dang Bluetooth headset for my 8300?!!"
    Last edited by 2-4Trippin; 05-21-2007 at 08:32 PM.