I have an 8300 just under a week old on Cingular (AT&T). Last week when ... BlackBerry Curve forum

dalem no está en línea Stack level 1

Clock suddenly wrong

Advertisement

I have an 8300 just under a week old on Cingular (AT&T). Last week when experimenting with the desktop software I noticed that the clock was wrong by a small amount (less than an hour). The "use network time" setting was on, so I just told it again to use network time and that set the clock correct. I figured perhaps something to with the connection to the computer messed up the clock - though the computer clock was correct.

However this morning the 9:00 AM alarm beeped alerting me to a 10:00 AM appointment. I didn't think it was 9 already, so I checked another clock and sure enough it was not. I think the 6:45 alarm wake up was the correct time, and yet the by 9 the phone had messed up it's clock.

Is this a software bug anyone has reported? I haven't been able to find mention of it. Here is the useful data:

--------------------------------------
    Settings -> Options -> Date/Time:
    Time zone: Pacific Time (-8)
    Time: 10:38
    Time Format: 12 hour
    Date: Mon, June 11, 2007
    Date/Time Source: Network
    Network Time: 10:19
    Network Date: Mon, Jun 11, 2007
    -------------------------------------

Note that the time source is set to Network, and yet the phone time and network time do not agree. The battery is fully charged. I turned the phone off after noticing this problem. I removed the battery for about 30 seconds, then powered it up again. The phone time display remained incorrect.

Settings -> Options -> about:
    v4.2.2.89 (Platorm 2.4.0.39)

This will be a fatal flaw, as I have to have a reliable time source in the phone for alarms. I did fix the "no calendar notification" problem by deleting the CICAL service book entries. I'm hoping this is a known problem that will have a software fix. Any info appreciated.

cingular_jr no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24045d7b

Re: Clock suddenly wrong

I had this happen when I connected it to my computer as well because for some goofy reason the Time zone reset. I have not heard if there was a known issue ticket on it or not. I simply reset the time zone and it was all better

Pearldiver01 no está en línea Stack level 1

on my 8100 pearl used to happen all the time. It would change my time zone to Eniwetok (-12). it hasnt done this in a while. mostly because I stopped connected to my desktop. I posted on this before but no reply.. im with cingular also.

biteboc no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Pearldiver01
    on my 8100 pearl used to happen all the time. It would change my time zone to Eniwetok (-12). it hasnt done this in a while. mostly because I stopped connected to my desktop. I posted on this before but no reply.. im with cingular also.
    +1 Mine keeps doing this all the time [Eniwetok (-12) time zone]. I did not realize it happened when I connect it to my PC but I now I be on the lookout for that. It is very annoying for sure. Is there a fix for that? BTW I'm with T-Mo
    Thanks.

RayinMaui no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by biteboc
    +1 Mine keeps doing this all the time [Eniwetok (-12) time zone]. I did not realize it happened when I connect it to my PC but I now I be on the lookout for that. It is very annoying for sure. Is there a fix for that? BTW I'm with T-Mo
    Thanks.
    I just got a T-Mobile Curve (8320) and whenever I sync it changes the time zone to Eniwetok also!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

synik103 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    OICU812

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~kill the "use network time"! You're telling your BB to update the time with whatever tower it hits, so if that tower is in another time zone, or off by a few minutes, your clock will change. I work in the central time zone but my employer uses eastern time, so I turned off "network time" and when I cross state lines, my clock stays put.

nyydynasty no está en línea Stack level 3

good to know. I have a similar issue and I never knew the difference between "network" and "blackberry" times

lol
    www.iamletired.com
    ...come one, come all....

fe
    fe no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by synik103
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~kill the "use network time"! You're telling your BB to update the time with whatever tower it hits, so if that tower is in another time zone, or off by a few minutes, your clock will change. I work in the central time zone but my employer uses eastern time, so I turned off "network time" and when I cross state lines, my clock stays put.
    When I owned the 8703e and now the curve my phone would always be off by 10 minutes or so. Whats the cause and how does one fix it?

rexlt no está en línea Stack level 1

I have found with both blackberry & other OS phones that the network time settings always muck up eventually for some as yet unexplained reason especially if you are on daylight savings time.

It appears to work better if you turn off the network time syncing & leave it on manual. When you sync with your computer the clock will generally be updated to the computer time (if you have not unchecked the update date/time settings in the desktop software). Of course ensure that your computer time is set properly before you sync.

PIN/ID
    OICU812

Quote Originally Posted by fe
    When I owned the 8703e and now the curve my phone would always be off by 10 minutes or so. Whats the cause and how does one fix it?

the cause is the device is polling other networks that may be off by any amount of time, the fix is turn off network time... as seen in the above posts.

on my 8100 its options>date/time>date/time source: OFF

dont forget to save your changes
    The above commentary is for entertainment purposes only. If this was actual joke the tone you just heard would have been followed by emergency response information. It's supposed to be fun people.

dsears33 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30bc7eec

same thing happened to me also when connecting to desktop.....eniwetok time zone also.....it was with vista..

MeatLoafT no está en línea Stack level 3

I have a question about this, I had the same problem, so I turned date/time source to OFF. I understand the NETWORK setting as well, but what is the BLACKBERRY setting? Does it sync the time with the DM?

DonGato no está en línea Stack level 3

If you have the option to do it yes. Check in Sync options (I mean in DM).

PIN/ID
    OICU812

Quote Originally Posted by MeatLoafT
    I have a question about this, I had the same problem, so I turned date/time source to OFF. I understand the NETWORK setting as well, but what is the BLACKBERRY setting? Does it sync the time with the DM?
    that's been my assumption... i just set the clock with something reliable and leave it alone...
    The above commentary is for entertainment purposes only. If this was actual joke the tone you just heard would have been followed by emergency response information. It's supposed to be fun people.