Just got my curve on tuesday from work. The IT guy that set it said ... BlackBerry Curve forum

afinewagoneer no está en línea Stack level 2

Charging Question from a n00B

Advertisement

Just got my curve on tuesday from work. The IT guy that set it said we are running blackberry enterprise server so dont install the desktop manager or else it will mess up the settings and it will have to be reset (wiped) so of course i didnt install it. now, however, when i plug in my bb via usb to charge it, i get an error message asking if the proper drivers are installed. it is plugged into a powered usb port (i tried the ones on the front and the back of my desktop, no luck on either). does anyone have a solution for this lowly newb?

Oh, i have perused the other forums and have learned much, thank you all for the plethora of info here.

PacketRat no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID

Re: Chargine Question from a n00B

loading the Blackberry handheld OS software will load the usb driver you need. Not the desktop manager. You can get the handheld OS software from your providers website.
    -------
    PacketRat
    258CDFE8

Cool, i will go and look for that now. thanks PR.

hmm, i tried. i am with at&t, went here wireless.att.com/support/setDevice.do?universe=cingular&make=RIMBlackBerry& model=Curve&x=6&y=8
    and found no link to download the handheld OS.
    Last edited by afinewagoneer; 08-17-2007 at 09:48 AM.

I went to the blackberry site - support, and they have available Blackberry Handheld Software v 2.6 and v 2.7a. is this what i need, also, which one 2.6 or 2.7a?
    thanks

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

I'm sure you need a newer vesion for os software, like 4.2 os.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PacketRat no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID

Try this link.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...b92b3e4d5d5fTR

Select Blackberry 8300

Software For BlackBerry Curve (8300) (AT&T) (TM) BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.186 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.2.2.186
    Consisting of:
    • Applications: 4.2.2.89
    • Software Platform: 2.4.0.39
    • File name: 8300EFIGS_Dutch_PBr4.2.2_rel186_PL2.4.0.39_A4.2.2. 89_AT&T.exe
    • File size: 71.98MB
    Note: Once installed, v .2.2.89 (Platform 2.4.0.39) will be displayed under Settings > Options > About on the handheld.
    Last edited by PacketRat; 08-17-2007 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Automerged.
    -------
    PacketRat
    258CDFE8

PR, i went to about and i already have that version and platform installed.

Re: Charging Question from a n00B

the IT guy at work sent me the drivers. I'll install it on monday and see if they work. fingers crossed.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Hi afinewagoneer and welcome to PinStack. Let us know if this doesn't work and I'll get you the correct version you need.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

Great, thanks Lavagirl, i'll post tomorrow if it works or not.

rrrebo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240466CA

Having Desktop Manager won't mess up your BES settings as long as you don't go monkeying around with the data sync methods. Any admin who tells you not to install DM is kind of loony, in my book. It means that he WANTS you to call him directly everytime you have a BlackBerry problem or need an app loaded or want any settings changed. It means he WANTS to go to your deskside everytime you need to wipe and restore your handheld. It also means that if you are ever on the road and your BlackBerry goes toes-up, you are dead in the water until you get home unless you have Desktop Manager on your lappy.

rrrebo, i insatalled the DM and it works fine now, i'll just stay away from the sync button.
    thanks everyone for all your help.

rrrebo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240466CA

Good idea. Truth be told, you should have no need to use DM except to back up/restore your device, or unless your IT guy/help desk is instructing you to.

Of course, you could always start teaching yourself all sorts of new and fascinating skills by reading some threads in an online forum for BlackBerry users, then trying them out on your company BlackBerry...things like removing Push-To-Talk, unlocking vendor themes, upgrading your OS, streaming audio to Bluetooth headsets.....if only there were such a place....

[Disclaimer]
    As a former Support Desk E-mail/RAS/BlackBerry analyst, I beseech thee: Do not monkey around with your company BlackBerry unless you are going to dedicate the time and effort to really do it right, and BACK UP FIRST! If your IT department really wants it to stay locked down, it behooves you to respect their wishes and follow the policies dictated by your company.

But ye gods, it's fun! NO! SHHHH! Quiet! No, it's really fun, all the neat things you can tweakSTOPIT!
    [/Disclaimer]

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Be careful with the install of the DM though. Installing it with the incorrect settings can break your BES connection. We've had a few people in our office do that. You have to set it up with your version of mail client and do not choose the desktop redirector or you'll only get mail when you plug in your phone.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I installed it, and when it asked if i was on BES i chose the other option. All i really wanted it for was so i can charge my bb via usb and to move files to my microSD card without haveing to pull it every time. this seems to have fixed both of my problems. i'm not going to mess with anything else. i have put on two extra themes and some third party apps and all is working well. again, thank you all for your help. rrrebo, i will continue to monitor these forums you speak of being ever aware to not try anything too outrageous as to anger the IT gods upstairs.