Random question. I've been charging the phone almost daily since I purchased it on Saturday. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Glenn J no está en línea Stack level 2

Charging

Advertisement

Random question. I've been charging the phone almost daily since I purchased it on Saturday. The battery never realy gets must lower then close to half way. Can the battery handle this...or should I let the charge get lower before a recharge?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Yes it is best to keep it fully charged. Someone else may be able to better explain why. I have heard conflicting stories as to why.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Check this info out:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

It's a good explanation of lithium batteries which is what is used in our phones. I think it'll answer all your questions.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Excllent link!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Yes, very interesting! I had always thought fully discharging the battery was appropriate, but apparently that's not so, at least for the new technology.

Thanks, J!

mrfidget no está en línea Stack level 2
    Wow that was almost too detalied~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Yes, very interesting! I had always thought fully discharging the battery was appropriate, but apparently that's not so, at least for the new technology.

Thanks, J!
    Me too, until I read this. We were thinking in the old ni-cad days of batteries when the "memory" issue was still around.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfidget View Post
    Wow that was almost too detalied~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Never too many details - you can always skip it if it's more than you need.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

spkack no está en línea Stack level 1
    If this is true (that it's better to keep it charged), why would HP, Dell and Lenovo all have you fully cycle the Li battery a couple of times when it starts to lose run time? I've had to do that on a couple lithium battery laptops and it seems to work well.

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Quote Originally Posted by spkack View Post
    If this is true (that it's better to keep it charged), why would HP, Dell and Lenovo all have you fully cycle the Li battery a couple of times when it starts to lose run time? I've had to do that on a couple lithium battery laptops and it seems to work well.

THis is also true of Motorola an Nokia, BUT the Balckberry manuels that came out with the 7100s and 7105s said to NEVER let the battery die all the way and said to charge it every day. I think they wrongly assume that we all follow the phone from its inception up to date and don't have to repeat certain info after a while

From page 65 of the 7100/7105 Manuel
    "Keep the battery at a full charge Charge your handheld for approximately 1 to 2
    hours each day."

Last edited by pda.teck; 05-28-2008 at 03:31 PM.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Well then I will be charging the little beauty every night then!

melonman12 no está en línea Stack level 2
    In my daily life working with cell phones this link is accurate and well researched. The important item to note in the article is the reference to "charge cycles". With most cell phones I work with the common battery failure is from maxing out on the cycle life. Every time you plug in your BB to charge it or plug it in to sync it is a "cycle" no matter if it is connected for 2 minutes or 2 days. If you sync it once a day and charge it once a day, then you could conceivably hit the max cycle life in less than a year. For that reason I only charge my BB when it gets down to about 50% and then whatever charge it acquires while I am syncing at the office.
    My wife takes my BB hand-me-downs and they all still have the original battery (some over 3 years old) without any noticeable battery life degradation for her (and trust me- she uses 2/3 of our 2000 minute plan each month!).

Quote Originally Posted by melonman12 View Post
    ...Every time you plug in your BB to charge it or plug it in to sync it is a "cycle" no matter if it is connected for 2 minutes or 2 days. If you sync it once a day and charge it once a day,...."
    Is there supporting documentation for this statement? I didn't see anything in the above-mentioned article for this and I just wondered. Thanks.

I charge my BB every night and don't intend to change that habit - I've never had a problem with battery failure but then I honestly don't pay that much attention to it...never had to replace one though.(?) I'd rather start the day with a full charge - that way I don't have to wonder whether the battery's "up" or "down."

Interesting on what constitutes a cycle. I plug my bb to the work computer daily to sync and that applies a certain amount of "charge".

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

melonman12 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Is there supporting documentation for this statement? I didn't see anything in the above-mentioned article for this and I just wondered. Thanks.

I charge my BB every night and don't intend to change that habit - I've never had a problem with battery failure but then I honestly don't pay that much attention to it...never had to replace one though.(?) I'd rather start the day with a full charge - that way I don't have to wonder whether the battery's "up" or "down."
    I did have some documentation of the charge cycle of lithium-ion when they first became mainstream- I'll see if I can locate it. The gist of the paper was that a cycle was any point when the phone was kicked into a state of charging as evident by the change of the battery icon on the display of the handset (or more technically by monitoring the phone in test mode). With that being said- anytime the phone was connected to a charger or USB cable technically is a charge cycle...

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by spkack View Post

I was going to ask this same question because I have all of the Seidio Extended Life Batteries for the 7100/8100/8120 and they say charge them 3-4 times to get the best performance out of them. I thought this meant let them die first THEN recharge them.

When I was using my 7100t/7105t I had a horrible habit of letting them die. The 7100t still works perfectly fine 3 years later (after having the first one replaced due to the same problem I'm having with my 8100/8120, poor signal behavior).
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 05-30-2008 at 12:47 AM.