I just purchased a Curve, but due to my company's new policy, they will not ... BlackBerry Curve forum

ripcord2000 no está en línea Stack level 1

Changing the PIN on the Curve

Advertisement

I just purchased a Curve, but due to my company's new policy, they will not update the PIN on my BES account, thus preventing me from receiving corporate email on my new device. In a discussion with a friend last night, we came up with the idea of taking an image on my old 8700c, putting that on the Curve and then upgrading the firmware to get the PIN from the 8700c to the Curve. Any thoughts? Anybody know of software that takes an image of the Blackberry?

Thanks,
    ripcord2000

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Re: Changing the PIN on the Curve

The pin is hard encoded in the CMOS chip along with the IMEI. I know IMEI's can be changed with the right software and testpoints involved, but haven't heard of anyone changing on one a BB or changing the PIN.

Zo

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

I don't think you can make an image of a BB. The PIN is unique to each BB, and there's no way to emulate or imitate it.

What's the reason your company won't put your new unit on the BES?

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

ripcord welcome to the stacks, glad you are around.

Sorry each PIN is assigned to the unit from the factory. No way to change the pin on a BB
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

is it really that big of a deal to switch devices on BES? i know i'm on BIS and DM allows me to switch devices. why are they not allowing it?

i wouldn't want my personal BB on a companies BES cause then they have control over what you can and can't do on it. but that's neither here nor there.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

I would imagine it probably has to do with the security of a removable memory card in the new unit.

Zo

ripcord2000 no está en línea Stack level 1

Company policy now states that only partners, principals or directors may have a BB device. If you're not a P/P/D, you are grandfathered in on the BES until such time as your current BB fails. When that happens, if you're not a P/P/D, you have to switch to the Treo 750 or Cingular 8525 - both pieces of junk when compared to a BB. My 8700c still works, but it's gotten beat up and the keyboard is starting to wear out. If I could get the PIN changed on the Curve that I bought, everything would work fine. Obviously, RIM doesn't want this to happen because they get paid every time a BB device gets activated on the BES. Was hoping there was some way to hack it.

Thanks for all the replies. Guess I'll return the Curve since I just don't have the desire to carry and pay for two devices, no matter how awesome the Curve is.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Can you forward your emails to a Yahoo or G-Mail account?

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

Depending on the permissions on your BES, the "Swap Device" wizard in Desktop Manager 4.2 SP2 might allow you to change the PIN in BES yourself, without involving IT staff.
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4

PacketRat no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID

Aroc is right That should work. load the new desktop manager and do a swap device. I would caution you though you don't really want to do something that could cause your job. Be careful..
    -------
    PacketRat
    258CDFE8

Mizzou no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20E22C7E

I "swap deviced"ed my Pearl to Curve and the Pin didn't change.

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ u sure bout that? The PIN is like a fingerprint... Uinique to each device - swappin it should have only migrated data and settings...

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27

there is no way to swap a PIN it's a Personal Identification Number unique to each phone and only that phone...otherwise anyone could spoof a BB PIN and then all those "classified e-mails and BB Messages" would go to whoever spoofed your PIN instead of your BB...it's kinda like saying you have a '97 Honda civic that's beat up but has full insurance coverage and maintenance...and you just bought a new '08 Accord with no insurance or dealer maintenance so you want to swap the VID #s on your cars so that your insurance and dealer will think that it's the same old '97 civic...not gonna happen sorry...hope this helps

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Doesn't sound like a RIM issue to me. Sounds like a security issue of not being able to change the IMEI and PIN. I am kinda glad you can't!

jhowle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3115EE05

what it is, is that your phone has an IT Policy on it that prevents the use of the PIN number. To fix it you can either remove the IT Policy or have them check it out than reinstall the policy.
    Looking for new buddies. Add me pin# 3115EE05